Facelift Something (or someone) has attacked my S3

AberDan

Reaction score
Okay, sorry, the title is a bit of an exaggeration.

I was cleaning my car this morning and noticed that some of the rubber seals around the sunroof have been damaged somehow (photos attached). The damage is at the front of the sunroof (on the glass which is attached to the car as opposed to the sliding panel itself, and at the seal which is on the rear of the sliding glass panel.

I only noticed the damage today but there is really no telling when it happened as I haven't driven since Wednesday. I didn't notice it then but I could have easily missed it.

I'm not ruling out vandalism; the car was parked roadside in town for 4 hours or so on Monday. The car usually stays in the garage at home but I have left it in the driveway all of this week. Does anyone have any idea as to what has happened here? There is absolutely no damage anywhere else on the car except from these rubber seals which is making me doubt that this was caused by a human...

Could a bird have been picking at it for a nest? It would be nice to know what caused it, but I am far more concerned about how much this could cost to get fixed. I know it is just a rubber seal but something tells me it could be quite a complicated repair. Anyone have any ideas? Thankfully the roof doesn't appear to be leaking which is good news. I will of course get in touch with the dealer on Monday, but it would be nice to have an expectation of how much this cost beforehand.
IMG 0042
IMG 0043

Looks like birds using it as a nest.
Why was it left open for 4 hours unattended, or are they exposed when closed?

Sorry - should have have clarified these seals are exposed when the roof is closed. Certainly not brave enough to leave the roof open around here with all the seagulls s***ing everywhere.

Look like a rodent has been at it! As for cost I'd expect Audi to say £80 for the rubber seal and about 6 hours for the job!!! Try an indy.

That probably just pushes on with a bit of glue in the rubber channel to hold it in place.

Reactions: pburv
Look like a rodent has been at it! As for cost I'd expect Audi to say £80 for the rubber seal and about 6 hours for the job!!! Try an indy.

That probably just pushes on with a bit of glue in the rubber channel to hold it in place.

I hope not! Haha. I couldn't get the 3rd photo uploaded as it's too large, but there is also damage at the front of the roof on the seal which is on the car and runs around the entire moving panel. I am worried that is where the cost will come from.

As @S32B says more likely rodent? Check your garage for signs of droppings seeing as your not sure when the damage was done.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Just thought...Long shot???? Is it possible someone has tried feeding a wire through to press the door lock button inside on the door card.
A horrible thought but you never know:shrug:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Given the heat we've had, the seals could have stuck after non use for a while & torn of when you opened the door, the seals do need a massage with some Audi lubricant tbh to maintain the softness, I doubt that's a bird.

I wonder, without checking etka myself, if the seals come with the glass.

Im going to say is the seal not meant to be black and the silver would be overspray from a botch repair job?

and now all thats happened is the paint flaking off the rubber seal

It's just the photo, it's not silver so to speak, they're more charcoal colour, it's not paint from that image anyway.

I damaged a rubber seal sinilarly once with getting too close with a pressure washer?

maybe?

Check the actual car part where the rubber seal touches it to see if there is any residue there. My bet is that it at some point has stuck to the bodywork or whatever it touches when in its closed position. Doubt a rodent or anything else would do that.

Thanks all!

I’ll have a look around for any suspect droppings. I haven’t spotted any rubber residue lying anywhere as of yet anyway.

I can rule out the pressure washer as this is the first wash in a while, I’m the only one who’s touched it and I’m pretty careful about that sort of thing. It hasn’t been particularly hot here but I suppose it got have result from the seal tearing as I’ve opened the roof.

I’ll post again once I get an idea of prices.

I’ll post again once I get an idea of prices.
Take the smelling salts with you if you visit the main dealership...I'd say £500 or more!!! They charge around £100 just to service it! :blink:

Reactions: pburv
I’m more inclined to say this is seagull damage. Many a time in Aberdeen I’ve seen them pecking and pulling at car roofs, wipers etc. Nasty! They often attack their own reflection!

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Well I finally got a quote from Audi - £180 for the seal attached to the glass piece, and for the main seal attached to the body?

£1200. Yes, that’s two zeros on the end. Ouch.

I had same problem two years ago got replacement from Tps cost £99 took 10 minutes to swap over
TPS don’t sell to the public anymore unfortunately so you’d have to get a garage or friend in the trade to purchase, I tried to check the price of a part and they wouldn’t even tell me that!

TPS don’t sell to the public anymore unfortunately so you’d have to get a garage or friend in the trade to purchase, I tried to check the price of a part and they wouldn’t even tell me that!
They do near Newcastle if the op is close enough