Soon to be S3 Owner. :)

Bobwas4

Reaction score
Hello everyone and happy new year fellow audi owners.

Just a quick question how is everyone finding their s3's? I have ended my contract early on my mk7 gtd for this car as I wasn't happy with it. I got the feeling my GTD was a Friday afternoon car and the other big part was I just had to get owning an audi out of my system, as all of my cars have been vw.

Quick question is everyone happy with the build quality of their s3?

and,

Is anyone running a DTUK box on their s3? as I had 1 on my GTD and it was excellent. It did enjoy eating tyres with 500nm of torque tho :/

Welcome to the forum.
I am still happy with my S3 8 months on. Also have the DTUK box installed. It's not the most aggressive car but it is fast. Still makes me feel good when I'm driving around and still smile when I look at it.

There are a lot of mixed feelings on the S3 but it's all down to personal preferences.

I love mine.

Hi, and welcome.
I'm more than happy with my S3. No real complaints at all.
You don't really want Sepang Blue though!

Reactions: Psyman79
Hi & :welcome!: to Audi-sport.net!

As I haven't taken delivery of my S3 yet I can't answer any of your questions, however there is sure to be some members along who can :thumbs up:

My S3 is due 1st March so can't comment, but i love my TDI 170 Quattro, so i can't see me being disappointed !

before the others get on and tell you its not a proper drivers cars, i have covered 3000km in mine so far and am still happy.

I came out of a mk6 GTI stage 1, and I found the interior a step up from the GTI and much prefer the outline of the SB compared to the boxy Golf.

As I needed a s-tronic a slight lag off the line was noticeable (compared to a manual golf) , but otherwise the performance is faultless and even more deceiving than the GTI. (just check your speedo when accelerating !) and in normal traffic the lag isn't there.

The interior is comfortable for 4 adults and 5 adults for short trips and the build quality is better than my Golf, which was plagued with too many rattles and mechanical failures over the years.

I don't have any issues with way the MMI navigation works or the quality of the Audi sound system , but our Oz models come highly optioned up, so it might not be comparable to your spec.

In other words overall a step up from a GTI or GTD.

Took delivery of our S3 back in Oct, so nearly 12 weeks, but sadly haven't really had time to drive it a great deal - work commitments and Christmas/New Years holiday. Only done 770km, and most of that is driving to and from work, and only have refilled the car once.

Are we happy with the car? Love it, it's everything we expected from owning an Audi, only had Subarus and Mitsubishi in the past, and the Audi build quality, interior and exterior are great.

I love how it drives, and handles, but that could be because my previous daily drive was a big heavy Pajero.

Got mine in April plugged the MTM stage 1 in June. Just received my VCDS Cable for some minor tunning. Very happy with ! :)

Five months and 7000 miles in, I'm still very pleased with mine. Less of a drivers car than either of my previous two Leon Cupra's, the quality is good, dealer service great, it's a nice place to be, and the performance and handling is more than adequate for my needs and general road use.

Apart from the infamous 'window rattle' I've had no issues, but I have at least found a way of controlling it until it next goes in.

All in all I'm so pleased I got it (and that it's not that seeping blue colour ;) )

thank you all for your input, I chucked my golf in as my front passenger side wing is not fitted correctly and has chipped my headlight, back doors have rubbed paint away on the inside c pillar and the car has decided it no longer likes stop start and you have to manually start the engine and when it does it goes into limp mode with a flashing glow plug light, so bye bye golf.

These were the only reasons I asked I will be picking my s3 up in daylight so I can go over it as I picked up the golf up in the dark (BIG MISTAKE).

Stevee I was tempted with sepang blue but wife and mother talked my into getting white AGAIN. 1st mods I think will be VWR springs as I had them on the golf and they handled excellent and not to firm and a DTUK box :)

Can recommend Glacier white, I had it on a 184 and it looked good especially in the sun light. Goes well with the black pack too.

I thought everyone would get the black pack, my spec was =

roof rails
glacier white
10 spoke alloys
led headlights
Interior light pack
Comfort pack (auto lights, dimming mirror, etc, cruise control, parking sensors front n rear)
I DIDNT ORDER auto cruise control as I hate it on my mk7 gtd the anti collision thing is FAR to sensitive especially when people turn off left or right and it slams on the breaks.
Folding mirrors
Tech pack 7" nav
hill hold

i just cant wait to get my mits on it.

