Facelift Some doubts before ordering the car

Robopilingui

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading you for some time (what a great forum!), but now it is my time to start a threat trying to resolve some of my doubts.

I currently own a BMW M135i and I was thinking on upgrading it to an M2 which, for sure, is a great car. The thing is that I think I want to "waste" my money on something different. That brought me to the RS3. I am almost comfortable on the configuration I made, basically, Catalunya Red with black optics, "blade" wheels, the supersport seats and the sport exhaust (among other interior options). But there are a some options I am not sure about:

- Sedan vs Sportback: without seeing them in the flesh, I like the Sedan more but maybe, for a 29 years old guy, the sportback would be a better choice.
- Tire sizes: let's say I will use the car daily. 70% of the time as a cruiser, 25-30% of the time quickly and, maybe, 5% on track. Should I tick the option to get the wider front tires?
- Interior trim: being a red car, I would like to get the red stitching seats. Said that, I would also want to have the extended leather package which is only available for the grey stitching interior (why Audi?). The red package interior (I don't know how it is called outside Spain) would be a nice choice too, but the red vents make me doubt. Would it be an easy/cheap fix to change them to black if I don't like them?

Thank you guys!

Catalunya Red with black optics, "blade" wheels, the supersport seats and the sport exhaust
QUOTE]

That is the Holy Grail.. perfect.
For resale value you might want to look at the upgraded stereo, pan roof and tech/comfort pack but only if you really will use these.

Style - You have to go with your heart. Hatchback for practicality but you know what, if I was to get a new one I would get the Sedan as they are FAR rarer on our roads so the car should stand out more. It will look Epic with your colour, black pack and wheel choice.

Front tyres - I have these. No idea if they help or not but Audi Sport are VERY clever and if they added this then I will safely assume that it is needed but you do need to make sure that they have not addressed the issue in the FL already rendering them a tad redundant.

Trim - umm.. Not a fan of contrast vents. Contrast stitching I like but only really on Ferraris and Lambos. Ha. I went with the Lunar Silver leather as it looks classy and lightens the car up. I did not want the car looking like the inside of an A45 which is hideous IMHO.

The real problem here is the car itself...

I have driven the M2 twice now. Love it. Stick a sports exhaust on it and it is more fun than the Audi. I also think it looks cooler but I love wide arches. I also drove the M4 and M3 and the M2 is much better IMHO and a lot cheaper!

The Audi beats it, well, slaughters the M2 on engine noise, interior look n feel and practicality. Also, with the switch of a button I can put my Nan in the RS3 and she would never know it was a sports car. That in itself is world class.

The M2 beats the RS3 in all other ways, especially dynamically.

I would 100% get the M2 IF I was single or didn't have my 3 kids (getting in the back of an M2 requires a mifget ballerina body).
If you want to track the car then I would get the M2 as tracking the RS3 will require modification money TBH.

At the end of the day, it comes down to something nobody can advise you on which is FEEL.
Which car makes you get that fuzzy feeling? Which car, if you were sitting in the other, would you most regret having not bought when you see it?

Basically, f**k the head, go with your heart. I have to go with my head as I am older, have 3 kids and other responsibilities.

Good luck!

Wider tyres kill off the understeer imho so well worth it. Perhaps not an issue so much for the FL though given the mighty 25kg weight saving ;)

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and jimojameso
Wider tyres kill off the understeer imho so well worth it. Perhaps not an issue so much for the FL though given the mighty 25kg weight saving ;)

TX.

Trying not to think of this haha, my payments are high enough as it is without adding another £1100.

Definitely get the wider fonts. Makes a difference. Especially coming from a BMW with plenty of front end! :)

Definitely get the wider fonts. Makes a difference. Especially coming from a BMW with plenty of front end! :)

I've come from an S3 with the same size tyres, so I won't miss it because I haven't had it to miss.

Reactions: neg
I don't have extended leather, not available in Canada. I would choose red stitching over extended leather, the interior is already very nice with the mix of leather and Alcantara.

I would personally stay far away from the red vent trim. It looks tacky like something you would find on a cheap and cheerful Kia.

I don't have extended leather, not available in Canada. I would choose red stitching over extended leather, the interior is already very nice with the mix of leather and Alcantara.

I would personally stay far away from the red vent trim. It looks tacky like something you would find on a cheap and cheerful Kia.
That and the red seatbelts, on top of red stitching everywhere is the main thing that turned me off the A45 AMG as it happens. I did see a couple of plain ones but not in my spec.
I LOVE how the Audi is understated and super svelte in the cabin. Much nicer than BMW.
I've never had an Audi before so I think the interior is ****** amazing.

That and the red seatbelts, on top of red stitching everywhere is the main thing that turned me off the A45 AMG as it happens. I did see a couple of plain ones but not in my spec.
I LOVE how the Audi is understated and super svelte in the cabin. Much nicer than BMW.
I've never had an Audi before so I think the interior is ****** amazing.

Disagree, without the interior RS package and red accents it’s soooo grey in there. A number of pretty subtle red accents give it a nice lift. All depends if you like colour or not though. ;)

Disagree, without the interior RS package and red accents it’s soooo grey in there. A number of pretty subtle red accents give it a nice lift. All depends if you like colour or not though. ;)
Ah, that's why I only looked at RS3s with theLunar Silver supersports seats. Lightens up the interior perfectly.
Made it much harder to find a car in my spec though as the VAST majority just have black interiors, some helped by a pan roof.

Thank you all for the replies. Yesterday I had the chance to see and sit on two RS3s (both Sportbacks), one Ara Blue and the other Daytona Grey and man, what a car. Interior is impressive with the supersport seats and the virtual cockpit. One had the red stitching with the red RS package and the other had the grey stitching. Both great interiors. Start-up sound is impressive. I could feel that, at least at start-up, engine is not as smooth as the BMW's straight 6, but it was louder and maybe sportier too. Wait will be a pain!

Thank you all for the replies. Yesterday I had the chance to see and sit on two RS3s (both Sportbacks), one Ara Blue and the other Daytona Grey and man, what a car. Interior is impressive with the supersport seats and the virtual cockpit. One had the red stitching with the red RS package and the other had the grey stitching. Both great interiors. Start-up sound is impressive. I could feel that, at least at start-up, engine is not as smooth as the BMW's straight 6, but it was louder and maybe sportier too. Wait will be a pain!
Fear not, the 5cyl engine is silky smooth. It just sounds very gruff and aggressive when idling.

Fear not, the 5cyl engine is silky smooth. It just sounds very gruff and aggressive when idling.
The sound under the bonnet is awful - very rattly like a bag of spanners. I'm surprised there's no sound dampening on the bonnet.

The sound under the bonnet is awful - very rattly like a bag of spanners. I'm surprised there's no sound dampening on the bonnet.
I didn't open the bonnet but I think this "awful" sound is something all direct injection engines have nowadays.

Can you post photos?
I'm deciding to get the sportback in ara blue or daytona grey.

Right now I think I will pick daytona....