snow crunching sound on full lock / cold start??

HertS3

Reaction score
My car seems to be making a clunking sound when I first back out of my driveway with wheel on full lock. It sounds just like the sound of crunching snow (but we have none, yet anyway!!) and even feels the same. I'm wondering whether something is touching (brakes?) and I wondered if anyone else has/had this issue and know what it might be. The weird thing is that if I full lock once the car has warmed up, the issue disappears.
Is this something I just need to live with or is it likely indicative of some problem?
My car is going in soon for a PCV valve replacement (and possibly some other stuff whilst supercharger is off - thermostat and supercharger belt) so any info I can get might assist the mechanic.
TIA

Could there be a small stone the tyres are turning on? I get that a lot where live due to the neighbour's red stones scattering over the pavement and road.

At the moment I'm also getting a clunk from the front o/s when doing low speed maneuvering and turning the wheel and also if braking hard and then accelerating again. Could be the pads moving, but I have a front lower front control arm ball joint to tighten up first to eliminate that (accidentally torqued to the M12 spec and not the uprated M14 spec due to the guide I was following). Could be worth checking for any play with your bushes, maybe also checking your inner brake pads or if something is catching the dust shield?

Reactions: HertS3
Quattro is noisy on full lock - something that is often noticed by "new" owners. I'm not familiar enough with the details to explain why. My S4 did it. My S5 does it.

Reactions: HertS3
Quattro is noisy on full lock - something that is often noticed by "new" owners. I'm not familiar enough with the details to explain why. My S4 did it. My S5 does it.
Good to know, will get the mechanic to check it over whilst in for PCV valve replacement to make sure all is OK

Good to know, will get the mechanic to check it over whilst in for PCV valve replacement to make sure all is OK

Could I ask how much it's costing you for the PCV value replacement? I'm going to have to get mine done as well and will probably get the water pump, thermostat and s/c fluid done at the same time so trying to figure out costs.

Cheers

Could I ask how much it's costing you for the PCV value replacement? I'm going to have to get mine done as well and will probably get the water pump, thermostat and s/c fluid done at the same time so trying to figure out costs.

Cheers
parts (valve and seals etc) are around £150 (they were coming out around £500 during lockdown!!) and Audi quoted me 5 hours labour so came out around £1200. Needless to say I'm doing it indie

parts (valve and seals etc) are around £150 (they were coming out around £500 during lockdown!!) and Audi quoted me 5 hours labour so came out around £1200. Needless to say I'm doing it indie

Thanks, that's good to know. 5 hours indie I can stomach. I wish it was a regular PCV valve like other cars! lol

What's the supercharger fluid?? Wondering if I should get it done too.
Had water pump replaced last year so that's OK, debating whether to do thermostat. That's around £100 but I have Audi extended warranty with £100 excess so may leave it and put a claim in as/when/if it goes.

What's the supercharger fluid?? Wondering if I should get it done too.
Had water pump replaced last year so that's OK, debating whether to do thermostat. That's around £100 but I have Audi extended warranty with £100 excess so may leave it and put a claim in as/when/if it goes.

It's a supercharger off job I believe to change the oil, I'm not sure if there's any schedule for it and I was planning to do it around 80k miles but if it's coming off for the PCV valve then it makes sense.

I've just been in to the local indy and they would rather diagnose the car first before delving straight into the PCV valve. They recommended a fuel cleaner first just in case. Worth a try I guess. I'm also wondering if it might be spark plug related. They are only 5 months old but maybe there's a gap issue or they aren't the right plugs. They came up as the rights ones in the ECP search and I'm sure I cross checked it but you never know. I wanted NGK Iridium but I couldn't find any so I got Denso IK24 Iridium.

I changed plugs pretty much as soon as I got the car (got my indy to do a bit of an overhaul just in case) and the car is showing intermittent fault logged by PCV so I'm fairly certain now it's the actual valve (that's what Audi said too).

When my indy came to start working on replacing the valve, the N-80 valve (just under the engine cover) was apparently unplugged which we thought may have caused the fault to appear, but this appears to have been a red herring as the fault still recurred when I drove the car (for almost a year) until the MOT was next due and computer read confirmed fault still there.

I changed plugs pretty much as soon as I got the car (got my indy to do a bit of an overhaul just in case) and the car is showing intermittent fault logged by PCV so I'm fairly certain now it's the actual valve (that's what Audi said too).

When my indy came to start working on replacing the valve, the N-80 valve (just under the engine cover) was apparently unplugged which we thought may have caused the fault to appear, but this appears to have been a red herring as the fault still recurred when I drove the car (for almost a year) until the MOT was next due and computer read confirmed fault still there.

Yep, I'm getting an intermittent fault for the PCV valve also (when checking with my code reader). I think they indy are wanting to rule out something else which may have a knock-on effect with the PCV and cause the code to show. I'm usually on top of these sort of things but doing a lot of renovation at home just now so no free time. I've also noticed that there's quite a lot of exhaust smoke. It's not blue, black or thick white but just like normal vapour on a cold day, but a touch more than other cars. Could be down to the quads though and mild paranoia! haha

Did a quick check and it seems like 101905611G is the OEM spark plug.

I noticed my car is emitting white smoke on cold start this morning which disappears as soon as the 'boot up' sequence finishes (you can tell I'm no mechanic!) and revs down slightly. Hope that's normal!

I noticed my car is emitting white smoke on cold start this morning which disappears as soon as the 'boot up' sequence finishes (you can tell I'm no mechanic!) and revs down slightly. Hope that's normal!

Mine revs a little higher automatically for about 5-10 seconds when first warming up then settles down. I think the secondary air pump comes into play here to help warm it up. I think it also helps burn less fuel during the warm up, I've read that somewhere I'm sure.

I often find whilst sitting in traffic a fair amount of vapours appearing behind me. It's the same consistency and thickness as other petrol cars around me, but mine seems to have more volume and I'm hoping it's just because of the exhausts and being a bit more of a powerful engine. Also, when at low speed and I put my foot down my rear window fogs up a little bit for a few seconds which I think is coming from the exhausts! lol