Softening A3 Sport Models Ride

Chris-C

2010 A3 8P1 1.6 TDI DSG
Reaction score
I am impressed with my relatively new (to me) A3, if I could change one thing it would be softening its ride. I would prob not have chosen the Sport model by choice but that is what I have.

What could I do to make the ride a little more pleasant? Its okay for the short runs but I also do regular 4hr drives and it would be great if I could soften it a little as I am not a racer by any stretch of the imagination?

If anyone has any ideas could you also guide me on approx cost, thanks

Don't have an answer but I feel your pain. I love the seats in my sport, but the ride is awful. I was considering getting springs/shocks from an SE - but there don't seem to be many 1.6 FSI SE's getting broken (or lowered) and it would be expensive for something I can't be sure is going to work. I tried fitting 16" wheels with the OEM size higher profile, but if anything that made it worse as it was a hard ride but bouncy.

I didn't really want to go aftermarket for reasons of expense and having to declare to insurers, but some on here reckon aftermarket kit although lowering the car can give a better ride.

Reactions: Chris-C
Same here , my sport is a bit thumpy too .
I have actually got used to it now but I know what you mean , it can certainly rattle the old fillings .

I find what is acceptable in terms of ride is linked to handling. If the car handles really well I will accept a firmer ride. If it handles poorly (I had a Vauxhall mini people carrier as a hire car in Mallorca earlier this month which was shockingly bad) then I expect a comfy ride.

The A3 sport delivered poor handling and an over firm ride which I couldn't live with, hence I bit the bullet and replaced the suspension. Now it handles really well with an ok ride comfort which is fine. I also went down a wheel size to 16" which helped.

The car feels tight and planted on the road which I like. That said I no longer do long journeys in the car but I have done successfully before.

Good luck finding a solution which works for you.

Thanks guys, I drive regularly from South Wales to Liverpool (no not drug running!) so I was interested to see the handling through mid-Wales. I have to agree with Meejaman, given the firm ride its disappointing to say the least, it lacks the confidence it should have cornering. I used to have an X5 and that handled better and was far more comfortable. Its surprising how much it affects my enjoyment/frustration of the journey. Looking to the positives, the A3 is twice as economic!
I'm not going to spend a fortune on resolving it but will keep an eye out for springs/shocks.

given the firm ride its disappointing to say the least, it lacks the confidence it should have cornering.

If this is the case, don't get SE springs as, although they'll be comfier, they'll be worse when cornering