Software update bricking s5 coupe

sparky86

Reaction score
Afternoon all thought I would share some bad news

Yesterday my 1 month old s5 went in to get its windows realigned (known problem) and the seatbelt presenter fixed (another know problem)

And my Audi garaged fixed these promptly however they then updated the software on the car and well

They have bricked the car and have attempted 10 re-installs of the software and nothing is going on, so I am now left with a a3 tdi as a courtesy car as they try to send the diagnostics to Germany for a solution.

I am beyond ****** off with them right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
You have been properly unlucky so far sparky, really feel for you. Have they given you any indication if this is also a known issue, or just their incompetence?

Ouch. It could be a number of reasons why this has happened but regardless, I'd be wanting a better courtesy car as it is their issue and once sorted, a free service or other goodwill gesture.

Hope you get it back quickly.

Ok so spoken to audi customer relations a wel I got even more ****** off as they have suggested my car is at fault and that they will hold onto the car as long as they want (as this is a major update from Germany and any car coming in will get this update) I have logged a complaint case because either Audi don't do good enough qc on their software or worse they don't properly do qc on their cars from the factory

Oh that's rubbish! My is arriving at dealer today and PDI'ed over next few days... wonder if they will update it before pickup next Friday... hope they don't brick it also.

Hope Germany get an answer to your problem ASAP and your out of that TDI! if longer than a week I would be strongly asking for something "more in line" with owning an S5.

So a small update from Germany

Looks like there is a fault with the dashboard cluster and it need completely replaced and this "may" fix the problem not 100%

And another update

The part is on backlog for at lease 10 working days to be delivered and they are now saying its trial and error if this part will fix it. I have told them that swapping a s5 for. A3 tdi isn't acceptable and they are looking at a replacement car with Audi uk now

I feel for you, however the truth is that when one buys a new model with new tech, one has to accept the risk of new problems. And the tech is such that the only level of QC that would prevent these problems would make the car far too expensive.

But I also agree that you are being taken advantage of with the replacement car. I doubt that the Audi warranty T&Cs give any guarantees about what you should get, but an A3 diesel is far from "equivalent".

But I also agree that you are being taken advantage of with the replacement car. I doubt that the Audi warranty T&Cs give any guarantees about what you should get, but an A3 diesel is far from "equivalent".

I don't think it would harm one of their sales guys to run around in the A3 whilst you use their S5 or similar that they will have been allocated.
A quiet word to the Business/Sales Manager might help?

I got a call from Audi last night and they are looking into a replacement car now.

Reactions: Buck
I feel for you, however the truth is that when one buys a new model with new tech, one has to accept the risk of new problems. And the tech is such that the only level of QC that would prevent these problems would make the car far too expensive.

I have to disagree apart from Audi selling the "Audi difference" in all their paperwork and manuals as stricter quality control (hence why they cost as much as they do) the faulting modules are the same modules that sit in the regular a5 and the a4. Considering the b9 platform is now almost 2 years old these problems should have been sorted.

Regardless of a price a new car should not become a glorified paperweight with 950 miles on the clock.

Regarding the now appearing to be long term courtesy car from speaking with the servicing department today (who were suppose to call last night and this morning but didn't) when I called them I stated that if I wanted a 5 door diesel to drive I would have kept my old car. They have told me they will know by Monday now so I'm not expecting a call from them and having to call them before the finish Monday night.

Reactions: deanshaw24 and Buck
Premium badge premium name. everything else now appears so so.
Nice materials used but anything past perceived quality isn't what it was.

Hell, my misses now drives my S3 saloon and I've got her 15 plate Mondeo. no rattles no hassle.
Some of the faults and issues that crop up on this site really make me wonder is there's anything we're buying into other than the image.

I know all cars have problems, especially to start with but this tech as mentioned isn't brand spanking new. If the reliability and quality is nearer 'lesser' brands then maybe Audi should charge less. Or take of the badges and cut 5K from the prices we pay.

Ahh, that's better. Can't beat clearing the air a little

Audi have organised a replacement car now to pickup today... a Mercedes e class

That does make me laugh how they don't even keep you in the brand but glad you have something a bit better than the A3!!

@sparky86 any update on the S5?

New part was fitted and it hasn't solved the problem also Audi uk are getting more a5/s5 owners with the same problem now.

Ah not good :(

Is it an ECU issue or something else?

They don't know, so far they have replaced the ecu the mmi module the dashboard cluster, at this rate they may aswell just replace everything in the car

Well let's hope they get it sorted for you soon.

Sorry to hear of your woes and hopefully they will be resolved soon. I picked up my S5 coupe last Wednesday however it arrived at the dealers before Christmas and is an early build. I've also got the seat belt feeder problem; driver side never moves whereas passenger side does but doesn't connect with the seat belt just pushes past it. I don't think I've got the window alignment issue what does it entail?

I've booked the car in, before reading about your experience, however being March they're fully booked up until early April and if there is anything I can advise them of beforehand, i.e. not to update the software if it's no good or is your car's ECU at fault, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The window alignment issue happens on a rare occasion where you will try to close the door and it won't shut as the glass gets caught against the seal the only solution is to put the window down and then shut the door then press and hold the lock button to return the window to a shut position, it can also be identified when you're in the car and you try to put the window down where it will go down a little and roll back up itself before you have to press it again to make it go down.

Regarding the update Audi got back to me last night and Audi Germany have provided a new software update to fix this problem (apparently) and was applied last night along with a testing plan so I should hear back this morning.

Yep hope they fix it! Will book mine in for the seat belt presenter problem on passenger side..... maybe mention not to update the car although you would think that it would have it as I picked it up last week. Sales chap due to call today/tomorrow for the "everything ok" call :)

Ok so I got my car back tonight and the issue was to do with the gateway module (a broker module between all other modules) and a new update to fix other issues so all error codes are cleared and the cars fine now

Reactions: Buck and Joetidman
Woohoo!! Great news sparky you must be relieved, glad it all got sorted fairly swiftly in the end. Enjoy your lovely new motor

That's good news Sparky.

So is the gateway module a physical part they've replaced?

Time to enjoy the car now

And we're back with the issue that it was sent to Audi for still not fixed. Only noticed it wasn't shut when Audi connect notified me lucky I have that enabled.

Aargh! That's not good, not good at all.

How was the Mercedes....?

Right now I would take it back over the s5

I've had the car almost 3 months Audi have had it for a third of that time

Reactions: DrEskimo

Don't blame you mate. Although I wouldn't be surprised to hear similar stories across the brands.

New C63 Coupe is very nice. Not a big fan of the 'blingy' interior buttons and that horrendous Hudl tablet stuck on the dash though...

When you get it back all sorted it'll still put a smile on your face so whilst it's frustrating/annoying/<insertexpletive> at the moment, stick with it

When you get it back all sorted it'll still put a smile on your face so whilst it's frustrating/annoying/<insertexpletive> at the moment, stick with it

Got the car back tonight and......is still broken

Glasgow Audi couldn't fix it... and don't know what's wrong fortunately I have a video detailing the issue so they can't pull any of that it's in your head crap

Reactions: David McQueen
Got the car back tonight and......is still broken

Glasgow Audi couldn't fix it... and don't know what's wrong fortunately I have a video detailing the issue so they can't pull any of that it's in your head ****

So what are they saying? That there isn't an issue, or just that they can't fix it?

So what are they saying? That there isn't an issue, or just that they can't fix it?

They can't fix it

:(

So its basically that the door glass doesn't drop and then lift when the door shuts or is it the lock mechanism?

:(

So its basically that the door glass doesn't drop and then lift when the door shuts or is it the lock mechanism?

Basically it doesn't drop and prevents the door from closing at all, concerningly this may happen when I'm in the car and driving it may not have gone down right and maybe doing motorway driving with the door not closed fully.

What you have to do is press and hold on unlock until the windows go down then close the door and press and hold lock

You wouldn't think that this would be a big issue to sort would you/. Sounds like there is a problem between the door handle and the window via one of the modules?

Either way it sucks that they can't fix it. What have they said is the next step?

PS Is a better way to open the window marginally before you get out then hold the lock button - marginally quicker and only does your window rather than both?

You wouldn't think that this would be a big issue to sort would you/. Sounds like there is a problem between the door handle and the window via one of the modules?

Either way it sucks that they can't fix it. What have they said is the next step?

PS Is a better way to open the window marginally before you get out then hold the lock button - marginally quicker and only does your window rather than both?

They are going to look at it with the body shop to see what the next step is.

Regarding opening the window before getting out it's 6 and half the only issue is you don't know it's happened until you try to close the door and when it happens you need to get back in and turn the ignition on to get the window to go down, having a panoramic sunroof means when you hold the lock button it closes the electric sunshade too

Reactions: Buck