So whats your default display option?

Schizophonic

Reaction score
Coming from an old 1.4 Civic, I've never had the luxury of having so many display options on my dash. At the moment, the only information I like to see while I'm driving is my MPG when doing any trips. While doing some short town driving I can hit on average 42/43 MPG in my 1.4 TFSI.

What do you guys normal leave on? Is it the navigation compass? Live MPG? Speedometer? or simply nothing?

I didn't know you could choose different facts to display on the screen as you're driving? Does anybody have a list of what can be shown? I don't have my car yet.

The list is endless tbh... Phone directory, music track, speed, mpg 1 & 2, date, trip 1 & 2. Assuming the MMI is the same or similar to my Q3..

I didn't know you could choose different facts to display on the screen as you're driving? Does anybody have a list of what can be shown? I don't have my car yet.

Before I got my car, I too was unaware of what could be displayed.
There are really too many to list here and in many instances display multiple data, but can give you an overview, all controlled by the the 4 buttons on the left hand side of the MF steering wheel.

There are 4 top menus
1. Car computer
2. Music/radio
3. Phone
4. Navigation

For each of the above, there is a sub menu, and under that you can scroll/select further options

The car computer sub menus are (from memory - names may not be accurate)
a. Computer
b. Efficiency mode
c. Digital speedo
d. Blank display

Again the scroller allows you to display various options on the above.

The car computer allows you to display both short term (which can be reset) and long term (cars liftime) statistics
1. Average Mpg
2.instantaneous mpg
3. Average speed
4. Time of journey
5. Time
6. Date
7. Number of miles left in the fuel tank
8. Probably some I have forgot!

The music/phone/navigation also have options to display, but not that many.
i have the SD card sat nav, so this displays basic sat nav info (I usually use the main MMI for this)

several bits of the above information may be displayed simultaneously, need to play with it to appreciate it fully.

Hope this helps!

Ps. This is for my car, cars built with other options may have more on the DIS.

Ah cheers mate! I look forward to playing around with this! Instantaneous mpg is probably something I'll stay away from for my healths sake!

ImageImageThis might help. Even though I've not got my car yet, I've acquired the manual.

Before I got my car, I too was unaware of what could be displayed.
There are really too many to list here and in many instances display multiple data, but can give you an overview, all controlled by the the 4 buttons on the left hand side of the MF steering .

Hi Mark, good summary would be good for the FAQ's

I always have mine on the efficiency display which shows your average MPG along with the journey time and mileage.

I usually have the big screen on either the iPod track info and artwork, or the satnav display depending on where I'm going :)

At first I had mine on effiency, to see how efficiently my driving is. I wasn't aware how low the instantaneous mpg figure gets when you accelerate hard, sometimes single figures! Even in this case, I've found that its better, efficiency wise, to accelerate quite hard when going up hill than blindly follow the gear indication.

Now I either go for the on board computer, with time and average mpg or Digital speedo.
Sometimes i have a game with myself to see how high I can get the average mpg whilst going to work (18 mies) on a single carriageway. Occassionaly, a heavy right foot takes over..........so don't like to be reminded of the instaneous figure any more.

I have oil temp on mine on the Golf GTI so am hoping the S3 will also show oil temp too
Once up to temp, usually just digital speedo

Digital speedo, usually with mpg for memory 1 (current journey) at the bottom. If I've got nav on I sometimes just set it to the nav display, though the junction images you get aren't as accurate as the one on the main MMI screen. I don't ever use phone or media screens though, always do those through the MMI.

I usually have the MMI on media, though sometimes put it on nav through towns with lots of junctions etc that I don't know, as the map and junction view is pretty handy.

I used to have tank average mpg but recently changed to digital speedo with tank average mpg at the bottom.

Sadly that does lose the clock though, and with MMI screen down = no clock at all.

John.

it's too bad the display offers so many option but you cannot really choose what you want displayed. there is so much space there and yet with the digital speed you can only add 1 line.

Reactions: Smythy
Mostly digital speedo for me unless using nav.

it's too bad the display offers so many option but you cannot really choose what you want displayed. there is so much space there and yet with the digital speed you can only add 1 line.

I just wish that the one line you can scroll through when on digital speedo contained a clock display rather than the date display, hopefully might be a software upgrade to sort it out as tbh date is pretty useless as a display option in relation to a line of sight time display

Reactions: ukm120