Smoke after pulling away - does not smell of oil

MingBluS3

Reaction score
anyone got any ideas as to whats going on now. today i left my car running outside the house for about 5 mins, pulled away and noticed a load of smoke. So i went to the local car park for another test. Did the same thing but only after about 1 mins. When i rev the car i got visible exhaust emmissions, i jumped out to check wheter i could smell oil but i could not. I noticed it again this evening when pulling away at the lights.

If i drive along and look in my mirror i dont see anything. Typical as i spent £540 on new tyres today.

Couled the fact that i've not had it serviced be the problem. Its 12k over due.

[ QUOTE ]
Couled the fact that i've not had it serviced be the problem. Its 12k over due.

[/ QUOTE ]

? 12000 miles overdue a service?

yeah sorry to say it. Just been too busy, not happy about it at all. replaced all the coils the other day, had the Cam belt done, rib belt, water pump, new front discs and pads. .And 4 new tyres today.

I will get it done this week if i can get the time. But if theres a bigger problem now i also need to work out whats causing the smoke.

yeah pretty much need to do plugs haldex and a few other things. Getting these done asap. Just checked again, obviously it's cold outside so you'd expect to see the emissions. But it's definatly chucking more out than usual. It's smells of fumes but this may be normal. At this rate i'll be in hospital with monoxide poisoning.

holy crap, service the poor old girl.

oil flters and oil cost peanuts in comparison to what could go wrong... all you need is a clogged filter and you're going to be f*&^%ed..

i hear you guys, i'm just going to get an independant guy to do this for me, he works for audi but does PJ's (private jobs) he did my Cam belt and a few other bits. I just wanted the Audi stamps, but seeing as it's not under warranty anymore i think i might aswell save myself some pennies.

Just out of curiosity how easy is it to remove the turbo?

Is the exhaust blowing at all?

I've seen this before on other cars were there was a small hole in the exhaust and it chucked out a fair bit of smoke but wasn't oily.

I did notice it sounded a bit blowy yesterday when i was revesing with the drivers door open, but the emmisons are definalty coming out of the end of the exhaust.

Yeah the emmisions come out of the end but if it is blowing slightly then it seems to create some white smoke, maybe worth having a look at.

cheers mate, will do. 220 quid for my service, pollen filter, haldex oil, air filter, oil filter and oil, 4 new plugs + whatever is normally changed on a 80k service. So i think i got a good deal of this guy. Plus the guy at Audi who works in parts likes me and does me a discount on all the parts. Audi quoted me over 500 quid for the same work.

[ QUOTE ]
the guy at Audi who works in parts likes me

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cheers mate, will do. 220 quid for my service, pollen filter, haldex oil, air filter, oil filter and oil, 4 new plugs + whatever is normally changed on a 80k service. So i think i got a good deal of this guy. Plus the guy at Audi who works in parts likes me and does me a discount on all the parts. Audi quoted me over 500 quid for the same work.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sure did, i paid £517 for my second AVS including the 40k miles extras.

right it's started happening again.

It did it quite a bit last night, today i have come all the way into work 1.25 hours and i did not do it once. Then i'm sitting behind a lorry for about 3-4 mins and it give out a puff of smoke.

I checked the water last night and it's fine. I also checked the oil last night after resetting the dash and clocking 1000 miles, it's used about 4mm which i think is about right. No water on the dip stick.

I've spoken to a mechanic and there are 3 possibilities. Apparently the CAT will take away the smell of oil to some extent.

1. Turbo
2. Head Gasket
3. Cracked Head.

What is causing this to happen? anyone got any other ideas.

I've had the full 80k service done. Been checking the oil and it's not consuming excess amounts. The water is fine too.... The car seems to running fine.

how much is a new turbo?

how much is a new head gasket?

Can i change the turbo myself? or is it hard to get to?

Essex turbocharges will do an exchange for 420 + VAT. This flippin car is costing me the earth.

how do I diagnose a head gasket problem?

if the gasket has gone, dont u get oily substance in the water header tank? or am i wrong??

checked that last night and today, all seems fine.

Just went out and started the car been there all day so engine is cold, it's smoking but not excessivley just a constant stream of emissions are visible.

[ QUOTE ]
if the gasket has gone, dont u get oily substance in the water header tank? or am i wrong??

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, you can get different types of head gasket failure eg between the cylinders etc. rather than between a waterway and oilway.