Some advice needed on a S4 B8

driver_hr

Reaction score
Hello guys, i have been saving up for a while to buy a nice car an ive decided it would definitely be a S4. Now im at the stage where i can actually go an start viewing some with the intention of buying, plans are to get one an have it mapped to stage 1 by MRC, definitely a decent exhaust an few other little mods.

Problem is that i really want a S Tronic, but just a quick search online an loads of horror stories pop up about gearbox failures due to a faulty mechatronics system? i know that generally people only post threads to have a moan so a problem with only a small percentage of cars can appear like a major problem. An i can only afford an early b8 so most likely will be a 09 plate.

I just wanted to know if this really was a common issue with the S Tronic box or i shouldn't really worry about it too much? i dont really want to to buy a manual lol, Thanks

I had mine for 5 years and the gearbox was faultless. All I can advise is to only buy one that has been properly maintained and has had its gearbox oil changed as per the service schedule

Reactions: V6_Man
Mine is a early 11 plate and on almost 90k miles, the shifting down from 2nd in to 1st can be a bit jolty occasionally if it's in D. A lot of people have said this is just a DSG thing though. But other than that i have had no problems at all with it, wouldn't even really class that as a problem it's still perfectly drive-able.

You might be able to pick slightly newer one up for a good price depending on what options you're after and mileage. I bought mine on 78k last year and was a very well spec'ed avant and one of the cheaper ones on the market at the time.

I've owned mine for around a month, and I've had the horror story you see. Bought a 10 plate, mechtron was fried had it replaced out of good will from audi luckily. There's pro's and cons with any car and the pro's out weigh the con's with this car. I would recommend a warranty wise cover or something like that if you are worried.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sadly the earlier boxes are more prone than the later ones.2009-2011 being the worst I think. @Dippy knows quite alot about box codes etc

Still very worrying, 4 replies an 1 person has had the problem lol. Been reading alot more online an it does appear to be quite a common issue with the boxes, an also called a few places an cheapest place seems to be around £2000 for a repair. Think i will have to go for a manual unless i find a very cheap s tronic :(

Still very worrying, 4 replies an 1 person has had the problem lol. Been reading alot more online an it does appear to be quite a common issue with the boxes, an also called a few places an cheapest place seems to be around £2000 for a repair. Think i will have to go for a manual unless i find a very cheap s tronic :(

Yup! That leaves the other 500,000 owners of A1's, A3's, S3's, Q5's, A5's etc with S-tronic boxes to ask.

The key to long life of the S-tronic is regular servicing and not too many launch-control take-offs.

Do the A1's, A3's, S3's, Q5's an other VAG cars have exactly the same gearboxes as S5's? as far as i knew it was only a S5 issue

Do the A1's, A3's, S3's, Q5's an other VAG cars have exactly the same gearboxes as S5's? as far as i knew it was only a S5 issue
I don't think they do. But what i would 100% recommend is taking a vcds to scan any car you buy this will show any faults the cars got that don't show on the dash like my gearbox fault. S-tron over manual all day long.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I am having my S-tronic oil changed after 6 years but only 24,000 miles rather then the recommended 37,000.

Oil change dont really cure this problem, Apparently its a design flaw in the 2008 - 2011 gearboxes, 2012 on wards had some revisions which seemed to sort it out. Many stories of very low mileage gearboxes failing too. I think i will just go for a S Tronic an if it plays up i will just have to get it sorted, cant be driving a manual lol

Reactions: xpoweruk
As already mentioned early cars (especially 09/10) were more prone to s-tronic issues. A vcds scan at time of purchase would be a great idea to be sure there are no hidden gremlins.

Lots of symptoms to look out for when buying. Judder when coming to a stop coupled with hunting revs could indicate clutch packs need replacing which is expensive. Jerking when reversing (especially up a gradient) will indicate potential mechatronics issues. Gearbox malfunction warning on the dash when trying to put power down in 1st or 2nd indicates circuit board overheating issue.

Source: I've unfortunately had them all!

Going to tempt fate here, but my S4 has done 81k and had regular oil changes on the box and as far as I can see from the receipts, it's had no problems. We have an A4 3 litre TDI quattro at work, with the same box and it's a 2014 with 150k on the clock and been driven hard everyday, no issues there either

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk