Facelift So long, farewell..

Well thought I would update this thread after a year. It’s been a bit of a saga to be honest. Think I got that Friday afternoon car which I didn’t think existed anymore since robots build most of the car nowadays.
everything that could go wrong with a car did go wrong. From door handles to engine needing rebuilt. Worked out I was at the dealership as much as I was going to the petrol station.
Anyway car was rejected so they are taking it back.

Damn - sounds like you’ve been on a journey with that one pal. I live a stones throw from JLR, so every other car around where I live is a JLR employees’ Evoque, Disco, Velar, new ‘Fender. Not so many Jaaaag’s though these days. F-Types were 10 a penny round here a few years ago. You can spot ‘em all a mile off, they all start with the same number plate prefix.

I really want to like ‘em. Couldn’t do it though, simply because the roads are crawling with them being so close to the factory/hq.

HOWEVER, if you throw an old Jaaaag XJ Coupe from c. 1975 into the mix, as a low key restomod (nowt fancy, just re-bush it, new modern suspension, nice re-trimmed interior, rip the old vinyl roof off, and get the sheet metal on the top sorted out (the roof is the expensive job) and just get the old lazy engine running sweetly, now, that’s when I start to sit up and take notice. It’s the best looking Jag in my opinion - no b-pillar, 3 doors, and looks mint for it.

With the price of new cars getting so ridiculously silly, and with the limited mileage I’m doing these days, I’m starting to spend more time on Car and Classics than Autotrader these days, lol. There’s a whole world of fun to be had looking backwards (in the right direction of course, I categorically do not advocate Austin Allegro’s). You don’t even have to look too far back - I came v close to pulling the trigger on a mint VR6 Corrado the other week, but hesitated, and lost.

589559B1 72A9 4406 A19A 288A5C870AA7

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, AlS3BE and 1 other person
Damn - sounds like you’ve been on a journey with that one pal. I live a stones throw from JLR, so every other car around where I live is a JLR employees’ Evoque, Disco, Velar, new ‘Fender. Not so many Jaaaag’s though these days. F-Types were 10 a penny round here a few years ago. You can spot ‘em all a mile off, they all start with the same number plate prefix.

I really want to like ‘em. Couldn’t do it though, simply because the roads are crawling with them being so close to the factory/hq.

HOWEVER, if you throw an old Jaaaag XJ Coupe from c. 1975 into the mix, as a low key restomod (nowt fancy, just re-bush it, new modern suspension, nice re-trimmed interior, rip the old vinyl roof off, and get the sheet metal on the top sorted out (the roof is the expensive job) and just get the old lazy engine running sweetly, now, that’s when I start to sit up and take notice. It’s the best looking Jag in my opinion - no b-pillar, 3 doors, and looks mint for it.

With the price of new cars getting so ridiculously silly, and with the limited mileage I’m doing these days, I’m starting to spend more time on Car and Classics than Autotrader these days, lol. There’s a whole world of fun to be had looking backwards (in the right direction of course, I categorically do not advocate Austin Allegro’s). You don’t even have to look too far back - I came v close to pulling the trigger on a mint VR6 Corrado the other week, but hesitated, and lost.

View attachment 211975

I do like the new defender. It’s a gorgeous car and looks purposeful like it can tackle the rough stuff and not just a Chelsea tractor.
As for old cars the ones I like I can’t afford. Old astons, e types,
The older f type with the 3.0 supercharger is a nice buy now. Was close to getting one before the s3 but needed proper back seats and a boot.

Reactions: pburv, Jimbob76 and NevMan
I do like the new defender. It’s a gorgeous car and looks purposeful like it can tackle the rough stuff and not just a Chelsea tractor.
As for old cars the ones I like I can’t afford. Old astons, e types,
The older f type with the 3.0 supercharger is a nice buy now. Was close to getting one before the s3 but needed proper back seats and a boot.

Me too mate, the new Defender ‘you want’ is gonna cost north of £50k though. It’s a luxury SUV at that price. Rumours of a’baby’ ‘Fender’ @ £25k-ish for 2022 are doing the rounds in the press this week. In a pared back utilitarian spec FWD form, reckon I could persuade the missus to swap her MINI for one of those (still like her MINI though, find myself missing a manual ‘box more and more these days).

3AD0B0D5 5C30 4970 A518 824BCFADF1FF

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, NevMan and 1 other person
Me too mate, the new Defender ‘you want’ is gonna cost north of £50k though. It’s a luxury SUV at that price. Rumours of a’baby’ ‘Fender’ @ £25k-ish for 2022 are doing the rounds in the press this week. In a pared back utilitarian spec FWD form, reckon I could persuade the missus to swap her MINI for one of those (still like her MINI though, find myself missing a manual ‘box more and more these days).
I could never bring myself to buy a fwd Land Rover. If it’s not 4wd it’s not a landy

Reactions: NevMan, pburv and Jimbob76