Smoke After Idling...

russ3376

Reaction score
I have an A3 2005 SLine Quattro 2.0TDI..90K FSH. I left it at a valet parking for two weeks whilst on holiday, there was no excessive mileage, about 15 miles put on it. Since i picked it up it smokes (Greyish or Blueish) quite a bit on setting off in traffic and after idling at lights etc, never did before. New turbo fitted last November, timing belt changed at 45k by previous owner. Any solutions or theories will be appreciated!!

Potentially, Have you taken it for a long drive since? Maybe a try a full tank of v power and a bottle of redex?

Any decent valet service really should not be putting any mileage on a customers car.is it possible someone has ragged the hell out of it while it was still cold and killed the turbo. Worst still has someone taken your car and swapped the turbo..:undwech:

Not taken it for a long drive, did Gatwick to Heathrow on M25 but didn't get over 30!

You should probably start by asking them why there is 15 extra miles on the car and that you are having problems...

Mine did this when the oil was ever so slightly over filled, was fine if driven daily, but left stood for longer it would smoke a bit when setting off in first for a few times. It would clear up and then if not used for a couple of days it would start again.

It stopped once the oil level was back within the marks on the dipstick though. Was only ever about 2mm over.

It's going into the garage tomo prob for £££££ of repairs!
The valet service say that the park is 7 miles away which is fine, I anticipated that

Collapsed Turbo, fkn gutted. Lessons learned, never do valet parking.....

Collapsed Turbo, fkn gutted. Lessons learned, never do valet parking.....

Have the garage quoted a reason why this would have happened?

If it's due to 'excessive wear when cold', then surely you can put this to the parking company and complain bitterly? (Don't expect to get anything, but if you don't ask, you don't get).

I did complain bitterly believe me! And yes you guessed it no joy at all!.... We don't accept responsibility for mechanical faults... Fkn t****rs

Well finally it's sorted. Two recon turbos later decided on an OE turbo, costly , but lessons learned. Recon turbos are only as good as the guy reconditioning it. The first blew, the second smoked like a chimney and whistled like a fire engine. My advice buy OE for piece of mind and less ball ache...