So this part fell out of my car...

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
...whilst driving. Luckily I heard it knock on the undercarriage of my car so I stopped my car to have a look at what it was. It looks very much like a mount, made of metal and has a bolt going through it. Part number is 8JO 615409A. I did a google search and found that it is a weight of sorts...

Now that I know what it is, can someone please assist in telling me what it does so that I can replace it ASAP :scared2: The last guys to work on my vehicle were the guys that fitted my coilover kit so i'm leaning towards it being related to my suspension.

:think:Any one with ETKA please help and maybe post up a diagram of where this unit fits:uhm:

The part is listed as 8P0 for the S3, the 8J0 is a TT part (but probably the same thing!) It's item 20 below.

Picture2-6.jpg

Cheers John!

WTF! That looks like its part of my brakes caliper? Is there any risk driving without it being where it should be???:unsure:

Last edited:
Does look like its part of the brakes caliper. Only time i'd drive it, would be to get it sorted at Audi or a garage mate. Has it effected the breaking at all in your S3?

Braking seems fine guys. The part is meant to be a weight...i'd love to know what the weight actually does lol! Geez i tell you, it can only be the guys that fitted the coilies! I called one of the guys and he seems to know exactly what I'm talking about...maybe the ****** fekked it up when they fitted the coilies and made a quick fix hoping that it would go away. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Wonder what else they fekked up without me having knowledge of...only time will tell, i'll need to keep an eye out for more flying objects lol!

MAybe its of someone elses car? You ran over it and knock it up.

Braking seems fine guys. The part is meant to be a weight...i'd love to know what the weight actually does lol! Geez i tell you, it can only be the guys that fitted the coilies! I called one of the guys and he seems to know exactly what I'm talking about...maybe the ****** fekked it up when they fitted the coilies and made a quick fix hoping that it would go away. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Wonder what else they fekked up without me having knowledge of...only time will tell, i'll need to keep an eye out for more flying objects lol!

Sounds like your best best mate. Take it back to where you had your coilovers fitted and see what they have to say? You could be right they may of done some thing and then just done a quick job to try and repair it. Get them to check it all over incase they did mess some thing esle up!
If not take it to Audi see what they say? Should be fine to drive you said braking seems fine so no worrys there! I do wonder what that weight does?! Any one have any ideas?

MAybe its of someone elses car? You ran over it and knock it up.

Bit weirdo that it happend to be an Audi part let alone an S3 part as well.

it is a weight which is/should be attached to the caliper, I've seen it on mine and wondered what it did, if you find out let us know:sm4:

I would hazard a guess it adds weight to the piston so it retracts slower when pressure removed.

Its weird cause when I was fitting my brakes I also wondered wtf this was on the etka page, I have to go work on them when it stops raining so see if I have this, slight clonky pads

Our 345mm brakes on the S3. R32 & 3.2q are made by ATE & are owned by Continental just for your info.

Uh hold on, I dont have them on my car, this is coincidental, maybe this is related to why I have clonky pads cause this is the only thing missing from my brakes & seems strange this is happening on both sides & these arent present.

It is just a weight from images I've been studying, guess it adds a balancing to the calipers overall, strange, have to chat with master tech tomorrow as thats got me, shouldnt have any effect on my pads either so looks like its something else, damn it, lol

Last edited:
Quite interesting readups arising from that Kaz link, seems some cars possibly need a bridging in the abs controller to be able to be coded for the bigger brakes, namely 2wd cars I believe, some more reading needed I fear but I wondered why coding wouldnt accept in ABS sometime back, urrmmmmmmm

Uh hold on, I dont have them on my car, this is coincidental, maybe this is related to why I have clonky pads cause this is the only thing missing from my brakes & seems strange this is happening on both sides & these arent present.

:banghead:

Quite interesting readups arising from that Kaz link, seems some cars possibly need a bridging in the abs controller to be able to be coded for the bigger brakes, namely 2wd cars I believe, some more reading needed I fear but I wondered why coding wouldnt accept in ABS sometime back, urrmmmmmmm

I cant remember 100% but the abs kicks in too early with the bigger brakes compared to the smaller ones so you need to adjust this via vagcom so the abs kicks in later. It's an adjustment i was meant to do but found the way they are fine for my style of driving!