1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

So DPF’s do actually work.

SootySport Apr 20, 2019

1. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

This year I changed my air filter and on inspecting it is almost as clean as the new one. In previous years the used air filters had very sooty black stains, now they are clear of the oily black soot.
    I can only conclude that DPF’s do actually work.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Daveyonthemove

Daveyonthemove Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I'm confused.
    I thought the DPF filtered exhaust gas which would be nowhere near the airbox, or am I missing something?

CHEZ likes this.
  4. samuelh_888

samuelh_888 Registered User

5. RS4B5

RS4B5 5 pots

6. ab1702

ab1702 Registered User

Why is this anything to do with a working DPF? I’m not following what you’re getting at.

7. SootySport

You’re quite right. It’s the reduction of soot in the atmosphere that passes through the air filter. If DPF equipped cars are are throwing out less soot, then it stands to reason any car will be drawing in less soot to blacken an air filter. I’m surprised no one else has noticed.
    Also good for the little children suffering from respiratory ailments in cities, Sadiq Khan was right.

8. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing Supporter

Or,
    You may have just been following less trucks

9. SootySport

Trucks and buses have been cleaned up more than cars in the last couple of years. There is actually a lot more trucks on the roads these days but my air filter tells me they haven’t increased the levels of soot floating about in the atmosphere.
    Next time you all change the air filter, try and remember what is was like at the previous years service.

10. Daveyonthemove

Daveyonthemove Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Ah, I see what you are getting at now. I presumed you were referring to a DPF on your own car (another point of confusion as you have a petrol).
    Now I know you mean other peoples diesel cars I see what you mean.