Some more work carried out today *Roof Rails now done*

dpbayly

Reaction score
Well Im booked in for my window tints on wednesday and in prep i wanted to de chrome the window surrounds I've already de chromed the front grill, badge and rear bumper strip (carbon vinyl) and rear badges (satin black) and now today I've done the window surrounds to match (carbon Vinyl) I've also carbon vinyled the S4 door blades

Before:

20130216_154958_zpsd09afbd2.jpg

20130302_155233_zps92047460.jpg

20130302_155224_zps6abeb57f.jpg

Carbon vinyled:

20130302_170629_zpsab3e2ae9.jpg

20130302_170622_zps53bb0049.jpg

20130302_170647_zpsea38b37f.jpg

20130302_170634_zpsec246e47.jpg

20130302_170653_zps0cb3a1e6.jpg

20130302_172252_zpsc200a71a.jpg

Im thinking i will do the roof rails too but will need to remove them to do this.

Last edited:
looks nice mate,im not a fan of the chrome and ive just got my window surrounds to do too!
how hard was it and how did you do it?

I want to de-chrome mine, but not so keen on the carbon so I'll probably use plastidip if I do it. Or just plain black vinyl.

Still loving the car! Looks a beast.

looks nice mate,im not a fan of the chrome and ive just got my window surrounds to do too!
how hard was it and how did you do it?

Thanks,

Not hard at all I cut the Carbon vinyl into thin strips about 20mm wide I did this because it makes it easy to apply heat too and make it curve around the bends without rippling/scrunching up

I want to de-chrome mine, but not so keen on the carbon so I'll probably use plastidip if I do it. Or just plain black vinyl.

Still loving the car! Looks a beast.

Thanks,

I went with the carbon vinyl to carry on the theme I've started and I like the textured look.

I've used this stuff in the past to de chrome it's black insulation tape 30mm wide it dose the job really well and doesn't start peeling off, lasts really well had it on my E39 for 6 months before selling it and never had any issues with it coming off and it takes 30mins to do both sides... so easy great way to de chrome.

electrical tape. wide black pvc insulation 4 x rolls 30mm X 30m size extra wide | eBay

hmm better than chrome but not keen on the carbon look on the surrounds
matt or satin black for me
and i would have put it on the same way
but looks better

Thanks,

I went with the carbon vinyl to carry on the theme I've started and I like the textured look.

I've used this stuff in the past to de chrome it's black insulation tape 30mm wide it dose the job really well and doesn't start peeling off, lasts really well had it on my E39 for 6 months before selling it and never had any issues with it coming off and it takes 30mins to do both sides... so easy great way to de chrome.

electrical tape. wide black pvc insulation 4 x rolls 30mm X 30m size extra wide | eBay

Cheers for that! Is it easy enough to work around the corners? For a fiver it's worth a try.

Thanks

Take it off and paint it, Get yourself some red scotch, a can of spray etch primer and a can of satin black.

Cheers for that! Is it easy enough to work around the corners? For a fiver it's worth a try.

Thanks

Really easy far more workable than vinyl as insulation tape is really flexible and doesn't need heat to flex and stretch it.

Cant remember what forum a few years back someone used the stuff and it went down a storm next thing everyone was using it.

Take it off and paint it, Get yourself some red scotch, a can of spray etch primer and a can of satin black.

Im sure I read somewhere the rear trim cant be removed without taking the glass out so you wont be removing it also good thing about vinyl is not only is it quicker to do its less hassle and its easily reversible.

Looks good mate but agree with bez, it'd bug me that the pattern is not all the same direction..

Yeah, the window chrome trim is just not a removable part. It's far too much hassle. That's why both plastidip and vinyl appeal so much.

Cheers dude, im gonna order some tonight. It'll be nice to give it all a de-chrome to see what I think if nothing else.

Looks good mate but agree with bez, it'd bug me that the pattern is not all the same direction..

