So what do you do to stop your car icing over in the cold mornings?

Scott

Reaction score
I got back to my car tonight and the windscreen was iced over, not a lot, but enough for me to have to scrape it and wait 5 minutes for it to clear. My side windows wouldn't open either for some reason. So this is what's to come over the next few months.

I have an early start every morning at around 6.50am and I don't want to spend 15 minutes trying to deice the car, so then I thought "what can I do"

I'm aware that there are some products available to prevent the interior windows steaming up/getting condensation on them. I think there are also some tricks such as using shaving foam on them or something like that. Does anyone here put anything on their interior windows to prevent this?

As for the exterior, I guess ensuring the window is dry the night before goes a long way, as then any ice would be easy to scrape off rather than actually having to wait for it to melt or chucking water over your car. Does anyone do anything for the exterior? Been thinking about covering the windows with something every night but I've heard that when you take it off then it can mist up or ice over rather quickly. Not sure if this is true?

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Scott

I park mine in my double garage...then get in my van and drive to work!!!:)

On a serious note tho...do you ever find your door seals are iced up and find it difficult to get into the car?....if you do, a SMALL smear of vaseline around the ruber seal stops it sticking:icon_thumright:

Ryan

I park mine in my double garage...then get in my van and drive to work!!!:)

It's alright for some!!!! :cold:

On a serious note tho...do you ever find your door seals are iced up and find it difficult to get into the car?....if you do, a SMALL smear of vaseline around the ruber seal stops it sticking:icon_thumright:

Ryan

I've got this BMW seal stuff which does the same thing I think, and it also stops my seals making a terrible noise over small bumps etc which it did before, but this is a good tip as the BMW stuff was £30!!! Thanks!

A trick that I got told about is what they apparently do in really cold places, like Alaska, Iceland etc.

When they finish driving for the night and park up at home, they open all their doors for like 5-10 mins so that the temperature inside the car is the same as outside. So it hasn't got the temperature difference because of the heaters that you've had on. Then the next morning, no ice at all!

I haven't tried this myself so don't know how true it is but it apparently works.

A trick that I got told about is what they apparently do in really cold places, like Alaska, Iceland etc.

When they finish driving for the night and park up at home, they open all their doors for like 5-10 mins so that the temperature inside the car is the same as outside. So it hasn't got the temperature difference because of the heaters that you've had on. Then the next morning, no ice at all!

I haven't tried this myself so don't know how true it is but it apparently works.

If my Golf, with it's prehistoric heating system from the 80's, and my 3 speed fan which actually still works on all 3 settings, I usually open the windows and switch to max fan speed on cold setting when entering my road on the way home. This cools the interior down, so it doesn't steam up on the insides of the windows, but it has no effect on ice.

Last year i used a car cover from halfords which was lined to stop it scratching the paint work. My paint work wasn't damaged at all from it. Just don't put it on on a windy night. Only problem with these things is that you really need somewhere to dump the cover in the morning as it is covered in ice which melts and would make your car boot vey wet it you chucked it in there.