Smf clutch kit options? Spec? Clutchmasters? Southbend?

CallumEd30

Reaction score
Hi everyone wondering if you guys could give me some input.

Ive purchased a tte420 and now need a clutch and smf, ive had previous a loba/sachs smf kit that was a horrible nightmare, wouldnt shift high rpm and paddle wasnt very good for daily.
I removed it went back to dmf and a helix paddle was abit better but would prefer something better as a daily.

Ok so ive been looking around and seen a couple of kits but want something proven that can handle abit of abuse, still be good for daily and hold 450lbft.
Im under the influence that the steel smf are a better option for less chatter, also less chance of high rpm changing gear problems and a couple ive heard that the aluminum ones have fused to the disc from heat build up.

So ive seen a spec stage 3+ s3alex has been running that and would like to know how that holded up as ive seen reviews that its nicer to drive than the stage 2+ clutch kit.

Southbend silent design stage 2 endurance, southbend say they have sorted out all problems and run the quietest kit and the clutch disc is full so no juddering etc like you get on paddle.

Clutchmasters stage 3 the disc looks very similar to the spec stage 2+ i dont have much info on but there is a guy in uk who can supply this.

Any help would be much appreciated id prefer to buy from a uk based company for warranty purposes etc.

Thanks

Reactions: S3Alex
Hi there....

I've been running the Spec Stg3+ for around 3 yrs,from 450bhp/440lbs,through to 550lbs now,with no problems.

I'd recommend it over any of the dual compound or paddle type clutches,as it's a full face carbon/metallic clutch,and will cope with being slipped a bit,as well as used around town,without any grabbing.
It will also deal with around 580lbs with no problems.

Hi there....

I've been running the Spec Stg3+ for around 3 yrs,from 450bhp/440lbs,through to 550lbs now,with no problems.

I'd recommend it over any of the dual compound or paddle type clutches,as it's a full face carbon/metallic clutch,and will cope with being slipped a bit,as well as used around town,without any grabbing.
It will also deal with around 580lbs with no problems.

Hi alex,

Thanks for reply, did you use a braided line to slave as ive spoke to a couple of people advising to do so to keep hydraulic pressure for disengagement as they seem to expand.
Ive noticed some sites advertising a 20lbs steel flywheel and from all reviews people around 2013 with 17lbs steel flywheels.
From what ive been researchin the heavier the flywheel the less chatter does that sound similar to you?

Thanks

Hi alex,

Thanks for reply, did you use a braided line to slave as ive spoke to a couple of people advising to do so to keep hydraulic pressure for disengagement as they seem to expand.
Ive noticed some sites advertising a 20lbs steel flywheel and from all reviews people around 2013 with 17lbs steel flywheels.
From what ive been researchin the heavier the flywheel the less chatter does that sound similar to you?

Thanks

Hi there.

I honestly couldn't tell you about the line....it was fitted a while back and I don't know.
Having said that it does occasionally feel a bit slow to disengage but only at very low speed in traffic.

I went for the steel flywheel option purely for durability,rather than chatter,and mine was fitted in March 2012,so it would likely have the heavier 20lb flywheel.
It's all lasted pretty well,as that would now be over 40k miles.

I would say the slow disengagement at low speed would be down to the gearbox needing a shim on the service box to tighten up the input shaft as it prolly has some wear now from been 40k on smf. I had same problem with the loba re shimmed it an was back to normal. So you've had no problems past 7k etc shifting?

So all in all spec stage 3+ a great product so now i need a uk dealer.

I would say the slow disengagement at low speed would be down to the gearbox needing a shim on the service box to tighten up the input shaft as it prolly has some wear now from been 40k on smf. I had same problem with the loba re shimmed it an was back to normal. So you've had no problems past 7k etc shifting?

So all in all spec stage 3+ a great product so now i need a uk dealer.

No problems at high rpm at all,and only v occasional at low rpm.

Dealers.....AMDTuning in Lakeside.

I'm running a Southbend Stage 3 Endurance with a braided line. it is a bit of a workout but I don't mind that really. I don't have any problems with it engaging or slipping. Its rated to 485 ft/lb and I'm at stg 2+ on a normal 2.0T

I run a spec stage 3+ it's easy round town and easily handles my stage 2 + I don't really get alot of chatter at idle unless it's been standing for a while running

Little update.

The Spec Stg3+ has just started to slip at 540+lbs after 40k miles use.
Not bad at all.

Reactions: kash_v