So, what exactly is wrong with the A3 fuel neck?

The Governor

Reaction score
Or is it just me?

When I fill mine up, it takes an age, I have to pactically trickle it into the tank. If I don't the pump just relentlessly clicks off every few seconds.

The other day it clicked off very prematurely, I knew it wasn't full so kept trying to the point where it was coming back out. When I got into the car it was still easily an eighth away from full.

It takes me two to three times longer to fill up than people around me, who seem to come and go like that scene from H G Wells The Time Machine, while I stand there growing a beard...

Well depends on the speed of the pump tbh, what brand do you use, same or are we talking very single garage you use, as I find BP to be very fast & causes me some issues, other not so.

I find I have to angle the nozzle around a bit then it flows quite nicely (fnarr, fnarr!)

Sorry

I tend to put the nozzle all the way in, then pull it out by two notches on the nozzle, then fill... no problems this way, obviously don't pull it out enough to get fuel everywhere!

Aha ive always thought this. Deffinatly an audi thing as my golf never had this issue. Sometimes its a pain and takes ages usually shell,bp and aral. I think its the speed of the pumps as it may be splashing back.

Try turning the gun/nozzle 90 degree and hold at that angle - (ie, sideways to the normal vertical position) I have had this on several cars over the years.

I find I have to angle the nozzle around a bit then it flows quite nicely (fnarr, fnarr!)

Sorry
Me too, but I think it's to do with those anti-diesel\anti-siphon filler necks! They trap more air if you don't get the angle 'just so' and that shuts the pump off.

Filling the missus' Polo is a nightmare. :(

In general I've used the same garage for the last 8 years or so (Morrison's) My other cars have never had any trouble filling up, but this car seems ot be especially sensitive....

Thats a new name for it :jester:

sulu.gif

I just popped on over there and saw your profile pic is the same. So you bought yourself an Audi aswell then. How you finding it?

i just put it half way in, thats the only way she can handle the flow