smoke in cabin b7 170 2.0tdi sline

mhayat

Reaction score
hi guys , i am getting smoke into the cabin and not sure where its coming from , the car has previosly been hit from behind and has been repaired. i know for sure the bootlid is not sitting correctly and there is a gap between the bootlid and seal. the fumes seem to flood into the car when i open the front windows. and can see build up of smoke. from time to time i get smell in the cabin even when the window is not open.
Is it possible the fumes are being pulled into boot. i dont understand i thought the exhaust tips point downwardsso they would drive fumes away from car. the smoke only seems to come in when im driving at certain speeds on the motorway 50 - 80mph when im accellerating. please can someone help???

What help do you need? Your exhaust is smoking - the boot isn't sealing properly and until you can fix that (and possibly the smooky exhaust as well) you're going to get exhaust fumes in the car. There's an area of low pressure formed behind the car when it's moving - its the same effect which causes the rear of the car to get dirty. That area of low pressure circulates the exhaust and as your boot isn't sealing, it's drawn into the car. Opening the windows exacerbates this effect.

What help do you need? Your exhaust is smoking - the boot isn't sealing properly and until you can fix that (and possibly the smooky exhaust as well) you're going to get exhaust fumes in the car. There's an area of low pressure formed behind the car when it's moving - its the same effect which causes the rear of the car to get dirty. That area of low pressure circulates the exhaust and as your boot isn't sealing, it's drawn into the car. Opening the windows exacerbates this effect.

Mike B is absolutely right. Replace the boot seal and you will have no further issue.

No further comment necessary.

Regards

Marty:blackrs4:

replace boot seal? the boot seal looks ok. will a new one mould to shape?

Another thought of course is that given this car has been rear-ended, and seemingly not that well repaired, I wonder if the exhaust has been damaged too and is leaking somewhere along it's length?

the left silencer was crumpled and i had this replaced . pretty sure its not leaking anywhere underenath the car but could be leaking where it goes up into the engine. ive also had a few people tell me that my dpf deleted or drilled. how would i know if this was the case?

Mike B is absolutely right. Replace the boot seal and you will have no further issue.

No further comment necessary.

Regards

Hi

If the seal is OK, then take it back to the repairer to have the tailgate fitted correctly.

Regards

Put a rolled up cloth on the end of the exhaust and press it in hard wile its running to create a bit of back pressure and this will tell you if your exhaust is leaking and it will push the gases out of the leak.

After closer inspection of the boot I've taken out a little section on the left hand side . The bit the you can store things in . The whole of the underneath of this is black with soot . Just underneath this is a vent the leads to the outside I can't understand how the smoke is getting into this . Surely others are not having this issue . I now don't think the boot lid is that much of an issue.

After closer inspection of the boot I've taken out a little section on the left hand side . The bit the you can store things in . The whole of the underneath of this is black with soot . Just underneath this is a vent the leads to the outside I can't understand how the smoke is getting into this . Surely others are not having this issue . I now don't think the boot lid is that much of an issue.

Most cars have automatic self closing vents in each lower rear quarter panel behind the rear wheels under the rear bumper. They are there so you can close the doors without the pressure wave inside popping the door back open or bursting your ear drums. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both were damaged in your rear ender and either they are damaged to the extent they don't close automatically any more or they haven't replaced them. You may have to remove the bumper to get to them properly. The swirling effect mentioned earlier will still cause the exhaust fumes to enter there.

Bumper vents

Check these vents to make sure they close securely automatically and easily. If they don't replace with new or second hand units.

Hope this sorts your problem. Let us know what you find

Regards

Marty :blackrs4:

Last edited:
When u say automatically are these electronic or is it done sort of mechanism. I'm gonna black in meantime to see if smell continues

No not electronic. They work by themselves by design. Careful stuffing things in them as they will be damaged if you're not careful. Best to have a good look first and understand how they work and what they do.

Regards