Someone help! Strange marks all over wheels on my a3

a3_Ollie

Reaction score
Have no idea what they are, there was only a few originally which I wasn't worried about however now there are loads of white marks all over them. They are Rotiform INDs with a polished finish I believe? They are not raised and are completely smooth. Someone please help as starting to get worried now, Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 4,744
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 3,410
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 3,192
Could be corrosion? Or salt marks from the grit that's been laid on the roads?

No idea mate, want to know whether I'll need them refurbing or I can get rid of them with something?

White worm, salt has got behind the clear coat and its starting to corrode, it wont get better and will need to be re done

Reactions: RS3dan and grchmason
It's water/salt ingress, happens to the polished lips on BBS's especially the reps when water gets under the lacquer. You might be able to polish it out on some if your lucky. It's the main reason people don't usually use those wheels in winter months.

Google " white worm alloys"

It is corrosion / moisture / elements attacking the alloy under the lacquer.

You won't stop it short of a refurb.

Hope this helps.

So to cut it short guys, i'm going to need to refurb them to get them back to prime?

And thanks for all the help lads, would refurbing them an actual colour like anthracite or somehitng stop this from happening again? as I presume its because of the polished finish? Just dont fancy getting them refurbed and then happening again. Cheers

indeed, anyone know if I refurb these in an anthracite/grey colour to get rid of the polished finish, will that prevent this from happening again in the future? please somone!

And thanks for all the help lads, would refurbing them an actual colour like anthracite or somehitng stop this from happening again? as I presume its because of the polished finish? Just dont fancy getting them refurbed and then happening again. Cheers

It will but you'll have to make a bit of a mess of the polished face to make any paint stick to the surface properly and prevent it flaking off in future.

I'd personally use them as show wheels cus polished wheels are too much hassle for every day use.

indeed, anyone know if I refurb these in an anthracite/grey colour to get rid of the polished finish, will that prevent this from happening again in the future? please somone!

Best thing you can do.

Diamond cut finish is rubbish , looks great for 5 minutes , then....

Got this kind of finish on a set of wheels too , they had alloy worm when I got them , corrosion under the laquer ,
I used paint stripper to remove the clear coat then carefully polished the damaged alloy back to its former glory .
I used wet and dry , various grades , and Solvol Autosol .
Having said that the wheels are on a trike which I don't take out over winter .

Reactions: RS3dan