So, what does everyone think of the new road tax rules?

GeoffDunk

Reaction score
Website
www.gdluxurytransport.co.uk
With the road tax rules changing later this year, what do people think of it?

You no longer need to display a disk in the window, I'm sure the detailing fans will like this.

Also, can pay for tax monthly and you won't be able to sell a car with tax on it, no longer a selling feature of "6 months tax".

I think it's a good idea. If there's a pay monthly option, there will be a little premium added, just like 6months costs a little more than 12months. I'd happily pay monthly!

It's just annoying that last year I got 3 points and £60 fine because I wasn't displaying my tax disc, which had genuinely got blown out my car in a severe storm the night before, I had also applied for a replacement! They could see by checking their computers that I was taxed too! Ah well, I still technically broke the law by not displaying!

Its bad enough drivers don't get penalised more with no insurance
This just leaves another hole for tax avoiders

Ahh, Im sure that failure to display was illegal throughout the UK!

Last edited:
Failure to display is an endorsable offense up until 1st October 2014 throughout the UK, as of the 1st October 2014 the rule is being abolished.

Not correct I'm afraid. Failing to display is a non-endorsable offence.

An endorsable offence carries points on your licence, failing to display a tax disc will cost you £100 but you will get no points on your licence (might be different in Scotland...)

Non endorsable in Scotland too according to this?

fifedirect - Department for Transport announces increase in Fixed Penalty Fine levels

Sorry for the off topic...

I don't know how the DVLA will be implementing the new system, but I would think it's easier to bluff and BS your way out of a stop check than the current system, you either have a disc displayed or not. Maybe it means it's easier to enforce payment their end? I don't know.

Not correct I'm afraid. Failing to display is a non-endorsable offence.

An endorsable offence carries points on your licence, failing to display a tax disc will cost you £100 but you will get no points on your licence (might be different in Scotland...)

Sorry, my mistake, not indorsable but still abolished October 2014.

Non endorsable in Scotland too according to this?

fifedirect - Department for Transport announces increase in Fixed Penalty Fine levels

Sorry for the off topic...

I don't know how the DVLA will be implementing the new system, but I would think it's easier to bluff and BS your way out of a stop check than the current system, you either have a disc displayed or not. Maybe it means it's easier to enforce payment their end? I don't know.

The new system is effectively already being used. Police ANPR highlights to officers in a traffic car (if spotted) whether you have insurance, tax and MOT which has been used for a few years now so no way round it. The software is very good and very fast and feeds of "almost live" data.

the rule for displaying is just a left over legacy rule, pointless in the digital age.

ANPR does not currently monitor road tax unfortunately, just MOT, insurance and any intelligence markers etc.

Feel sorry for sellers, no chance I'm buying a second car in a high tax bracket that comes without tax, that would of been part of my justification for buying something crazy haha.

Oh also in terms of not displaying the disc mine wasn't on for almost a year as the holder wouldn't stick and I couldn't be bothered replacing, got pulled a couple times and they didn't notice, once they did and I just said it fell off and showed them the fallen disc.

Probably a bit late now, think there's an amount of time you have to appeal.

Edit: regardless it's an offense to not display tax :huh: doubt the police would take the points back off.

Well I was toying with the idea of appealing at the time! And many people said I should of, but in the end I ended up not appealing! Maybe I should have..

I had genuine reasons for it not been displayed. But it didn't make a difference haha!

This all involves the human element. A police officer can decide whether or not to report you for said offence, be it any offence. I have met some very cool coppers in the past and have been let off a lot of things.

I fully understand though that many people have not been so lucky and there are some jobs worth buggers out there too.

Good idea I think for high tax vehicles. High tax bracket puts me off most cars but spreading the cost over 12 months is great I think.

On the other hand, the small cars that got just £30 tax a year on a pay monthly bases seems a little silly.

Reactions: JudderMan
you won't be able to pay the £30 a year ones monthly, in the same way you can't get 6 months tax for them

So will they be fitting every panda car with ANPR, if not then more idiots on the road with no tax, no insurance just waiting to run into your lovley Audi!!

I think this is stupid, the way most o these tramps got caught in the first place was by the 5/0 noticing the tax was out of date first, do the he government not watch police camera action lol

Whether a panda car has anpr or not doesn't matter. I doubt many coppers driving round town could spot if a car is taxed to date when it rolls past.

About a month ago, I reported a neighbour because his heap of crap van isn't taxed. I'm pleased to announce nothing has been done about it. He's still happily rolling around for free.

Last edited:
Whether a panda car has anpr or not doesn't matter. I doubt many coppers driving round town could spot if a car is taxed to date when it rolls past.

Tax discs are colour coded obviously, it's surprising how out of date discs can stand out.

Tax discs are colour coded obviously, it's surprising how out of date discs can stand out.

But if was due in 02/14 or 06/14 surely it'd still the same colour? So if it was a month out. It could be the right colour.

Yes of course, but it's displayed so the month stands out still. You just need to look at the "expired colours" and the month... like so:

31.0713 etc

Yes of course, but it's displayed so the month stands out still. You just need to look at the "expired colours" and the month... like so:

31.0713 etc

Yeh I get that. But I dunno how good a coppers eye sight is at 30,40,50mph

From a bikers perspective it's a good idea, I have had 3 tax discs and holders stollen off bikes in the past, not a great problem but very annoying.

Why can't you sell a car with tax on it? More to the point how will the new owner drive it away if it's not taxed?

That's easier for me as the 2 cars I have in the UK will be easier to tax