So, i bought a 170 TDi with DPF

WilkyA3

Reaction score
Yeh it seems to be a well talked about topic! I'm well aware of the issues that i can be facing with DPF, i face a 33 mile round trip to work daily, consisting of national speed limits and a duel carriageway so i think my journey is not going to be an issue!

My question is regarding what i do now as the new owner, do i just get in and drive it as normal? or do a bit of hard driving incase the previous owner was a short journeyer. I guess i'll be giving it the odd thrashing but nothing major. I bought it from a dealer but not an audi dealer and obviously i was assured there's nothing to worry about!

Cheers,
Wilky.

You'll be fine with that journey, very similar to mine, plenty of opportunity for the DPF to do a regen

Yeh it seems to be a well talked about topic! I'm well aware of the issues that i can be facing with DPF, i face a 33 mile round trip to work daily, consisting of national speed limits and a duel carriageway so i think my journey is not going to be an issue!

My question is regarding what i do now as the new owner, do i just get in and drive it as normal? or do a bit of hard driving incase the previous owner was a short journeyer. I guess i'll be giving it the odd thrashing but nothing major. I bought it from a dealer but not an audi dealer and obviously i was assured there's nothing to worry about!

Cheers,
Wilky.

Welcome to ASN. Hope you enjoy the car and the forum. :)

You will know if the car needs a re-gen as it will idle at 1k instead of 750-800rpm.

If this happens then just keep it above 2k untill it settles down!

I used to do 38 miles each way to work in a 170 and never had an issue. Infact my 2 previous cars on that commute were 170s.

Get the injectors done under the recall ASAP if they haven't already been done

Other than that you should be fine. DPF's tend to fail because the sensors fail and the DPF can't regenerate.

My car has done 44K now of which I've done 20K of them and 12K of those have been remapped and so far so good..........

Cheers folks. Off to Portugal with work or 2 week then I will be picking it up. Getting slightly impatient now!

drive it like you stole it no dpf problems then

Reactions: Charles Tait
Mine seems to sit at 2,500 rpm on a motorway/a-road cruise, so presumably it will regen if I just drive on the motorway for a while. About how long will it take at that sort of engine speed to regen?

I should be using the car on a 50 mile each way (ish) journey often enough to avoid problems - it's more like once a week/fortnight than a daily drive though. This is pretty much 20 minutes of motorway cruising, 20 minutes of dual carriageway cruising and 20 minutes of slow-fast a-roads... then the reverse to return. Can anyone see any likely problems with this?

Get the injectors done under the recall ASAP if they haven't already been done

Other than that you should be fine. DPF's tend to fail because the sensors fail and the DPF can't regenerate.

My car has done 44K now of which I've done 20K of them and 12K of those have been remapped and so far so good..........

If the car feels fine i'd be pretty skeptical about the recall work. It seems a few people have had more problems after the recall than before. I defo have.

Reactions: M88UES
If the car feels fine i'd be pretty skeptical about the recall work. It seems a few people have had more problems after the recall than before. I defo have.

Yeah, mine came back from Audi with an oil leak due to them not replacing the rocker cover gaskett...

Plonkers!

Yeah , i am also one of these. Recall has made mine worse and still havent got it sorted yet as they cant find fault apparently.

Guess I'm lucky then as mine improved no end and gave me an extra 4.1bhp :D

I do have a mate though where they replaced the injectors on his A4 and didn't fit an o-ring properly; ended up with fuel mixing with the oil............