Soo this happened yesterday...

Ricky Burrows

Reaction score
I was driving down a narrow lane a car was coming towards me i more or less slammed on my brakes she wasn't looking i don't actually know what she was doing but i seen her face looking everywhere bar the road, i more or less come to a stop beeped the horn and bang she hit me head on, in need of a little advice really as I've never been i an accident, obviously ill be going through my work tomorrow but until that time if anyone has any suggestions please comment, she's admitted it was her fault and believe it or not its actually my neighbour i said just sort your car yesterday and drop your details in tomorrow (so today now) do i have to inform my insurance? ect what details do i give her? like is it just my insurances name or policy number ect ect...

Heres the damage, car will defiantly be a right off unfortunately as it has damage to the inner support panels under the bonnet near the suspension struts so the labour alone will be immense let alone the cost of a new bonnet, wing, bumper, grille, headlight, fog light, fog surround, inner arch, blending to the door and N/S wing, radiator as it dumped all the collant out, possibly electrical as the battery is dead now whilst towing and i noticed some broken wires ect ect, not a good time at all its a real shame the amount of work i put into this little gem and it was almost done just needed a stage 2+ map :(

Accident 1

Accident 2

Accident 3

Accident 4

AHH man, that's sucks mate. You should contact your insurance company with her details
Don't be surprised if her insurance contacts you directly if they have your details though. It'll be cheaper for them to deal with you directly over paying your insurers handling fees.

Buy back might be an option and swap all your parts across as that was a nice A4.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

I hope you either have dashcam or photos as neighbour or not they could claim 50/50, regardless what they said to you.

Also should of got details then, their & even recorded them whilst you were conversing.

It's amazing in these situations how the morals can go right out the window when it affects there pockets.

Yeah it was a nice little car Jon13s shame really colours pretty rare as well which makes it even more of a kick in the nuts, i don't have a dash cam NHN I did take pictures though and it happened in front of someone's house and she admitted it in front of him as well and there's a camera on someone's house that should of picked it up either way I'm hoping its straight forward as she's a neighbour and I'm sure she don't want the whole street knowing the situation if she decides to F me over or at least try....

If you have dashcam footage, save it. Some people say one thing at the accident then try and lie about it afterwards.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
So sorry to see this bud. I hope you manage to find another to swap your nice bits over too... you’d put a lot of work into the old girl

Gutted for u mate.

I'd definitely involve my insure if only to keep me right and speed things up if needed. Presumably all mods declared etc.

Sad to see this happen 2nd one this month I think on this forum..

Wow what an absolute pi**3r! I know that feeling all too well just sitting there waiting for the bang thinking yep here we go you absolute plank nothing is registering in their eyes! Basically she should be done for driving without due care and attention :triumph:

Really so for you Ricky you have invested a lot of time into your car, as for it being a write off the only advise I can give is play hardball on what they offer you. I pushed them from rock botton to top book price on a dealrrs forecourt, also as already stated, buy it back and do a swap out and then sell whats left over....

Whatever happens I hope you get it sorted.

Appreciate the comments people :) id defiantly be buying the car back either way as it has a lot of mods thats not very old on there which have a decent value, luckily i have a few close friends that deal with insurance work and assessing ect so i should get the low down on everything daily and be able to see the car progress through out and put me in a nice courtesy car as well of course lol, doubt id buy another a4 tbh just don't think it will be worth it financially in the end as repairing this car will cost a lot of money, but ill see how it all pans out and try keeping an open mind, just kind of gutting seeing it in the state it is after all that work but what can you do, everything happens for a reason....apparently

It's a car at the end of the day. I'm sure you didn't think it'd be the last one you ever loved and sunk time, money and blood into :)

You're okay, that's the main thing. Hopefully you get an decent settlement, get some money back from the mods and can start another journey in another Audi :)

Awwww Ricky that really is the pits, after all the effort you've put in there.

You definitely need to contact your insurance company to let them know, and it's a shame you don't have a dash cam, they are invaluable these days.
My old company car was rolled into by a tail lift Luton van, I wasn't aware n the car. The other driver obviously admitted liability and gave me all his details. I contacted HIS insurance company with all the details, but didn't bother to notify mine, as the liability was admitted and they would settle the repairs.
His insurance company notified ours and said that I had driven into him. Luckily my dash cam showed the actual events. Insurance companies try any ruse to get out of paying.

