Soft Top

john A4CAB

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to adjust a soft top so that it stops rattling?

sounds as though something needs tightning up, any idea where the rattle is coming from?

Chris it is the roof rattling on the car, I agree but I do not know how to tighten it

sorry i should have been more clear, is it the whole roof thats rattling or just a section do u know? i know its hard to tell

Chris, it seems to be just the locking mechanism area where it fastens just above the windscreen, I am sure it just needs tightening but I am not sure where or how this is done..

Hi Jon, I tried this, could not find a way of tightening it.

My solution, get some greese and lubricate the top strip and also the lock where it clips in when the roof is down. This sorted mine for a while. Looks like the lock is a sealed unit on the joints so I couldnt work out how to tighten it.

To be honest summer is round the corner, so you roof will be down soon mate.

Have you also noticed on the A4 Cab the rattle / squeek about the sun visor ??

Strut brace would probabloy decrease your front end torsion and cut down on some squeaks?

GFORCE said:
To be honest summer is round the corner, so you roof will be down soon mate.

lol, good point:)

i was gonna suggest some lube where the roof joins the top of the windscreen

a very good friend of mine who works for a very large BMW dealership said they have recentlly been told in their senior Tech training that the best way of reducing squeeks from window seals, rubber outser componenets and joins is to use Silicon Remover rather then Silcon spray.
He tried it on his M3 E46 Cab which to be fair did squeek by the windows and where the roof meets the top of windscreen and it's worked a treat for him.

I was going to give it ago but always thought using silicon spray would help. Hummm
James

George
Yes I have had the sqeek / rattle since day one, again it is the car flexing differently to the roof, I tend to put a paper tissue between the visor and the roof that sorts it..
John