Smug

Paul finch

Reaction score
First snow of the year here down south.Last year,me and the neighbour,me in my bm 240 and him in his 3 series soot chucker couldnt get up the slight gradient.He's still got the bm and couldn't get off the drive.Gave him a lift to the station this morning in the S3.Don't think he will go on about "rear wheel drive " is for "proper drivers"anytime soon lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DW81, TDI-line, Audi Bairn and 12 others
First snow of the year here down south.Last year,me and the neighbour,me in my bm 240 and him in his 3 series soot chucker couldnt get up the slight gradient.He's still got the bm and couldn't get off the drive.Gave him a lift to the station this morning in the S3.Don't think he will go on about "rear wheel drive " is for "proper drivers"anytime soon lol

Funny you say that, our 1 series has been pretty decent in the snow.

I live on a private road and doesn't get gritted but being nice a steady this morning, i managed to get it to the main road through 3 inch of snow, it did help that the ground underneath the snow wasn't frozen.

It's not all about 4WD which i'm sure you know, it's also about being steady and going half right in your head.

Ice is ice and snow is snow no matter whether you're in a rear wheel, front 2wd or 4wd you still need to be light footed.

As for rear wheel being for proper drivers, don't agree with the proper drivers remark but to me rear wheel drive cars are more fun to drive.

Hopefully, I'm "half right "in my head.

I wasn't saying you aren't.. The point I'm making is some people who have 4wd think they are unstoppable in snow and icy conditions when they aren't.

The amount of 4x4s, range rovers or L200 pick up types i see belting about in the snow because they think they are invincible due to having 4wd is crazy.

Reactions: cuke2u, KenL and S32B
Old rally cars were all rwd. It’s tyres and ability that makes the difference. Most lack the ability part.
Driving now is no different to pushing buttons on the PlayStation so no skill involved and when sh1t hits the fan they don’t know how to react.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Ormesome
The point I'm making is I could get up the gradient and the bm couldn't.
Just feeling smug.Not big or clever I know,but I enjoyed it.

Reactions: DW81, frazzeld, Jcbmally and 4 others
I wasn't saying you aren't.. The point I'm making is some people who have 4wd think they are unstoppable in snow and icy conditions when they aren't.

The amount of 4x4s, range rovers or L200 pick up types i see belting about in the snow because they think they are invincible due to having 4wd is crazy.
As someone said in another thread, no matter what you are in you still need to drive with the conditions in mind! Just because you have 4x4 doesn't mean you can do 70 in the outside lane whilst everyone else is doing 50 in the inside!!!

Lads, lads , lads,
Although quattro is good
It is all about the winter tyres.
Fact.
Don't believe me?

Last edited:
Reactions: DW81, Baldyone, Sandra and 1 other person