Best of luck in getting it sorted, real shame if you can't get it back in the road.

It's a car at the end of the day. I'm sure you didn't think it'd be the last one you ever loved and sunk time, money and blood into :)

You're okay, that's the main thing. Hopefully you get an decent settlement, get some money back from the mods and can start another journey in another Audi :)
Yeah i hear what your saying when you sunk thousands into a car you don't always see the bigger picture I'm certainly not yet anyway but down the line when everything's said and done I'm sure ill be looking at it in a different/more positive way, maybe its even a blessing in disguise (of some kind) I have been slowly saving by for a 08-10 plate Kawasaki zx10r that I planned on getting ready for next summer so maybe ill just get one this year instead.

Awwww Ricky that really is the pits, after all the effort you've put in there.

You definitely need to contact your insurance company to let them know, and it's a shame you don't have a dash cam, they are invaluable these days.
My old company car was rolled into by a tail lift Luton van, I wasn't aware n the car. The other driver obviously admitted liability and gave me all his details. I contacted HIS insurance company with all the details, but didn't bother to notify mine, as the liability was admitted and they would settle the repairs.
His insurance company notified ours and said that I had driven into him. Luckily my dash cam showed the actual events. Insurance companies try any ruse to get out of paying.

Best of luck in getting it sorted, real shame if you can't get it back in the road.
Looks like I've joined the party of being hit and going through insurance then lol never expected it to be honest as I'm overly careful driving from experiences on the superbikes over the years but when your down a narrow lane and you have more or less stopped you cant exactly do anything about it so here i am I've joined the club just a shame its written off the car, ill defiantly buy it back then ill make a decision on what to do with it, ill keep everyone updated as i go anyway :)

Glad you're ok and no one was seriously hurt. It must be gutting to see your car written off by a distracted driver.
Neighbour or not, what exactly did they have to say for themselves about wtf they were doing?! How they managed to drive head on into an oncoming car in a narrow lane has huge red flags and alarm bells going off for me. Possibly drugs or drinking maybe.

Distracted driving / without due care and attention at a minimum. Lucky she didn't kill someone by running them over as she clearly wouldn't have seen a pedestrian if they didn't even notice a bright red car bibbing at them. What the actual F!

First mod for your new car is a dash cam!
Hope your insurance claim goes entirely in your favour.

Glad you're ok and no one was seriously hurt. It must be gutting to see your car written off by a distracted driver.
Neighbour or not, what exactly did they have to say for themselves about wtf they were doing?! How they managed to drive head on into an oncoming car in a narrow lane has huge red flags and alarm bells going off for me. Possibly drugs or drinking maybe.

Distracted driving / without due care and attention at a minimum. Lucky she didn't kill someone by running them over as she clearly wouldn't have seen a pedestrian if they didn't even notice a bright red car bibbing at them. What the actual F!

First mod for your new car is a dash cam!
Hope your insurance claim goes entirely in your favour.
She just kept apologising it was a fair distance in front for her to stop or at least slow down so initially i was shocked/surprised that it happened normally ive always avoided accidents over the years as im overly aware anyway and at one point i thought ok that could of been bad if we was going a bit faster then before i knew it she hit me so i was just shocked and like wtf are you doing then got out seen the car and i was pretty much devastated i only went out to clear my head as i been having a rough few days and thats how it ended lol i was kind of like *** i really cant be bothered with this today.

As for the dash cam ones definitely going in the mrs car now and mine if i get another car/mine back on the road.

*** mate, I really feel sorry for you Ricky, given the time, effort and all that money goes into it then some idiot destroys it all!
As some already pointed out here, people often lie even if it's your neighbour. Do you know if there is CCTV in that area or any witness?
All the very best pal, hope this goes smooth.

*** mate, I really feel sorry for you Ricky, given the time, effort and all that money goes into it then some idiot destroys it all!
As some already pointed out here, people often lie even if it's your neighbour. Do you know if there is CCTV in that area or any witness?
All the very best pal, hope this goes smooth.
Appreciate the comment and thoughts, yeah it is a shame and a waste i hardly drove it over the last few months as well as it was turning more into a weekend toy which is typical i get into an accident after its hardly on the road, as for the other party she seems to be handling it all the right way so far so I'm hoping it all stays that way and goes smoothly, my fingers are crossed.

