So are aftermarket chips really this bad?!

I

imported_AndyB40

I found the following link:
http://home.swipnet.se/850-styling/tuningrisks.htm

Made interesting reading, albeit a bit over the top?

I know it mentions a Volvo but the principles remain for all cars.

I'm interested in other people's opinions to this, especially when so many people use aftermarket chips these days, I myself am considering one for my new Audi A4 1.8T sport about to arrive :)

this reads as if Vulva themselves wrote this because perhaps they are worried that their engines or drive train parts are not as strong as they think they are or is it a case of them not wanting bad press if someone crashes a tuned car because as volvo say their cars are the safest around

LOL, it does look like Volvo (read Vulva) themselves wrote it, and it reads pretty scary! So I guess you don't think there's as much risk as they say there is?

That has to be the biggest pile of w*nk ive ever read! What a load of b*llocks!

[ QUOTE ]
engine torque is rapidly almost doubled, whcich could lead to both unpleasant and dangerous driving situations, especially on road with ruts and holes

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they taking the p1ss?

[ QUOTE ]
Changing or adapting the total system a Volvo represents is not something we recomend.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
However, there are exceptions. Volvo has developed a range of Genuine Volvo accessories for demanding customers who whant more than a family car, without jeopardising our core values of safety, quality and enviromental cencern

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be Volvo writing this... if that aint a plug for OVLOV i dont know WHAT is!

Rich

volvo did have a hand in this artice - its quite old. their 850 t5 engines dont have forged cranks or conrods unlike out 1.8t engines, and the conrods bend above 1.3 bar boost pressure, particularly if the boost comes in at low revs.

they uprated the conrods for the v70 t5 engines and and 850R/ 850t5R

That really does sound like scare mongering at its best. From the dawn of motoring time, car drivers/owners have been trying to improve the breed. IMO tuning firms are getting better and better at this and have to move with the times as well. Production cars/bikes/toasters are all a compromise and there will always be safe (and NOT so safe) ways to improve things. I would have loved AUDI to have bowed out in style and fitted the 225bhp engine to the S-Line A4 but they compromised with the 190 instead. Soon i'll start the road to 225 and beyond. Remember even great engineering will not tolerate abuse......
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif