So this start up rattle on the 3.0 tdi

joinerman

Reaction score
I have the dreaded cam chain rattle on start up, i did the tensioner on the drivers side but that didn't stop it, when i had to have a new turbo i had the other top tensioner done, that didn't stop it, the engines been out for the last few weeks & while out ALL the tensioners & chains have been replaced, guess what ?

It still does it.

I'm going to hazard a guess that it might not actually be the "dreaded cam chain rattle on start up" then? Gutted :(

Hi Joinerman
I have a 3.0tdi too and have gone through a similar process as you.
My observations are........In my case....
When started from cold no noises.
When hot if turned off and started within 5-10 minutes no noise
When hot if turned off and left for over 20 mins, noise was there.
Park up and leave overnight....start up next morning, no noises
It's worse in the summer. Oil thinner and takes longer to cool less!

If you have replaced all the chains and all the tensioners, I assume you replaced all the slippers and guides too?
Whilst the tensioners are oil fed, they will only remain tight if the oil pressure remains. The fact you have replaced all tensioners would lead us to believe that their integrity, oil wise, would be good. Did you change the 2 top ones a second time or just the others?

So, if we eliminate the cam gear from the problem, where next?

I am going to examine and research the oil pump and relief valve section of the manual and see if there are any clues there. While you had the engine out, did you remove the oil pressure sensor? I think we will need to hook up a gauge to be able to monitor exactly what is happening to the pressure and when.

Please feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss. Someone needs to find the final solution to this issue........It could be us:grinning:

Yes Marty, i get exactly your symptoms on start up, & yes the two top tensioners were replaced again, Audi do a kit with all tensioners, chains, slippers, guides, for £850, the oil pressure sensor was not changed but while my engine was out my mechanic showed me how good the oil pressure was by a small turn by hand of the oil pump drive gear which is shown at the bottom left of the picture,

Without the chains & tensioners on oil spurted out of it's lubrication holes behind the tensioners with ease just turned by hand.

Fantastic picture.
So despite replacing all of this, the noise is still the same?..........No change at all?

Just the same, think i will have to live with it, since the middle of February the car has cost me £5400 in repairs

Hi Joinerman
I have a 3.0tdi too and have gone through a similar process as you.
My observations are........In my case....
When started from cold no noises.
When hot if turned off and started within 5-10 minutes no noise
When hot if turned off and left for over 20 mins, noise was there.
Park up and leave overnight....start up next morning, no noises
It's worse in the summer. Oil thinner and takes longer to cool less!

If you have replaced all the chains and all the tensioners, I assume you replaced all the slippers and guides too?
Whilst the tensioners are oil fed, they will only remain tight if the oil pressure remains. The fact you have replaced all tensioners would lead us to believe that their integrity, oil wise, would be good. Did you change the 2 top ones a second time or just the others?

So, if we eliminate the cam gear from the problem, where next?

I am going to examine and research the oil pump and relief valve section of the manual and see if there are any clues there. While you had the engine out, did you remove the oil pressure sensor? I think we will need to hook up a gauge to be able to monitor exactly what is happening to the pressure and when.

Please feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss. Someone needs to find the final solution to this issue........It could be us:grinning:

I have just posted a new thread about this cause I have exact the same problem!!! All new tensioners, new chains... cold engine no noise 5-10 min nothing and after 20 min it's there!!! Nothing I can do about it... I dunno if it's oil pump but looks like for some reason it doesn't build pressure right away...

Just the same, think i will have to live with it, since the middle of February the car has cost me £5400 in repairs
The same with here... changed everything but it's stil there...guess I'll have 2 live with it 2 :(

I have this exact thing happening to my 14 Q7 TDI. Did anyone figure this out??

My 06 plate 3.0tdi Quattro is a bit rattly on warm start up and I spoke to my mate who sold it me. He said it was like it when he bought the car 5 - 6 years ago and 40k miles.
Basically his advice to me was ignore it, get used to it and just drive the car normally!
My previous car was a 1.9tdi golf with a BXE engine which are renowned for being a ticking time bomb!
Simply did regular oil changes and drove the car for England!