I knew people would notice that, its only like that because it was the last little bit of vinyl I had and unfortunately it went the wrong way but I wanted to get it on anyway, I have another whole roll at work so don't worry I will be re-doing it so fear not it will all go the same way.

I like it when you do stuff to your car, as it gives me a clue what looks good or not for mine :thumbsup:

I'm going to do my chrome trim this summer too, just black though, not carbon. I'll be interested to hear what you decide for the roof bars. I have a pic of a dolphin grey RS6 with black roof bars if you want to see it?

I didnt like to sound negative in my post. Having done a lot of vinyl wrapping myself this week, I know what it feels like to have to redo it again just to get the pattern right!

I didnt like to sound negative in my post. Having done a lot of vinyl wrapping myself this week, I know what it feels like to have to redo it again just to get the pattern right!

Don't worry, it was bugging me anyway and I had already decided I would redo it but Im doing the roof rails first.

Hopefully I have enough left over.....

I like it when you do stuff to your car, as it gives me a clue what looks good or not for mine :thumbsup:

I'm going to do my chrome trim this summer too, just black though, not carbon. I'll be interested to hear what you decide for the roof bars. I have a pic of a dolphin grey RS6 with black roof bars if you want to see it?

Im off to do my rails now, the only issue im going to have is the vinyl roll is not long enough to do them in one piece so there will be a join so watch this space..... I''ll post pics once done

Looks good to me..I've got chrome window surrounds but the roof rails are matt black! it's always bugged me so doing the chrome was on this list for me also. Just how easy is it to tuck around the trim or have you cut it flush to the rubber?

Looks good to me..I've got chrome window surrounds but the roof rails are matt black! it's always bugged me so doing the chrome was on this list for me also. Just how easy is it to tuck around the trim or have you cut it flush to the rubber?

It was easier than I expected and I only thought it would be difficult as I wanted to use the carbon vinyl if using the insulation tape method its sooooo easy just clean the trim really well before hand and use a sharp edge of a credit card to ensure you push the tape right into the edges of the chrome trim before trimming the excess with a sharp blade I use a surgeons scalpel it really is that simple. doing it the carbon vinyl way is a little more tricky only because its not as pliable as the insulation tape without using heat and I cut the carbon vinyl into 20mm wide strips before applying.

Roof rails all done, they were a pig but got there in the end:

20130303_122546_zps6bfd5ded.jpg

20130303_104441_zps950d3a10.jpg

20130303_104451_zps68dd90b3.jpg

20130303_102722_zpsa244f471.jpg

Unfortunately due to making a few mistakes on the rails I now don't have enough to redo my B post panels so now got to order another roll of the stuff.....

wow you dont mess around do u!
actually looks better than i thought with the roof rails done and got me thinking now as mine are shiny ones and was gonna leave them!
car just looks badass mean pal with them monster brakes on the front too, one question though are you thinking about joey'ing headlights as it looks as though your going for a dark theme or do you think they would be too much?

wow you dont mess around do u!
actually looks better than i thought with the roof rails done and got me thinking now as mine are shiny ones and was gonna leave them!
car just looks badass mean pal with them monster brakes on the front too, one question though are you thinking about joey'ing headlights as it looks as though your going for a dark theme or do you think they would be too much?

Thanks,

I am yes but i want a spare set of OEM Xenon lights to carry out the mod too, so im hunting ebay at the min.

If any one has a set of Joey'ed or stock Xenon headlights let me know and I'll take them off your hands.

Roof rails all done, they were a pig but got there in the end:

20130303_122546_zps6bfd5ded.jpg

20130303_104451_zps68dd90b3.jpg

Unfortunately due to making a few mistakes on the rails I now don't have enough to redo my B post panels so now got to order another roll of the stuff.....

Beautiful!

Be so cool if you could clear coat over everything, it would look proper and be water resistant too...

How much of a PITA is removing the rails? Have to get involved in the curtain airbags or not?

Thinking of going mental with some plasti dip!