Facelift Soon be time to say goodbye

Ah... so all this enthusiasm for essentially boring cars is down to HMRC and BIK taxation.

Ridiculous world we live in !

#peoplesvote. #keepyourRS/SAudi

What is ridiculous is the amount of tax we all pay ! ... it does my head in when I see the amount we pay in tax ... so yeah if there is a loop hole to save a good chunk of money I will happily embrace it :icon thumright:

Audi & the taxman will be loving you lol with your RS4 sat on the drive all week & then commuting Mon to Fri in your S3. Road fund licence renewal will be a fun month for you as well as servicing & tyres :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag: :dizzy:

Hey ... if you wanna spend your dosh on cars & it makes you happy then I say that’s fine & I’ve personally lived my life like that for many years. But I’ve just become more aware lately of how much things like depreciation in cars has been costing us for the last decade & it’s serious money.

We’ve got a great two car balance now & I will always get something S or RS (or AMG lol) but I will also keep my car longer to eek out it’s value further. As I’ve mentioned before in this thread, I think a few of us feel the same way & are buying cars now with our head rather than our heart :yes:

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Bristle Hound and 2 others
What is ridiculous is the amount of tax we all pay ! ... it does my head in when I see the amount we pay in tax ... so yeah if there is a loop hole to save a good chunk of money I will happily embrace it :icon thumright:

Audi & the taxman will be loving you lol with your RS4 sat on the drive all week & then commuting Mon to Fri in your S3. Road fund licence renewal will be a fun month for you as well as servicing & tyres :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag: :dizzy:

Hey ... if you wanna spend your dosh on cars & it makes you happy then I say that’s fine & I’ve personally lived my life like that for many years. But I’ve just become more aware lately of how much things like depreciation in cars has been costing us for the last decade & it’s serious money.

We’ve got a great two car balance now & I will always get something S or RS (or AMG lol) but I will also keep my car longer to eek out it’s value further. As I’ve mentioned before in this thread, I think a few of us feel the same way & are buying cars now with our head rather than our heart :yes:

I absolutely understand buying with your head and your heart. The BIK tax regime is as ridiculous a Brexit and we need to be more vocal to our politicians on both matters.

I have now done over 10k miles in my S3 having lost no more than 4K. My 45p per mile covers about £3500 minus fuel. Not a bad deal really eh?

As for RS ownership, that will always be costly but not that bad. 2014-2016 RS3 depreciation £250 a month. The RS4 was bought with a big discount and currently valued at just under £60k.

Clearly it’s personal but for me I don’t want to lose shed loads of money but equally could not live with a hybrid as I have no need to save BIK tax.
My RS4 doesn’t sit on the drive all week by the way. That would be a terrible waste.

I absolutely understand buying with your head and your heart. The BIK tax regime is as ridiculous a Brexit and we need to be more vocal to our politicians on both matters.

I have now done over 10k miles in my S3 having lost no more than 4K. My 45p per mile covers about £3500 minus fuel. Not a bad deal really eh?

As for RS ownership, that will always be costly but not that bad. 2014-2016 RS3 depreciation £250 a month. The RS4 was bought with a big discount and currently valued at just under £60k.

Clearly it’s personal but for me I don’t want to lose shed loads of money but equally could not live with a hybrid as I have no need to save BIK tax.
My RS4 doesn’t sit on the drive all week by the way. That would be a terrible waste.

If you can keep the RS4 for a few years (more than 3) and I think it’s a car you could keep indefinitely - more so if you’re only driving it at weekends so keeping the miles low - then that will make it even better value.

Edit - just read you drive the 4 in the week too - wtf lol 250 miles a day in the S3 & still time to drive the 4 ?

If you’re getting 45p per mile then just think how much you’d save if it were a Golf GTD or similar ? I still can’t get my head round an S3 as a commute car lol sorry mate.

My RS still feels new after nearly 3 years but it’s only done 12,000 miles to be fair ... so another reason to keep it longer. I do very low miles so the car is a luxury but it still makes me smile when I drive it :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan
If you can keep the RS4 for a few years (more than 3) and I think it’s a car you could keep indefinitely - more so if you’re only driving it at weekends so keeping the miles low - then that will make it even better value.

Edit - just read you drive the 4 in the week too - wtf lol 250 miles a day in the S3 & still time to drive the 4 ?

If you’re getting 45p per mile then just think how much you’d save if it were a Golf GTD or similar ? I still can’t get my head round an S3 as a commute car lol sorry mate.

My RS still feels new after nearly 3 years but it’s only done 12,000 miles to be fair ... so another reason to keep it longer. I do very low miles so the car is a luxury but it still makes me smile when I drive it :icon thumright:
I'm on 13k in the 4 Snake, come on man keep up ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin

Your RS3 is shall l say.. A bit of a ornament 3 years old and 12000 miles mate the engine is barely run in, l sure wouldn't be in a rush to chop it in for the now inferior new cars that the VAG group are throwing out and even worse A tatty chintzy Merc
If l only covered 4k miles a year and where looking to change cars l would be looking at used sport cars ie Porsche etc etc

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Can’t wait to start using my car for work and getting 45p per mile as long as I can charge it for free when I get where I’m going.

Come on guys it’s the future

Just need that V8 sound pumped through the speakers and we are sorted...........oh and better range and more charge points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and 1 other person

I’m not doing 25o every day now. Probably 2500 a month in total. The S3 pretty much pays for itself at 45p a mile with good discount and good residuals. Yes I could save a mint with an A1 Tdi but the S3 is a great motorway commute car especially with an RS as back up. When I’m in charge I will stop the ever changing BIK regime and car tax system.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Can’t wait to start using my car for work and getting 45p per mile as long as I can charge it for free when I get where I’m going.

Come on guys it’s the future

Just need that V8 sound pumped through the speakers and we are sorted...........oh and better range and more charge points

Trouble with electric is I cannot get to where I’m going and really can’t be faffed with 8m electric cables. Don’t want a BMW either. Same goes for Electric Lawnmowers .. give me a good petrol anytime with roller and stripes .. happy days.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and BarryG79
Your RS3 is shall l say.. A bit of a ornament 3 years old and 12000 miles mate the engine is barely run in, l sure wouldn't be in a rush to chop it in for the now inferior new cars that the VAG group are throwing out and even worse A tatty chintzy Merc
If l only covered 4k miles a year and where looking to change cars l would be looking at used sport cars ie Porsche etc etc

Exactly & like I say a luxury but it’s always been that way for me & why I’m keeping the RS at least 4 years.

Reactions: Jcbmally

I use my S3 as my work car. Commute all round Cambridgeshire in it, get paid 45p a mile. Money I make on the fuel from work covers the fuel cost, the rest I save and now have enough money saved to comfortably cover tyres, brakes etc.

Having just sat my tax exam, BIK tax is insane hybrid or not, even more so if you get paid company fuel. Most of the time better off paying for the fuel yourself to avoid the BIK on it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I use my S3 as my work car. Commute all round Cambridgeshire in it, get paid 45p a mile. Money I make on the fuel from work covers the fuel cost, the rest I save and now have enough money saved to comfortably cover tyres, brakes etc.

Having just sat my tax exam, BIK tax is insane hybrid or not, even more so if you get paid company fuel. Most of the time better off paying for the fuel yourself to avoid the BIK on it.

Thanks Adam! Glad someone else sees the benefit of running their own car!

Reactions: NevMan and Adam14
Summed it nicely there mate Quattro is on its own from a standstill.........Loved driving my sons TDI quattro TT cab.....fooking run rings round my S3

Very true.
As for cornering though.......We’ve got a couple of motorway slip roads which are 270 degree curves near us.
In the S3 I can take them at 55 mph but in the FWD TT I can do it at 60+
The Mk3 TT is planted it’s just quattro is missed when pulling away or accelerating hard especially in hears 1 - 3

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and BarryG79
quattro TT is great but don’t like the handling with fwd. major drawback is space and coupe feels very claustrophobic to me (no sunroof option). Also lacking space to keep the hairdressing scissors....incoming .

Reactions: Terminator x
Cheers, I hope so!

Less than £5k for 18 months motoring for a £37k car, cheap as chips mate

That's more than my RS3 cost me. £4500 18 months depreciation. (£6k 2 years)

Reminds me of this: A bloke that lives near me bought an old lime green Focus RS earlier in the year, I was shocked when I saw what they go for!

A 2011 RS https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808209664503

A 2016 RS https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811172504610

Snake Pliskin said:
As I’ve mentioned before in this thread, I think a few of us feel the same way & are buying cars now with our head rather than our heart :yes:
I just wish I knew what to do lol, had the car 14 month and not even on 4,000 mile yet! I last used it on Thursday, since then I've either walked, ordered a taxi (night out drinking) or got a lift to where I've needed to go. The wallet says buy something and keep it 10 years and just run it into the ground, but the heart says differently :) I need a reliable car for work as it's not on a bus route and is too far to walk and I'm not doing a lift share as I like to be able to go if needed!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

If it’s your one & only car fair enough ... but RG has a frickin awesome RS4 as his main car - the S3 is the ‘work horse’ lol ... it’s a stunning ‘fleet’ @RGBARGEE has though & two very nice cars :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jcbmally and RGBARGEE
Very true.
As for cornering though.......We’ve got a couple of motorway slip roads which are 270 degree curves near us.
In the S3 I can take them at 55 mph but in the FWD TT I can do it at 60+
The Mk3 TT is planted it’s just quattro is missed when pulling away or accelerating hard especially in hears 1 - 3

Totally agree mate the TT is a superb handling car & nimble without the Quattro weight. On a dry (especially hot) day they grip & get the power down really well.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I run my S3 as a airport car (i.e. 99% of its use is to a long term airport car park and back), bought new whilst looking for reasonable value reasonably fast transport for <£30k.

Now 4.5yrs old and still worth £17-18k , done 32k miles and only annual servicing and used 2 sets of tyres, inside as new.
If you can afford it and intend keeping it a while (leaving ego/number plate age at the door) then buying outright can make sense. However got to be the right car at the right price, I hate losing money in any form but as a mainstream performanceish car goes it has done pretty well. Now at stage1 and is every bit as quick on real roads and fast real world driving as the current RS4/911 GT3 (P needs to be rev'd out to make its performance count) so for me no reason to change......regularly have a blat around rural France with a couple of mates ;) The S3 is inert but can be made to hustle.

300 to 350 or 350 to 400 on the road makes diddly difference compared to a decent driver and that newer versions of cars don't always make a step forward makes you question loads. Never forget the original Cossies 'only' came with 200-220bhp, never has 300bhp been so easy to use in any conditions..........saying that having recently lost quattro (haldex pump) I can assure you the S3 is a bit of a mess without it!

Sun pm post, sorry

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and RGBARGEE
If it’s your one & only car fair enough ... but RG has a frickin awesome RS4 as his main car - the S3 is the ‘work horse’ lol ... it’s a stunning ‘fleet’ @RGBARGEE has though & two very nice cars :icon thumright:
I am lucky on the car front or you could say unlucky as if my wife hadn’t died 3 years ago I wouldn’t be working so hard to fund my Audi obsession.

Seriously... I don’t get Electric apart from BIK benefits. If I had one car it would probably be an S rather than an RS. The S is an acceptable very competent daily driver but now having had 2 RS they are much more special. My lady friend has a Fiat 500X cross £20 a year RFL but whilst actually not a bad car it’s a way off being an Audi let alone an S or RS.

Reactions: Paul finch, NevMan, Jcbmally and 3 others
I run my S3 as a airport car (i.e. 99% of its use is to a long term airport car park and back), bought new whilst looking for reasonable value reasonably fast transport for <£30k.

Now 4.5yrs old and still worth £17-18k , done 32k miles and only annual servicing and used 2 sets of tyres, inside as new.
If you can afford it and intend keeping it a while (leaving ego/number plate age at the door) then buying outright can make sense. However got to be the right car at the right price, I hate losing money in any form but as a mainstream performanceish car goes it has done pretty well. Now at stage1 and is every bit as quick on real roads and fast real world driving as the current RS4/911 GT3 (P needs to be rev'd out to make its performance count) so for me no reason to change......regularly have a blat around rural France with a couple of mates ;) The S3 is inert but can be made to hustle.

300 to 350 or 350 to 400 on the road makes diddly difference compared to a decent driver and that newer versions of cars don't always make a step forward makes you question loads. Never forget the original Cossies 'only' came with 200-220bhp, never has 300bhp been so easy to use in any conditions..........saying that having recently lost quattro (haldex pump) I can assure you the S3 is a bit of a mess without it!

Sun pm post, sorry
The RS4 is 460/520 hp/torque from the factory, I'd be amazed if a stage 1 S3 could keep up.

TX.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and RGBARGEE

Very well said snake

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin

Jeez, that is low miles! My Q5 is on 8500 and only had since Mar 18, and my “commute” to work is only 4 miles each way.

The RS4 is 460/520 hp/torque from the factory, I'd be amazed if a stage 1 S3 could keep up.

TX.

But then again who cares barring the Mod guys who the vast majority don't tell their insurance company
But the RS4 LOOKS far far better than a old S3 and is on a different planet

Jeez, that is low miles! My Q5 is on 8500 and only had since Mar 18, and my “commute” to work is only 4 miles each way.

Keeping the miles low for you mate :)

Reactions: Jcbmally