Something nasty growing on my pollen filter!

prt57

Reaction score
In the early days my S3 did have a full service every couple of years and so I probably expected my pollen filer to be changed. In later years as I did more maintenance, the Audi service changed to just an oil service every year and brake fluid every 2 years.
As we all keen to do bits to our cars, I decided to change the pollen filter today.
The photos below show the clean side of the filter with like a yellow/orange fungus growing. So I’ve been breathing in the spores, not good!
Disappointingly, the date of manufacture on the side of the filter was 2006 and my car is a 2007 so I think it has never been changed in spite of having those early full services.
Not to be outdone, I bought a replacement Mann filter called a Frecious Plus from ECP. This has an extra filter layer compared to just having the activated charcoal layer, designed to prevent bacteria and fungal spores spreading.
Quite tricky to replace as you have to be a bit of a contortionist to see what you are doing down behind the glove box. Not too bad when you get your head in there!
88B4D18A F45C 4AD7 8D95 24114EF0C137

0DA32289 2C7B 4242 B487 092579E97E81

0C85BA10 5CA3 4A23 87EE 2338B12D1DB3

Could you be growing something very nasty on yours?!?!

Reactions: e9_mustii and millsy4002
Not sure what Audi you had your car serviced because ours had the pollen filter changed every time Audi did a major service.

It’s so easy to change that I do it myself (and using Frecious Plus) every 6 months. Since I’m in London it’s important to regularly change the pollen filter.

Not sure what Audi you had your car serviced because ours had the pollen filter changed every time Audi did a major service.

It’s so easy to change that I do it myself (and using Frecious Plus) every 6 months. Since I’m in London it’s important to regularly change the pollen filter.

It had a major service at 2 different Audi garages.

Exact reason I do services myself, dealer services are the worst of all. Don’t know why anyone thinks main dealer history is so good. I was once by Audi my xenon headlight washers were not working on their inspection, the fault was the Audi technician didn’t turn on the headlight switch when doing the test.

I imagine you are breathing more easily now. That filter is shocking.

Hope you used a typical ECP code! :tongueout:

Dealership service regimes are supposed to change them every two years although some people say (including some manufacturers like Purflux) that annual is best - particularly for urban driving - as a restricted filter can put pressure on the air con system. Personally, I change mine every 2-years and they look "well used" after that length of time.