Something leaking?

Evolution_Roy

Reaction score
I noticed a couple of times that after I drive hard, there is some splatter on the front doors that look a little odd. Happened again today, dry conditions. Can this be something leaking from somewhere? I can not tell if it is oil or not. Oil level seems to be fine. And I could not detect any drops under where the car is standing....confused???
Door spray

Could it be splashes from the wipers and the liquid dripping off the side of the windscreen when you use the washers?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Could it be splashes from the wipers and the liquid dripping off the side of the windscreen when you use the washers?

I don't think so as the car was clean when I started driving and I did not use the wipers.... strange thing is that the pattern is vertical lines..... I would expect it to be horizontal if from external source

I noticed a couple of times that after I drive hard, there is some splatter on the front doors that look a little odd. Happened again today, dry conditions. Can this be something leaking from somewhere? I can not tell if it is oil or not. Oil level seems to be fine. And I could not detect any drops under where the car is standing....confused???
View attachment 212482
Check inner wheel barrel for grease marks and inner plastic wheel guard. Could be grease fired out by small year on outer CV joint gaiter.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Check inner wheel barrel for grease marks and inner plastic wheel guard. Could be grease fired out by small year on outer CV joint gaiter.

OK, thanks, will check that.... strange thing is it on both sides on the car, but more on the left side.... Can it be something related to engine? I was thinking maybe due to the kick-down antilag that is coming in more often when I drive hard? i.e. turbo spitting out oil although I would expect it to go into the exhaust and not o the doors.

OK, thanks, will check that.... strange thing is it on both sides on the car, but more on the left side.... Can it be something related to engine? I was thinking maybe due to the kick-down antilag that is coming in more often when I drive hard? i.e. turbo spitting out oil although I would expect it to go into the exhaust and not o the doors.
It does look like throws of grease rather than oil. I'm thrown tho that it affects both sides. If it's from gaiters on either sides there will be more evidence like marks on wheel barrels or inner wing guards.
Could it be a spillage on road that you are driving over?
If you launch it could be gearbox oil coming from the small breather clipped on to the airbox.... Let us know how you go.

Reactions: Evolution_Roy

How would oil make its way out of the engine bay and up onto both doors ?

You need to get under / in the engine bay / around the front drivetrain areas to check and see if anything’s amiss first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Evolution_Roy and seventeenapg
Might sound daft but do you use tyre gel/dressing? Too much causes similar splashes down the side of the car just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: seventeenapg
Have you applied anything to the wing mirrors? I can think of fluid that would be in there ordinarily, but perhaps it's dripped down from the housing after a wash or driving through rain/dirty water?

Perhaps something external while the car was stopped (i.e. at a light, under a bridge, etc.). What does it smell like?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Perhaps something external while the car was stopped (i.e. at a light, under a bridge, etc.). What does it smell like?

Could not really detect a smell.... felt a little oily between the fingers. Its the second time the exact thing happens a week apart, so I can not think it it external. I will take the car to the garage next week to see if anything is visible under the car. There are no signs of leakage on the floor where the car is parked....

Could not really detect a smell.... felt a little oily between the fingers. Its the second time the exact thing happens a week apart, so I can not think it it external. I will take the car to the garage next week to see if anything is visible under the car. There are no signs of leakage on the floor where the car is parked....
Gotcha, a mystery indeed. Keep us posted!

Could it be you drove through a puddle or poor rode surface that has potholes filled with water, oil, etc. Looks like something splashed from the ground.

Wonder if its someone with a toy gun that fires liquid at passing cars.

Apparently the mechanic thinks its brake pad dust, due to a problem with the pads. We are going to take the calipers off to inspect the pads. To be continued.....

passenger holds his greasy sausage roll at open window while eating, clue is pastry crumbs over seat and door card

Just glanced over this thread. If you have tyre shine on the tyres it can cause the splash effect your witnessing and the brake dust adheres to it as well.

Reactions: seventeenapg