Snow lance questions

Peter Metcalf

Monkey magic
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm looking to purchase a snow foam lance and snow foam, I've never used one, so excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages, do you just spray it on to a dirty car, then jet wash off then dry or do you have to wash with sponge aswell. Also can anyone recommend a good foam gun and foam which is going to be reasonably priced.
Cheers peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was new to snow foam a few years back, after a bit of research I went with the Autobrite lance
http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/in...heavy-duty-foam-lance-various-connectors.html
Apart from cleaning the gauze once, I've never had any problem with it.
As for the foam, I used VP advanced neutral snow foam takes a bit of tweaking to get the mix and consistency of foam right but works well. I still use it occasionally but after more reviews Ive switched to VP citrus prewash applied in a 5l pump spray. I think it works better and is easier and quicker.

...just to add, I think of this as a pre wash, still wash the car afterwards as it doesn't leave it completly clean.

Reactions: Peter Metcalf
The idea is that you spray the car with the snow foam, with a decent foam and Lance it will be like shaving foam,
This sits on the car and soaks in the dirt,
When you clean off with the power washer the muck comes off in the foam,
So no sponges are required,
This is called zero touch, and stops the swirls being caused by a dirty sponge,
(Like soaking a dirty or burnt saucepan)

This only works if you have a nice clean smooth paintwork,
This is where all the detailing steps come in,
Clay, Polish and wax or sealant (LSP),
To help make the paintwork as smooth and harder for dirt to stick or bond to,

So when people say snow foaming doesn't work it is typically when they think it's a miracle cleaner and all they have to do is spray it with foam,
But you have to do your bit of elbow grease,

That said if you do look after your car, the snow foam method is very quick and easy,

Also worth looking at drying towels, and dabbing dry, rather then dragging the towel across the paintwork.

I also bought the Autobrite Lance a few years ago. For me, the snow foam is a bit of a luxury. It takes a more time to set up everything and it leaves the foam on the drive which results in more work to clean the drive down after. It is a great piece of kit thought and I really enjoy using it - Mental note self,must reorganise garage to make use easier!!!

Reactions: Raiden and Peter Metcalf
Yes, as others have said, think of it as adding to your existing wash routine, rather than replacing it.

The idea is for it to loosen the dirt stuck to your car so some will come off with pressure washing, the rest will come out more easily when washing and shouldn't need any scrubbing.

Also, please don't use a sponge. Because it's flat-faced, any dirt grit picked up us rubbed onto your paint, causing swirls (that spider-web effect you see in the sun). Use a wash mitt instead. Microfibre noodle mitts are really easy to use because you can just chuck them in the washing machine when you're done.

Reactions: Keef and Peter Metcalf
Junkman 2000 has good advice on snow foam if you go on youtube