SQ5 Soon to be an sq5 tfsi owner

Cooky0630

Reaction score
Good morning all,

It's time for us to sell our much loved audi a3 black edition and move into something bigger and hopefully a whole lot better.

The search is on for a nicely specd 2017/2018 audi sq5.

I was hoping some owners or people I the know could help me out with what to look out for and any known problems (hopefully not many).

Look forward to hearing from you. And thank you in advance.

Good morning all,

It's time for us to sell our much loved audi a3 black edition and move into something bigger and hopefully a whole lot better.

I was hoping some owners or people I the know could help me out with what to look out for and any known problems (hopefully not many).

Look forward to hearing from you. And thank you in advance.

A great choice, Jordan, but try a back-to-back if possible with the Bi-TDi variant, I/we did, see: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/

Good morning all,

I have the 2017/18 Q5/SQ5 Price and Specification Guide if you need - just PM me your email address

SQ5 price list

Reactions: Cooky0630
A great choice, Jordan, but try a back-to-back if possible with the Bi-TDi variant, I/we did, see: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/
I have been having a good read of that this morning, thank you.
We do really like the Bi!TDi as well so would be great to have a drive of them both (will have to wait till the C word is over an done with!).
I think the wife will like the newer shape though and the mod cons. We where going to get a RSQ3 last year but pulled out last minute due to cost

Reactions: 45bvtc
I had a 2017 SQ5 (September) for 2 years and 22000 miles. It never missed a beat, and I really liked it. Ride could be a bit lumpy on 21s and being an SUV the boot wasn’t as practical shaped as a normal estate (I have a dog in a crate on most journeys). Mine was matador red, pan roof, B&O sound, 21s, few other bits. A really good car, so refined, made a nice noise when you pushed it, and would do 34 on a long run...

I swapped it for an M5 because I could - which lasted 11 months (remember that dog in a crate...). I now have an RS4 which in most ways is like the SQ5, but a slightly more practical boot and a bit more power...and no pan roof, despite what everyone says they aren’t a necessity and do sod all for resale.

Reactions: NevMan and 45bvtc
and no pan roof, despite what everyone says they aren’t a necessity and do sod all for resale.

Must admit to using the pano-roof ALL the time - but then we've always had a rag-top car since 1966 (still have) so for sure enjoy top-down/roof-off/roof open motoring even on a winters day: for sure our SQ5 would not, for us, be as enjoyable without the pano-roof. As for ALL the light inside with the shade fully-back - makes the RS3 feel as dark my apprenticeship days underground

Each to their own

Happiness is an AUDI dog
46.gif

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we have just put a deposit on a 2017 black sq5 with a nice load of extras. Has the grey seats too which we wherent sure on in pictures but love them in person. Only thing it doesn't have that I would have liked is the air suspension but not a big problem.

Hopefully won't be long and we can pick it up.

Reactions: isleaiw and 45bvtc
Must admit to using the pano-roof ALL the time - but then we've always had a rag-top car since 1966 (still have) so for sure enjoy top-down/roof-off/roof open motoring even on a winters day: for sure our SQ5 would not, for us, be as enjoyable without the pano-roof. As for ALL the light inside with the shade fully-back - makes the RS3 feel as dark my apprenticeship days underground

Each to their own

Happiness is an AUDI dog
46.gif

Sorry mate could not work out how to pm you earlier

Sorry mate could not work out how to pm you earlier

No worries, I did send you a PM with my e-mail address. Here's a list of what I have:

SQ5 brochures

Good luck with the car, you will enjoy I am sure

Take care, stay safe

Good choice with a petrol SQ5!

I've had my 2018 68 plate SQ5 for 18 months now and its been great! A few things I've had replaced under warranty: servo due to click brake pedal and steering rack due to noise coming from the steering column. Make sure any 2017 onwards (mk2) SQ5 you are looking at has had this work done.

Mpg wise I get around 25mpg around town which suits me as I drive about 8k a year (even less now that I WFH). If you are a low mileage driver then consider a petrol SQ5 over a diesel one.

I’ve had mine over three years now and cannot fault it. It’s only done 19k miles with Covid meaning a massive 3k last year. Tyres still have 5mm and brakes are only 20% worn according to recent service.

I did have a bit of a wobble around the three year mark and thought of changing it but, having considered moving to a RS4 or Macan GTS I just couldn’t see the point.

It’s just as quick, in the real world, up to speed limits, handles very well on the standard adjustable suspension, is a very comfy place to put in long journeys with a boot full of kit and has all the tech you can really need.

Yes the lack of touch screen is annoying and the lack of spare wheel is also a bizarre thing to do and can be somewhat anxiety inducing but those are the only things that have bothered me.

Mpg can be up above 40mpg on a long run but I didn’t buy it for its economy.

Overall it’s the perfect blend of quick, sporty, practical and comfort - I cannot see a reason for me to change for the foreseeable future.

I’ve had mine over three years now and cannot fault it. It’s only done 19k miles with Covid meaning a massive 3k last year. Tyres still have 5mm and brakes are only 20% worn according to recent service.

I did have a bit of a wobble around the three year mark and thought of changing it but, having considered moving to a RS4 or Macan GTS I just couldn’t see the point.

It’s just as quick, in the real world, up to speed limits, handles very well on the standard adjustable suspension, is a very comfy place to put in long journeys with a boot full of kit and has all the tech you can really need.

Yes the lack of touch screen is annoying and the lack of spare wheel is also a bizarre thing to do and can be somewhat anxiety inducing but those are the only things that have bothered me.

Mpg can be up above 40mpg on a long run but I didn’t buy it for its economy.

Overall it’s the perfect blend of quick, sporty, practical and comfort - I cannot see a reason for me to change for the foreseeable future.

I now have RS4 and for my needs it is absolutely perfect and just takes the 9/10 for the SQ5 to 10/10.

cant see me swapping any time soon...

I did think about the RS for a long time and totally agree with your 9/10th’s comment, but I came to the conclusion that I prefer the ride on the SQ, mine is on 20’s, and little things like the sliding into it rather than down into it coupled with the depreciation I have experienced and then the significant hike in insurance (I’m in my 40’s now with full NCB and it was £1400).

A new Macan GTS was very very close but when it came down to it, paying another £20k for a vehicle that was pretty much the same as I have now, after a bit of thinking, didn’t make any sense.

So for now I’m holding onto the SQ5 and am not disappointed at all. I did just pick up a ‘09 A4 Cab to have a bit of fun in so maybe I’ll get more into the lower positioning over time....

I did think about the RS for a long time and totally agree with your 9/10th’s comment, but I came to the conclusion that I prefer the ride on the SQ, mine is on 20’s, and little things like the sliding into it rather than down into it coupled with the depreciation I have experienced and then the significant hike in insurance (I’m in my 40’s now with full NCB and it was £1400).

A new Macan GTS was very very close but when it came down to it, paying another £20k for a vehicle that was pretty much the same as I have now, after a bit of thinking, didn’t make any sense.

So for now I’m holding onto the SQ5 and am not disappointed at all. I did just pick up a ‘09 A4 Cab to have a bit of fun in so maybe I’ll get more into the lower positioning over time....

fully agree, the cost to change is outrageous, and looked at sensibly there really is no justification.

I’d bought an M5 after the SQ5, because I wanted one, but it was the wrong car for me so I could justify the change in my head!

and I definitely prefer seating position in estate over SUV...

Reactions: Dan_G

SQ5 and an A4 cab - excellent choice sir :)

Reactions: Dan_G
Managed to pick the car up a week early! First impressions we are both extremely happy with the new purchase.

Thanks for the message and advice I'm sure I'll be adding some questions in the future.

Now time to go for another drive :)

Managed to pick the car up a week early! First impressions we are both extremely happy with the new purchase.

Thanks for the message and advice I'm sure I'll be adding some questions in the future.

Now time to go for another drive :)

Enjoy...

Reactions: Cooky0630