Just saw this, sorry to hear about it and hope you are alright! My old Ibiza got written off a couple of years ago (hence the upgrade) and I thought about getting it back as the damage looked minor. When I got to the yard I saw it was worse and left it, if it was a nicer or special car I would have but not worth it for a 3k economy car.

Yours looks like it will buff out :yes:

Just saw this, sorry to hear about it and hope you are alright! My old Ibiza got written off a couple of years ago (hence the upgrade) and I thought about getting it back as the damage looked minor. When I got to the yard I saw it was worse and left it, if it was a nicer or special car I would have but not worth it for a 3k economy car.

Yours looks like it will buff out :yes:
Yeah im ok thanks bit of an ongoing headache and a bit sore in places but im good thanks :)

Financially it will work out to buy it back and repair it but realistically I'm not spending the majority of the remaining money after buying the car back to fix a car that was ok to begin with so i may well put the funds towards a bike and treat the Audi as a project so i don't miss the funds as much over time i might even be luckily enough to find some parts from work over the months to come, i don't really need a car at the minute which is a bonus but i do love that little red Audi so its worth holding onto and fixing up in good time, having it off the road may well give me the time to sort the remap out as well :)

Reactions: tr7
Dammmmm Ricky this is sade to see, one thing I will say is if you had it towed to a insurance approved lock up then watcht out mate they won't wast any time getting it moved to a scrap yard as
they don't like paying lock up fees. If thats a private plate then get that off ASAP if you don't you will loose it once the cars gone. When I had my accident the car was put in a lock up the same evening , (monday) next day I removed my plate and some over bits it had gone by Tuesday evening even though I said I wanted the opportunity to buy back , didn't even get chance to take anything off the car. Hope you get the result you want mate.

Last edited:
Dammmmm Ricky this is sade to see, one thing I will say is if you had it towed to a insurance approved lock up then watcht out mate they won't wast any time getting it moved to a scrap yard as
they don't like paying lock up fees. If thats a private plate then get that off ASAP if you don't you will loose it once the cars gone. When I had my accident the car was put in a lock up the same evening , (monday) next day I removed my plate and some over bits it had gone by Tuesday evening even though I said I wanted the opportunity to buy back , didn't even get chance to take anything off the car. Hope you get the result you want mate.
Thank you mate hopefully it all goes smoothly, yeah they can be ruthless in certain situations luckily my cars at my work so its not going anywhere unless i know about it I'm fortunate to be able to have updates from our bodyshop when they receive any emails so it's in good hands also one less thing to think about but yeah i have heard horror stories of people and customers seeing there vehicle on copart a day or so later with half the bits missing, they also use forklifts to move them about so we have had to repair some vehicles with sill damage ect.

Yeah im ok thanks bit of an ongoing headache and a bit sore in places but im good thanks :)

Financially it will work out to buy it back and repair it but realistically I'm not spending the majority of the remaining money after buying the car back to fix a car that was ok to begin with so i may well put the funds towards a bike and treat the Audi as a project so i don't miss the funds as much over time i might even be luckily enough to find some parts from work over the months to come, i don't really need a car at the minute which is a bonus but i do love that little red Audi so its worth holding onto and fixing up in good time, having it off the road may well give me the time to sort the remap out as well :)

At the end of the day it's resale or write off value becomes of lesser importance as the car has more personal value than monitory value, it's worth what it's worth to the individual irrespective of the damage, but the damage will become a factor if the cost of repairing
outweights even the most dedicated owner.

Absolutely gutting.

Hope you eventually put it back on the road. B8's aren't a patch on B7's imv

At the end of the day it's resale or write off value becomes of lesser importance as the car has more personal value than monitory value, it's worth what it's worth to the individual irrespective of the damage, but the damage will become a factor if the cost of repairing
outweights even the most dedicated owner.
I haven’t bothered to price it up yet Rob but doing the work myself and using 2nd hand panels i very much doubt id have much change from £1500 going through the bodyshop will easily be double that, so its still a lot of money and not something I'm currently in the mood to do so it will most likely be a buy back then future project as time goes as its to good of a car and decent spec to scrap, might make it a project with my little boy possibly? Options are there but its still early days in the insurance claim so see how that goes first.

No way so sorry to see this post! It does make you wonder what people do whilst driving?
I had same sort of thing happen to me years ago I was in traffic at a stand still and I could see a woman driving like we wasn’t stopped and she was looking down next thing bang!
I made her write a note on the spot saying it was her fault and sign it and went through her insurance, hope you can get this sorted mate car was looking sweet as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way so sorry to see this post! It does make you wonder what people do whilst driving?
I had same sort of thing happen to me years ago I was in traffic at a stand still and I could see a woman driving like we wasn’t stopped and she was looking down next thing bang!
I made her write a note on the spot saying it was her fault and sign it and went through her insurance, hope you can get this sorted mate car was looking sweet as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Stuart, yeah it does make you wonder how many things someone can be doing apart from actually concentrating on where your going.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Had the final valuation through and they valued it at £2700 retail with Glass's then deducted £200 for some unknown reason so there you go there valuation on a pristine special edition saloon is peanuts compared to what people seem to think they sell for, really ****** off as its a good £1000 under what i would of expected id of been happy at £3k tbh, moral of the story is its an old car and isn't worth what people think...according to Glass's anyway.

Reactions: Sidrick
Had the final valuation through and they valued it at £2700 retail with Glass's then deducted £200 for some unknown reason so there you go there valuation on a pristine special edition saloon is peanuts compared to what people seem to think they sell for, really ****** off as its a good £1000 under what i would of expected id of been happy at £3k tbh, moral of the story is its an old car and isn't worth what people think...according to Glass's anyway.

Sorry to hear this bud. I'd be gutted if something happened to mine like this. Becoming irreplaceable really to find another good one, at any price.

I'd suggest as I have elsewhere, find a friendly dealer if you know one and get them to 'list' a similar car on their website for good money, and send it to the insurers as justifications.

Never accept their first offer.

They make their money in two ways, the initial premium, and secondly getting people to accept below market values for their vehicles.

Best of luck

p.s. Glasses and CAP are usually ********. And have been of late. Regularly see cars making 115% of CAP Clean at auction. User the real advertised values as the cost to replace to show them.

Y
Sorry to hear this bud. I'd be gutted if something happened to mine like this. Becoming irreplaceable really to find another good one, at any price.

I'd suggest as I have elsewhere, find a friendly dealer if you know one and get them to 'list' a similar car on their website for good money, and send it to the insurers as justifications.

Never accept their first offer.

They make their money in two ways, the initial premium, and secondly getting people to accept below market values for their vehicles.

Best of luck

p.s. Glasses and CAP are usually ********. And have been of late. Regularly see cars making 115% of CAP Clean at auction. User the real advertised values as the cost to replace to show them.
Thank you mate, i did send them similar cars to mine between £3-4k mark but that hasn't seemed to change a thing, ive contacted a guy i know that works of commission for handling the job with this insurance company we have done a few bits with them over the years he said if im not happy with the valuation get hold of him and he will sort it out so he was messaged yesterday hopefully he can sort something out, failing that ill be ringing round some dealers i know seeing what they got last tome i rang a few nobody had one unfortunately.

Like I said before mate hold out for more, I pushed direct line from an intial offer of £1600 right up to top dealer book which was £2850 not bad for a '54 b6 quatty avant.

Like I said before mate hold out for more, I pushed direct line from an intial offer of £1600 right up to top dealer book which was £2850 not bad for a '54 b6 quatty avant.
Thats my point mate apparently top dealer book is £2700, defiantly holding out for me i just don't see it coming to much more tbh losing patience as well.

Have you got or can you get a hire car through insurance? If it's through theirs then you should. I found that sped things up when my Mustang was written off and they spent weeks low-balling me before I requested a hire car.

That said, you can't expect any more than top book price, that's one of the potential pitfalls of modifying an older car and not agreeing a value (unless you have, I've skim read, sorry!)

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Have you got or can you get a hire car through insurance? If it's through theirs then you should. I found that sped things up when my Mustang was written off and they spent weeks low-balling me before I requested a hire car.

That said, you can't expect any more than top book price, that's one of the potential pitfalls of modifying an older car and not agreeing a value (unless you have, I've skim read, sorry!)
Yeah i got a courtesy car and her insurance is paying for it, sometimes it speeds things up and other times it causes them to be really awkward and ask ridiculous questions and requests to justify me having one, just generally making a meal of it costing themselves more money down the line.

I never expected to get back what I've put into it by modifying ect just seen that similar cars seem to be up for sale between £3-4k, so seeing top book price is £2700 was a rather let down and makes all the ones for sale look well over priced and ultimately made me question if it was ever worth buying in the first place lol.