Some considerations 11.000 km after

danilotto

Reaction score
A big, ugly and polluted south-Europe city
Hi All,

My S3 8V has 11.000 km today, after some nice days spent in Cannes (+17°C today at noon) and then back home.

Here are some considerations:

Good:

- the exhaust note is still improving. I noted the "best sounding 4 pot engine" sound in the last 1000 km. Now there is a difference between the dynamic and comfort engine sound setting. I did not notice any difference before. Hard to believe maybe, but this is my experience.

- I am very pleased by fuel economy. 400 km of highway quite relaxed drive at 130-140 kmh with some 160kmh peaks. The "1" counter (the one that resets every time) tell me 12 km/lt. Very interesting for a 300 hp car. The car run on V-Power from day 0 but for this trip I used Tamoil WR100. I read great things about this fuel (this is not a fuel thread btw lol)

- What to say: I love the car every time I ride on, as it was the delivery day. All inside gives a feeling of perfect robustness and the car is very comfortable also for my weak back. I can ride 400km without stopping and I get out fresh and relaxed.

- Love the handling and the brakes. On highway I always keep the steering on dynamic setting if there are turns, otherwise the steering is too light for my taste. Also suspensions are firm but not harsh. (I am not a pilot or professional driver). I feel the car always perfectly in my hands. Never had this feeling with all my previous cars.

- Love the B&O. Also driving on bad tarmac with the noisy Contis at high speed I get a good listening.

Bad:

- I have a quite loud whine between 120 and 140 km/h. At the beginning I thought it was a kind of induced interference in the amplifier but then i found out that it comes from the transmission. (mine is S-Tronic).Then, when the transmission is hot after a long ride I hear a faint hissing accelerating. The dealer has been able to hear the sound but they cannot address the root cause. They even say that it is not transmission related. Both things do not affect the car performances so I do not care very much about them. Just rise the B&O volume lol.

- The car desperately lacks a 7th gear. God, it has 380 Nm torque!

- I think I am one of the few 3-doors S3 owners but I regretted about this. If I could buy it again I surely get the SB. It is more practical and the roof rails are very nice imo.

Reactions: David83S3, Pulp84 and Bristle Hound
Interesting thoughts ...

Thanks for taking the time my friend :thumbs up:

Reactions: danilotto
hi @veeeight, I gave a listen to your audio file and i confirm it is your same whine, I wrote "quite loud" but honestly it is better described by "faint". Your is placed between 65 and 105 km/h, mine is localized between to 120 to 140 km/h in VI gear, it is also audible accelerating in low gears.

Did you get rid of it?

I still have the 4th gear whine too. Not really noticed any overrun whine though.

Reactions: veeeight

referring to this audio file
I have made an in-cabin recording of my whine.

Here it is:

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2148814-s3-40-to-60-m4-whine

lol you'd hardly call that a loud whine against the background noise to put this in respect in a £20m helicopter you'd expect the quietest Main gearbox in the world infact they're so loud you have to shout and put ear defenders on.

lol you'd hardly call that a loud whine against the background noise.

Your opinion, of course :p

However, listening to a recording is different to listening in real life, where your brain filters our much of the background noise, so the whine is much more apparent. This is why recordings of streets are much more noisy, than in real life.

Reactions: danilotto
I never expected a new gearbox to have a whine like that, my current car has the same whine, but that developed after 98k miles.