some life left in the old girl yet

twostrokepower

Reaction score
hi guys

just thought id share this one with you lot ....i was on my way home from work last night about 7pm on the A39 near bude cornwall was crusing along at 50 -60 and came across some slow moving traffic one was a old rover and the other was a 09 black ford focus st ... so i over took the rover and as soon as i pulled in behind the st he accelerated hard ,So i did the same through the gears to about 110 mph the focus did pull away a bit but was very slightly about walking pace, But the A39 is one twisty road and i found i could corner a lot faster than the st thanks to the QUATTRO drive train this went on for 8 miles or so and i have to say my 2.8 quat had the edge if we had been on a track i would have stuck it up the inside on him on a bend ....i was shocked as thought this car would have just blown me away ,when my link road came up i flashed the driver to say thanks for the fun and he replied with a thumbs up

so theres life left in the old girl yet

yer but it is a 250 cr lol

Ha ha! My Dad used to have an old Yamaha YDS7 250, before the RDs and the Powervalves were out, and it was mental. Two-stroke power indeed!

Back to point, good to see a 2.8 being given proper exercise. Nice work chap.

I do love my Audi 2.8 v6, even though its only 7 seconds flat 0-60mph, handling is also very nice. I think the focus 0-60mph is only 0.5 seconds quicker than the audi?

Anyway good race, nice to see the v6 still has power!

yes i was very pleased with what happend had a big grin on my face when i got home ,ive not long had sports cats fitted and had her chipped which made a good difrance on the car well worth having done

Just wondering mate as mines coming off road for some treats, what can be done to the MAF also which chip have you had fitted as very interested mines a 2.8 v6 avant!

dan

Thought you were talking about my missus with that thread title!!!! Ahh...thankya...thankya... please try the veal!......

But seriously! Even with stinkies ole 1.9tdi engine, (just turned 243k folks!) I can hold my own on the twisties, nice enough torque in 3rd to keep them worried.. sure they leg it on the straight bits but is that what everyone does who can't drive round a bend.... I've had the same grin many times twostroke!

I would like some more power though....

i used to work at a motorbike garage and did a lot of porting and gas flowing years ago so i look for any obstructions ...i noticed the wire mesh on the front maf and the resin used to bond it ..so i removed it and any of the resin this makes the front opening of the maf a lot bigger and then rounded all the sharp plastic corners off inside ,,just basic stuff ..next on my list is to look at the throttle body iam sure i can make a this flow a little better

if its a 30v it makes 196hp as standard, and i presume somewhere around 1400-1450kgs (an S4 is 1515kgs)

if we say 1450kgs and 200hp you've got 140bhp/ton and letstorquebhp recons a 0-60 of 7 flat, 15.3sec 1/4 and 89mph terminal.

A new Focus ST makes 222hp and weighs 1392kgs which is 162bhp/ton. Again from letstorquebhp we get 6.68secs to 60, 14.8s 1/4 and 96mph terminal.

So as you've shown, theres not THAT much in it.

According to parkers its 7.1s 0-60 for a standard 2.8q. not sure how accurate that is, never bothered timing mine. I did have a similar thing the other night although I am not sure what focus it was looked like an older st170 or what ever they are but it was chaved up and giving it the big potatoes, so I thought i'd show him up and we both went for it off this roundabout with me behind him and I went pretty much straight passed him. he then tried to take me on the next roundabout but I just pulled away from him. this was all on dual carridgeway btw and on my private test track!

Not that I condone racing but...

I can't help but destroy more expensive cars which are supposed to be quicker. Worth it just to see the driver's confused face lol :ninja:

..private race track obviously!

just spent 12 hours on the M1 (well more like 8) going down to London and back.
it amuses me when you start overtaking a car and your in the fast lane and some chav comes up your bumper like he is about to burst into flames.

even (mostly) stock I surprised a few significantly "quicker" cars.
5 speed box, 180bhp, can be go from 80-110 in 4th before you know it. (on that private track that runs alongside the M1 you understand).
If you catch people off guard, in the wrong gear, they can easily think you are driving something much quicker.
a very worried Mercedes CLK owner outside Nottingham and a young lad in a subaru impreza near Sheffield who will probably be taking back to the garage now ........

my dream car (993 turbo) was having none of it though. still, I will accept defeat to that car any day

I find it most satisfying when it's a young bloke out in his Dads £££££s worth of BMW or Merc with his friends acting the big'en.

Let him catch up and then drop him again just to rub it in in front of his friends! lol

quote jcb (even (mostly) stock I surprised a few significantly "quicker" cars.
5 speed box, 180bhp, can be go from 80-110 in 4th before you know it.)

i no what you mean as i feel my car is ok when its going 3rd and 4th gear (had a porsche boxster worried when i first picked the car up from audi was on my way home in 2000 on the m1i thought to my self this car is fast ) but i had a 18 yr old in a renault clio blast past me from 0-100 only the other day it did look standard ,thats why i was so surprised and grinning when i could keep up with and even maybe overtake the st ,the clio was a LOT quicker than the st ,
the clio made me want to get rid of the 2.8 q or make it faster ! hence the chip and cats

dont know what to do next to give me some more power to see off these young lads in the new hatchbacks any advise welcome shes chipped ,sports cats and exhaust but i want more

if you want more then you really need to change the engine.

I'd look at either something with a turbo (1.8T or S4 lump) or more cubes (V8)

Otherwise you'll just throw a shed load at it, and not get much return power wise.

I had my BMW 328i and I had her running at 238 BHP and it was doing 0-60 around 6.1 sec and 1/4 14.8 Sec which was very fast for BMW 328i :) and I used to play around with alot of cars even once with a MR2 Turbo :)

oh that is easy, I smoked an MR2 turbo on a stretch of road with a couple of roundabouts..he was so afronted by the whole event that he pulled up alongside me and offered me a drag race.

he was 12 though

I had my BMW 328i and I had her running at 238 BHP and it was doing 0-60 around 6.1 sec and 1/4 14.8 Sec which was very fast for BMW 328i :) and I used to play around with alot of cars even once with a MR2 Turbo :)

What the chuff did you do to the engine to get 238bhp??

its nice to see that even old audis still have the wow factor.

i remember a guy in a 20tdi in donny wanted to give us ago. but after he got the start on me mine just seamed to want to run an run an left him crying behind lol