Soon to be first time Audi owner

RedDanny

Reaction score
Evening all. First time on this site so please bare with me.Im going to collect an a3 2004 sportback 2.0 TFSi Quattro on Thursday after my mondeo st220 was written off 10 days ago. I’ve never owned an Audi so don’t know what to expect but looking forward to it. I’ve done a little research into tuning and I’m led to believe a full turbo back sports cat system is the best base for any future mods. However, I’ve just seen the price of these systems and literally sh*t my pants. So quick question, how much more power could I realistically expect from a CAI plus map on 99 Ron? Any advice would be most welcome. Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You'll find all you need to know here plus much more, really a great place for all things audi etc with some excellent banter..lol
As this is your 1st ownership of an audi be prepared for a love hate relationship..lol, best of luck.:icon thumright:

Reactions: DJ_26
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You'll find all you need to know here plus much more, really a great place for all things audi etc with some excellent banter..lol
As this is your 1st ownership of an audi be prepared for a love hate relationship..lol, best of luck.:icon thumright:
I’ve

Hi Danny, welcome to Audi-sport.net. Have moved you into the A3 8P section. Enjoy.

Welcome to site, heaps off info on here but if ur going to do mods to your car i hope you have long pockets with no holes lol.
Take ur time to work u way around the site and visit each section as there is a wealth off information on here from guys who have been building vag cars .
Check out your own section ie 8l ,8p , 8v and look at the stickes as they are there for good reason .
But most off all enjoy the site and your car

Welcome to the forum.

For an A3, I'd with those mods you are looking at around 270-280hp if the engine is in great shape. With a simple stage 1 tune, I'm sitting at around 250hp on my 2012 2.0tfsi.

Adding a sports catted downpipe + stage 2 would bring it at around 280.

My experience with the car so far has been real smooth but with an older car, I guess you really need to keep on top of things. Do all the big maintenance items first then go nuts on the mods :)

Enjoy, it's a fun ride!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4a en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Welcome to the forum! As already mentioned above - plenty of info on here and lots of good guys/girls with plenty of knowledge.

I'd agree with everything said so far, get ready for a love/hate relationship and get ready to dig deep into your pockets too because the list of possible mods never ends :tearsofjoy:

But it's absolutely worth it, the A3 is an amazing platform to tune, plenty of mods and additions available out there with cosmetics as well and overall are solid cars!

There's a great sticky about preventative maintenance as well and although it's aimed mainly at the S3, there will be some crossover to the A3 to keep the engine as good and strong as possible!

Keep us updated with the mods over the time and welcome once again!

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
This is my personal opinion, and something I do to any used car I buy but it's entirely up to you if you choose to do the same or not.
1) Check the sticky thread about preventative maintenance and work through the list to see if any of it applies.
2) Check the service history, and ensure Spark plugs, coil packs, fuel filter, cam belt etc have met their service intervals and focus on them if they haven't.
3) If you have Haldex (4 wd) then ensure you get the oil and filter changed unless there is evidence of it being done within last 30k
Change oil and filter regardless of when it was last done. Previous owners wanting to sell their car's rarely use decent oil and filter because it won't be their car for much longer. Get the best spec of each that you can afford. Genuine parts aren't that expensive.
if the car has done high miles and the clutch hasn't been changed, consider it as a potential weakspot.

Once all that is done, start to look at tuning. Tuning an unhealthy car will lead to problems sooner, and the money you had available is now spent on a remap and you have to sort the issues on a smaller budget.

This is how I treated my car and it's running approx 320bhp at 140k miles and hasn't missed a beat.

After going through Davy’s recommendations, get yourself booked into RTech for your map. I believe there is quite a wait so that will give you some time to think about your hardware.
It is the increase in torque that you fell as acceleration and so a stage1+ map can be done with just an upgraded fuel pump or a cheaper option just is upgraded fuel pump internals. Whilst at RTech they will check everything over and it is maybe worth having the inlet valves walnut blasted and injectors cleaned out as part of a package.

Reactions: DJ_26 and Daveyonthemove