Some S4 questions

aprilia dude

Reaction score
1/anyone know why the transmission is now a torque converter and not s tronic,
2/ is the engine twin or single turbo
3/ what's the ins and outs of Audi connect ie in terms of billing and data usage etc and how does it work

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
1/anyone know why the transmission is now a torque converter and not s tronic,
2/ is the engine twin or single turbo
3/ what's the ins and outs of Audi connect ie in terms of billing and data usage etc and how does it work

1- Pretty sure this was off the back of lots of warranty claims from the B8.5 s-tronic gearbox as it wasn't as strong as it should've been for the torque the car was putting out. As there's now more torque they seem to have just stuck in a transmission that they know is robust.

2- Single turbo. Twin scroll.

3- Quite sure it's now 36 months included with the current package, not sure what it is after that runs out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
So Audi connect is data received to the car .. does the sat nav need that to work .. and I'm assuming that after 36 months you pay monthly for data used ?

As far as I'm aware the Audi connect is only really for running the google earth, traffic, petrol prices, etc. The sat nav continues to work regardless of having the data connection though.

After the 36 months I imagine you'll be able to buy an extension or you can purchase another SIM from a normal data carrier like O2 or EE and just use that like you would the data on your phone. I think.

1- Pretty sure this was off the back of lots of warranty claims from the B8.5 s-tronic gearbox as it wasn't as strong as it should've been for the torque the car was putting out. As there's now more torque they seem to have just stuck in a transmission that they know is robust.

2- Single turbo. Twin scroll.

3- Quite sure it's now 36 months included with the current package, not sure what it is after that runs out though.

I think price had a lot to do with it too. The graziano DCT is a lot more to buy in than the ZF.

It was the pre-facelift s stronuc box that had issues so that was not a problem for them going forward from yhe b8.5 to b9

On torque you think the RS4 B8 makes only 50lb less peak torque low down compared to the S4 but make makes the same or more from 4-9k (s4 runs out of puff at 6.5k which is another reason you wouldn't spend the extra on a DCT that is excellent and dealing with high rev applications when you don't have a high revving engine)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daggerit
There was some reliability issues with the S-Tronic box / boxes for sure. Its probably too early to say whether they were fully addressed with the last generation boxes on the b8.5, but ever since the first VAG DSG boxes were deployed there has been issues and the design was continuing to evolve.

I guess if someone else was offering a box with 95% of the 'performance' with a better reliability record and lower cost it was a no brainer for Audi which one to choose. It feels a bit like a concord moment for me though.

I had a very late release S4 and one thing I did notice that after some spirited driving, or a lot of slow 'creeping' there was a strong acrid smell from the car a bit like burnt clutch. I put a lot of this down to 'newness' but in hindsight I wonder if I've parted with a timebomb and the next owner has some expensive bills in front of them.

The S tronic was, for me, hands down the better technology for driving though. That supercharged engine coupled with the S Tronic box delivered an experience that was more than the sum of its parts.

Reactions: Keef, DeanoC and Daggerit