1st mods may be vwr springs as they were absolutely epic on the golf, cornered so flat but wasn't to harsh.
DTUK box as 370bhp sounds even better ;)

PS thank you all for the warm welcome, much friendlier here than the golf 7 forum.

Reactions: Blackwhite
1st mods may be vwr springs as they were absolutely epic on the golf, cornered so flat but wasn't to harsh.

You'll need them, as well as replacement dampers, if you want to drive enthusiastically. The S3 setup as standard is akin to 4 pogo sticks, one in each corner.

Last edited:
it was just so fun to take corner quick and no roll or understeer. despite big heavy diesel up front (GTD) il sell my current springs then to get the new 4motion/Quattro springs :)

Done 15,000 miles in mine since May. I absolutely love it. Puts a smile on my face. I get 30 to the gallon most of the time. I get between 250 and 320 miles per tank of v power not that I'm really bothered about fuel consumption (anymore...)

The build quality is great and launch control is excellent. It is a car that understeers on the limit but you can provoke it a lot before you get there. I love the interior it's excellent and very comfy (I came from an A6) does everything it needs to do very well.

Mine has suffered a couple of small issues. It was going into Audi tomorrow for a service as I'm driving the car to Morzine next Friday. It had to go in a day early as I was picked up by the AA at 8.30 this morning due to the engine coolant light coming on (I don't tend to keep a stock of coolant). The upshot is that it's probably just a seasor anyway. I'm not chasing them for an update. Why you think? RS4 courtesy car.

You can't go wrong with an Audi.

Welcome mate, I love mine, only 450 miles in but love it. Great fun, always puts a smile on my face

You'll need them, as well as replacement dampers, if you want to drive enthusiastically. The S3 setup as standard is akin to 4 pogo sticks, one in each corner.

Hi V8, just out of interest are you planning on replacing your springs & dampers anytime soon ? :)

Love my glacier white S3.......collected 19/12. There are pics in the usual place. Nice choice mate.

I don't own an S3, but since the build quality should be the same as all A3's, i'm very happy with it.

Nope. The whole car :)
If my memory serve's me right, for one of these (if they ever make them) ;)
1200x900_2.jpg

Reactions: veeeight

I would regretfully agree with this - one particularly good instance up in Glencoe where the S3 tried to bounce me off the road! However, the upside (insert Monty Python tune here) is that the suspension's nice and comfortable...

evo S3 Reviews:

Funny how one says that you can't make the back end step out and the other has great fun throwing the tail out...just goes to show driver ability can have a large effect on a cars performance.

Funny how one says that you can't make the back end step out and the other has great fun throwing the tail out...just goes to show driver ability can have a large effect on a cars performance.

I thought that at first. But then listened carefully.
The first said that he couldn't make the back step out under power - just on lift off
And that is indeed what the second was doing.

And I concur, I do frequently (most days ;) ) let the back end come around at will, on lift-off :)
It is quite difficult to get a "proper" drift when there's grip, you just end up managing the understeer. Different in the wet though.

I completely disagree with the left foot braking comment though. On my car if you try that, all power is cut, and there is a delay before the throttle is responsive again.

Last edited:
I thought that at first. But then listened carefully.
The first said that he couldn't make the back step out under power - just on lift off
And that is indeed what the second was doing.

And I concur, I do frequently (most days ;) ) let the back end come around at will, on lift-off :)
It is quite difficult to get a "proper" drift when there's grip, you just end up managing the understeer. Different in the wet though.

I completely disagree with the left foot braking comment though. On my car if you try that, all power is cut, and there is a delay before the throttle is responsive again.

Ahh..now that makes a bit more sense, only watched them once as I'm at work lol!!

Agree with you on the left foot braking part though, all of my previous VAG cars have done that and I find it so annoying at times!! Wonder if there's a way to stop that with VCDS....???

I think its a safety thing, following on some class action lawsuits in the USA.

There had been a spate of owners/drivers accidently pressing both the accelerator and brake pedal simultaneously and the car lurching into walls/garages/houses/pedestrians etc.

So now, if both pedals are pressed simultaneously, it limits power.