Smoke coming from the exhaust when i floor it....should i be worried?

paul_r

Reaction score
Yesterday, i had to floor the throttle to overtake a lorry, and noticed smoke in the rear mirrior. Not loads, but enough to notice it.
It uses a little oil over a 12 month period.
2005 A3 tdi, 65k

Any advice.

What type of smoke we talking? Black? Blue? White? Could it just have been soot from the derv?

i thought all diesels smoked a bit on full throttle/booting it, unless it was a monumental cloud & it doesnt do it when normally driving round i wouldnt worry as it sounds normal

Could have just been soot mate, what type of diesel you run it on? Iv'e been using BP Ultimate since i bought the car purely because there is a BP around the corner from me and can honestly say iv'e never seen a hint of soot/smoke from my TDI

Soot doe not make white smoke !! white/water blue/oil black/fuel........come on guys , this basics !!

If it's white probably moisture in the exhaust. If black could be a slightly clogged air filter but generally..................

If there aint smoke there aint no poke...... :superman:

Are you sure on white? White like a smoke machine in a cheesy disco or is it greyer?

Every diesel I have ever owned (5 now mix of French and German) has smoked under heavy throttle, it’s always a grey mix of soot deposits and a little moisture from the cooling gasses as they pass along the exhaust.

The soot builds up over time; clean your exhaust tip and then do 100miles you will see the build-up. Also because your engine is not high revving it does not blow out the soot until you increase the flow of air significantly by booting it, how many times do you drive around above 3000RPM (?) except when overtaking. Also you have 65k worth of soot in the exhaust.

Summary don’t worry.

All derv's do it, no worries. I've noticed the new Mondeos tend to belch it out more than most

I had an issue on my previous mk4 Golf TDI which was quite smoky on full throttle. It turned out to be a loose intercooler pipe clip and air was being drawn in from the ajar IC pipe. A quick fix and it was solved. Might be worth a look if you are still worried.

I saw a lovely White S3 in Leicester, very envious until I saw him pull away from the lights with a big puff of black smoke behind him, definately running on tractor fuel that one.

all tdi's smoke well every one ive seen anyway i work in the car trade its common with oil burners bmw's are really bad for it when they havent been used for a little while
i woudnt worry about it