snapped manifold studs

samsalter

Reaction score
Gents,

Whilst doing a turbo change on my 1.8t quattro.
I snapped 2 studs holding the manifold to the engine.
now the manifold is blowing and I must be losing masses of boost as the car is extremely slow.

what is your suggestions to remove the snapped studs and sorting this exhaust leak?
also would anyone local be willing to do this for me?
because I cannot be bothered getting back into that damn engine bay this car is horrible to work on and the job was a bitch.

I am based in South Wales so any local members that fancy a couple of £ to do this, let me know :)

when I snapped my manifold studs, I managed to use stilsons to undo them after some heat. but the head was on a bench with the manifold out of the way.

So you put the car back together knowing you had 2 broken manifold studs? Is there stud sticking out or have they broke off in the head?

Is there any thread left? Like enough to get two nuts on with the manifold off? If so use the two nut removal method. If not then easy-outs might do it.

So you put the car back together knowing you had 2 broken manifold studs? Is there stud sticking out or have they broke off in the head?
Yes, I thought that the other studs would pull the manifold in enough to not matter. I need to get the car back in the garage and have a look as I cant remember, I hope they are sticking out.

Is there any thread left? Like enough to get two nuts on with the manifold off? If so use the two nut removal method. If not then easy-outs might do it.
doubt there will be enough for 2 nuts to fit on them. :sadlike: