Soft top won't open a3 8p

snowie997

Reaction score
Hi all

Went to get tyres with the wife yesterday as the car is booked for mot tomorrow, had the roof down, got to Costco to have the tyres fitted, closed the roof, did a bit of shopping picked the car up and now the soft top won't open, the warning light is flashing on the display.
checked fuse, ok
checked fluid level which is below minimum with the roof closed so this may be the problem.

2 questions, do I have to remove the unit to refill it?
and what fluid do I use?

any help would be great

cheers

thanks for the response

I saw that link when I searched but it just ends and doesn't tell you how they finally did it, also is it a specific type of hydraulic fluid that is needed?
Just been to halfords who do a general hydraulic fluid for £14.99, but don't want to use it if its going to damage any seals in the system.

cheers

TTCX8A4.jpg

HbfGVlQ.jpg

1AxCHjT.jpg

elsawin instructions

Reactions: downtothebone
Thanks Samisnake
I got some other fluid from the local garage, proper Vag stuff for under £10, so I hope its the correct stuff, thing is the roof is closed and I can't open it! everything says it must be done when the roof is open, can I do it with the roof closed and just add a small amount to get it to open and then refill again?

thanks for the info :icon thumright:

dont do it with the roof closed. theres multiple warnings on elsawin about doing that. you need to check the level when the roof is retracted anyway. you may find that the level is fine.

i would do the reverse of this video

also as stated, you must remove the pump and have it horizontal while filling.

if you do find that the level is low, id be concerned about where that fluid went...

with the roof closed the level is underneath the MIN word no where near the bottom level line. I had a look yesterday before the rain arrived and stopped play.
Do I just unscrew the small black pipes on the top left of the pump to remove it, after the 10mm securing nuts. I see space is limited so want to make sure I'm doing it right. Any pointers would be really helpful

cheers

Tom

its all in the pics above. the level is checked with the pump installed and the roof down. the fluid is topped up if needed with the roof down and the pump laid horizontal.
the level when the roof is up is neither here nor there.

the info for removing the pump is confusing as hell, there doesnt seem need just yet to post them until youve worked out whether the fluid is actually low or not.

Hi Samisnake

Got the roof open and you were correct, fluid level is okay, any thoughts, will I need to get it reset or is there anything electrical I can check such as the switch ?

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Tom

after searching other threads checked the windows and found the rear window on the drivers side wasn't working so checked the wires between the door and main body found the purple and white wire had snapped, soldered new wire and everything is fine, the wife is very happy.

:icon thumright::thumbs up:

Reactions: downtothebone