So, undertaking seems to be the new tailgating...

Firstname_lastname

in ur base killin ur doodz
Reaction score
As title,

So I drove from to Newcastle from Reading and back for work last week (I am definitely going to use the train next time) and I was surprised at the amount of undertaking going on, both on the M1/A1M and M40.

I know it sucks that you get a long line of traffic waiting to overtake a truck, but I don't think undertaking 10 or so vehicles and swinging in at the last minute helps the situation either.

More surprisingly though (perhaps) was the fact the offenders where driving large SUV's (apart from one Jag) and not barried up hatchbacks.

The title of the thread is a bit misleading, as there was also a fair bit of tailgating going on too, however its become so common I barely even notice it anymore.

I've noticed this on the increase also - I'm on M3/4&40 quite a bit - and not just when there is slow moving traffic.

Also, this "new" penalty system for hogging the middle lane seems to have had zero impact on the middle lane hoggers, who sit there not giving a toss that the inside lane is empty, forcing people to pull out to go around them. And idiots to undertake them as well.

I think some people are just ignorant/selfish by nature, putting them in a car doesn't make them any less so. I drive in Germany a fair bit and I have to say the lane discipline and courtesy (generally, see first point) are much higher than in the UK.

I suspect that most people don't realise a penalty system for middle lane shenanigans even exists, and i suspect its even harder to enforce.

I won't ever claim to be a good driver, but i like to think i am a safe one.

Reactions: RAF_S7
The penalty system won't work if it's not policed. It's the same as people parking outside their house on yellow lines instead of on their drive, if they know they're not gonna get a ticket they'll just keep on doing it...