So I cancelled my A6 order

dave_ph

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
*Warning, incoming rant essay*

So after waiting a few months while the factory was shut down, I eventually lost my patience with Audi and especially my local dealer and told them to cancel the order, as I've decided my money is better spent elsewhere.

I was intially frustrated by the fact I had to wait nearly 3 months before the factory would accept the order (all the time the dealer had my 1k deposit despite no car being ordered). During that time, I had to badger the dealer for a test drive in an A6 as they didn't have a demo, and when they got the managers one, I was allowed it for 10mins (I had it for 30 but was made to feel I was being totally unreasonable) I was getting information from Audi UK about the spec changes which my local dealer (Taunton Audi) weren't keeping up with. I eventually get to the point where the order can be placed and lose more than 50% of the options I wanted due to the MY change.

So I have to sign a new order form with the dealer, the salesman did this over email/scanning docs etc to get it moving (and I don't work in my local town so can't get to the dealer during the weekdays), however the finance form scan was illegible so I couldn't fill it out. I email back asking to send it again but scanned more clearly - he said that they didn't have anything better, didn't offer any other solution so I emailed back asking to post it to me. He didn't reply then went on annual leave for a week without telling me, and still without ordering the car. I ring up 2 days later and a manager tells me they could do the form over the phone (!!). She does this, I express my annoyance and she is apologetic and sorts me out an A6 for the day. To be fair, her involvement was welcomed and she was good. The car gets ordered on the Thursday.

Come the following Tuesday, I've thought long and hard and was really annoyed by the delays, spec change, attitude of the sales staff and decided to cancel. I explained my reasons for them to then say after 2 days fine, we are keeping all your deposit as we have incurred costs. I was never notified that the car was in build process or had an order number or build date, then they suddenly after not replying for a few days tell me the car has a build date and they can't cancel it so I can't have my deposit back, and if I didn't like their service, I shouldn't have ordered a car with them (no sorry or anything from the general sales manager).

They have said they will keep my deposit for 6 months though which I can use towards another new vehicle from them, just to add salt in the wounds. (not sure how legal that is!)

I contacted Audi UK who were totally useless stating they have no control over the franchisee sales contracts etc.

Both dealer (Taunton) and Audi UK seem to have totally missed the point that I cancelled due to their bad service and not really taken any responsibility and are saying its your tough luck for cancelling. I'm on my 6th Audi and have taken my previous ones to my local dealer for servicing, cambelt changes, MOT etc and this is the treatment I get. Even after they told me I needed to change my tyres as they were at legal limit previously despite having 5mm of tread across the whole tyre I thought I'd give them another chance.

I don't think I'll be getting another Audi for many years after this, certainly won't be buying a new one ever.

*rant over*

Wow, sorry to hear about your poor service. What are you planning to do instead?

I concur that Audi Taunton are hopeless and rude.
I was actually trying to give them my money but the guy was rude and obnoxious so I went to a different dealer.
I quite happily told them that as well.

Audi dealers certainly are very variable. Audi UK is consistently useless however, I have yet to discover what they do. Can personally recommend Brighton Audi (fantastic) and Boston Audi (excellent too). Tunbridge Wells Audi, farcically inept. Brighton Audi remains part of a small family owned business that goes back a long way, and they are all the better for it. Anything to do with Inchcape or one of the big chains, avoid like the plague. My brother in law bought a Q5 from Taunton Audi and has had shocking service.

Reactions: Bulldog
Goes for all manufacturers dealerships really. I have done a few recently and my own Audi one did their best to retain my custom the problem only being the cars....

Wow, sorry to hear about your poor service. What are you planning to do instead?

Well I've been an Audi fanboi for quite a long time (I'm on my 6th Audi), so I thought I'd try something a little different and took a Merc E300DE estate for a test drive. The Taunton dealer was really helpful, let me have their demo car for the day and take it to work which is a 150mile round commute etc. They couldn't quite give me a good enough price, but the the fleet sales team for that dealer network did a better price (carwow'ed it) so have ordered an E300DE AMG line premium with the driving assistance pack. I was really taken by the hybrid system, thought the idea of a diesel hybrid is quite sensible. Will see how that pans out

Reactions: DaveW
Audi dealers certainly are very variable. Audi UK is consistently useless however, I have yet to discover what they do. Can personally recommend Brighton Audi (fantastic) and Boston Audi (excellent too). Tunbridge Wells Audi, farcically inept. Brighton Audi remains part of a small family owned business that goes back a long way, and they are all the better for it. Anything to do with Inchcape or one of the big chains, avoid like the plague. My brother in law bought a Q5 from Taunton Audi and has had shocking service.

Have to agree about Tunbridge Wells Audi they are just a bunch of clowns who work there. I got My A6 from five oaks Audi in Billingshurst & had great service from them.

Ah yes, Five Oaks, excellent. Bought my wife’s Q3 there and they are very good indeed.

Reactions: Bulldog