So much CONFUSION! RE: Audi AMI cables!!

milkyjoe01

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on which cables I need to connect my iPhone 4S & 5S to my 2012 A3 black edition 8P not 8V? I’m using the 2x SDHC slots but I’ve so much music I want to connect my old 4S & also my 5S if & when I desire. I’ve contacted my local Audi who tell me I can’t, it’s not possible with my set up!! Yet a different Audi dealer says I can if I’m not bothered about album art but it is possible & he won’t say exactly which cables I need!! Audi Parts direct say I need the white grommet (lightning) & blue grommet (30 pin), whilst a different Audi dealer says I’ll be fine with the yellow grommet (lightning) & either the black grommet (30 pin) or the blue grommet (30 pin)!!! Jees, it’s so confusing!! I have the RNS-E 2010 version (black gloss bezel, media button instead of CD/TV) with the glovebox mounted AMI interface that looks similar to a CD changer (kind of!) but I’ve no cables. Can anyone tell me which I need from your experience of it actually working or if not then from your knowledge as I am at a loss! Any help is much appreciated guys!

Sorry, I have no idea about the cable side of things.
Isn't it something you can do via Bluetooth?

I have Bluetooth but no music playback via Bluetooth. I can only use my phone as a handsfree phone via Bluetooth unless there’s some setting I can activate using VCDS or DIS, I don’t know. I don’t even know which system I have, MMI 2G, MMI 3G+, MMI high/low. I have no idea as there’s so many details to ascertain which system I have which means I don’t know which AMI cable I need. A Bluetooth dongle isn’t an option as I use the cigarette lighter socket regularly.

Have you tried removing the head unit to see what details are on the back?
As you will have to do this eventually anyway if you plan to fit a new cable, it might be a good idea to have a 'practice' run and double check. Can't hurt if it gives you any info you can post in here or use to get the answer from Audi?

I went through all this confusion on my ‘15 A4 as well. Different dealers claiming different compatibility.

Eventually I found this diagram on the net used by an eBay seller and it was correct for me. I assume the same will apply to the A3.

If you look up the MMI firmware version, it’s hidden in the interface menus somewhere. That would also confirm what you have without having to remove the unit. Anyway, here’s the graphic...

Attachments

• D8B93EF6-C6F8-4394-A01D-51A62DE421DF.png
    D8B93EF6-C6F8-4394-A01D-51A62DE421DF.png
    633.9 KB · Views: 3,226
Just to add to the confusion, i've now found that there's 2 different USB cables! 1 is 4F0 051 510 Q & the other is 4F0 051 510 AB!! What the difference is i have no idea! Anyone?

If we are talking the AMI in the glove box there used to be loads of different cables to suit every phone including a couple for different i phones. Personally i just copied everything on the phone to a mem card and leave it permanent in the head unit

When I was getting the cable for my phone I went to my local dealer and they let me try the different cables first. So you could always try that?

Although I used a Bluetooth transmitter instead because it’s easier