So i've just bought an 2009 1.8tfsi.....few noob questions

Ibisa3

Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie to the forums here.

Picked up a late 2009 a3 sportback ( 5dr) 1.8tfsi in ibis white at the weekend. 75k, decent history, clean ( with the exception of black 'viper' stripes !!)

THINK i got it pretty cheap, paid 6520 after some discount due to the spec being wrongly advertised. It has bose, full leather, and a few cosmetic bits, splitter/tints etc.

day 1 : after the usual test drive, paying etc, i drove around a bit with the wife, then dropped her off. We bought the car 500 miles away from home, and were staying with family.

Took it for a decent drive, some long pulls in 3rd from low rpms to 6.5k. 2nd run it dropped a cylinder.....
Drove it very carefully back to the house, plugged it in to a cheapo code reader, fault shown as cyl 1 misfire. Swapped coil 1 onto cyl 2, reset code, misfire then on cyl 2.

Euro car parts - new coil ( i bought 2 just in case) Instant fix. Now pulls absoloutly FINE, drove 500 miles home without missing a beat. PHEW !!! and 42.5mpg too !!!! Normally i would have gone straight back to the indy i bought it from, but was very short on time, and couldn't be bothered waiting around. i figured if i fixed it quickly, then so be it !!!

My only worry now is : i found a receipt that was hidden away in the service pack : 1 timing case, 1 bottom pulley....1 timing chain, 2 'sealants' and a inlet valve. Its clearly snapped/slipped the chain at some point. I had heard about that being an issue, but didn't know this one had been done previously.

Waiting for the last main dealer that worked on it to confirm who did the work - Should i be overly concerned. Bit worrying that the head has been off, but i guess as long as the work was done properly then its fine ?

Off to have a look round here, quite a few things i want to do to it in the first instance, mainly lights and a few bits of body needing wrapped.

Reactions: Sandra
Firstly, welcome to ASN and congratulations on your new car - you've made the right choice!

Let us know what the Dealer says when they report back to you - if they've done the work I wouldn't be overly concerned since it will be under warranty.

By the sounds of it the car drives fine and the coil failing isn't alarming - could happen to anyone.

Cheers !!!

I'm pretty glad i took my code reader, thats for sure !!!

I figure its been sat for a good while, and even if driven, i doubt it got an overy hard time during test drives. If the coil was gonna die, high RPM was gonna kill it !!! So very glad it happened next to a euro car parts, and not at the side of the m5 !!!!

will be asking for opinions on mods soon !!!

Naturally, being someone with great taste you bought your A3 in the right colour ;) (nothing to do with the fact that mine is Ibis White)!

Mods, depends what you're into - sound system, retrofitting OEM technology, wheels/suspension, remap/performance the possibilities are endless....so is this forum's ability to make your poor very very quick!

Cheers, It DOES look nice in white. As i said, it has black stripes. they need to go. I think.

As for mods, its nothing major. Happy enough with the bose + concert system thats in it. Probably do some OEM retrofit (door lights for a start) and some interior stuff. Maybe wind deflectors. and ROOF BARS....( i ski. ALOT)

Lights are a big draw for me. Which may explain why i've just forked out for a rear LED set including loom....and 20w LED DRL from Trups......

Wheels will be getting changed, i knew when i bought the car that the current wheels were ruined. someone has tried to re-furb at some point.....they will become winter wheels, and new wheels for summer.

While i'm here.......

Yakima Pro Rack Whispbar - any good ?

Getting offered a clean set that fits my car for 80 quid........

Wrong colour but a quick wrap will fix that !!!

@Ibisa3 welcome to audi-sport.net. Enjoy your new car and the forum. Don't worry, we will soon part you with your money on future mods :) x

Yeah, i have a feeling i'm going to be spending a few quid in the early days.

Woke up this morning quite happy with my DRL led purchase. Then instantly got online to look for upgraded headlight bulbs.......

Cheers, It DOES look nice in white. As i said, it has black stripes. they need to go. I think.

As for mods, its nothing major. Happy enough with the bose + concert system thats in it. Probably do some OEM retrofit (door lights for a start) and some interior stuff. Maybe wind deflectors. and ROOF BARS....( i ski. ALOT)

@NHN is the man for OEM retrofitting if you can't do things yourself. Plus he will supply and fit and come to you if required. I'm in West Yorkshire if that's anywhere near you so you're welcome to see what he's done on mine.

By the sounds of it those black stripes need to go...

Miles away. Just outside Edinburgh !!!

To be honest, i'll not have a problem doing the vast majority of work myself. Although these stripes may need a machine polish.......

Miles away. Just outside Edinburgh !!!

To be honest, i'll not have a problem doing the vast majority of work myself. Although these stripes may need a machine polish.......

Lol! When I worked for British Gas I use to travel to the Edinburgh office quite regularly. Beautiful place Scotland, ****** freezing though!

if your engine code is CDAA OR CDA then there is a big chance that the chain has collapsed at some time.
I have the same car with the same engine and my chain went and in the process took all the valves with it.
its a known problem that audi know about.
the problem hs its origin n th gaps in the piston rings.
my question is,do you get higher than normal oil consumption.

the chain was changed after a slight timing issue.

oil consumption test is underway just now, just by me thought, not audi.

the foundation of this oil consumption problem lays with the piston rings on specific engine codes of the 1.8 & 2.0 TFSI.
we don't normally hear much about the 1.8 because its not a very common engine.