1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smelly sock syndrome....Air con

Nick Moorhouse Jul 30, 2019

1. Nick Moorhouse

Nick Moorhouse Lemski

My god its awful!!! Especially worse when you turn off the air con but leave the fan running. EUGH!!!

I've read that this is caused by a build up of mold and bacteria. Anyone know of a fix please?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Scotty75

Scotty75 Well-Known Member Sportback Team Brilliant Black Silver Supporter S-line owners group Audi A3 Manual

Bristle Hound and V6_Man like this.
  4. Nick Moorhouse

Nick Moorhouse Lemski

Massive thanks buddy.....Much appreciated!!!!

Scotty75 likes this.
  5. Scotty75

Scotty75 Well-Known Member Sportback Team Brilliant Black Silver Supporter S-line owners group Audi A3 Manual

You're welcome mate

6. Rich76

Rich76 Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Team Phantom S-line owners group Audi A4

We used the Meguiars one from Halfords in the wife’s Citroen a d that seemed to do the trick

Nick Moorhouse likes this.
  7. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter S-line owners group TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group Manual Le Mans Edition

It may require a proper air con and duct cleaning service.

I used one of the bombs from Halfrauds and I can still smell the odour after the air con goes off but fan still running.

Make sure you also invest in a good quality cabin filter. That helps also.

I've visited above recommended site and will give this bomb another go but if it fails, I'll see the air con people.

Sent from H P20 PRO

8. SuperBoss

SuperBoss New Member

Have you replaced your cabin air filter? they make ac cleaning kits car dealers use these on trades that smell. try looking on line it's a two part kit simple to use.

9. Nick Moorhouse

Nick Moorhouse Lemski

Thanks. Can you recall what it is called? Cant seem to find it on the Halfords website. :redface new:

10. Nick Moorhouse

Nick Moorhouse Lemski

It's just been serviced at Audi. Would that not be part of the service?

11. Scotty75

That would depend on the type of service

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Bishop187

Bishop187 Active Member

I brought this one off eBay. 2 for a tenner. Worked well, got rid of the musky smell.

[​IMG]

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

Nick Moorhouse and Scotty75 like this.
  14. Nick Moorhouse

Nick Moorhouse Lemski

Perfect...thanks

15. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Man TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 quattro Black Edition S tronic

I use the Comma AC “bomb” from Halfords. But yes, make sure the cabin filter is ok as well. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to replace it. If you immerse the pollen filter in a bowl full of hot water with washing powder dissolved into it and leave it overnight, you’ll be amazed how clean it will be the next morning. Rinse it, let it dry, and refit. Your car will smell of Persil. :)

16. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter S-line owners group TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group Manual Le Mans Edition

Upon recommendations from this thread, I got this the other day.

Will try it out soon and report back[​IMG]

Sent from H P20 PRO

17. Nick Moorhouse

Nick Moorhouse Lemski

Thanks. I've removed the cabin filter and apart from a bit of dried plant matter it's nice and clean and has no odour. I'll get one of these air con bombs and give it a go.

18. Rich76

Rich76 Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Team Phantom S-line owners group Audi A4

Just spotted these in Tesco

Attached Files:

19. Dan_G

Dan_G Well-Known Member SQ5 owners group Team Navarra Audi S3

Not the time of year for it i know, but run the heating system turned up to hot as much as you can. Might take a few days to do it, but eventually the mold heats up, dies and then the smell will disappear.

Genuinely works.

Nick Moorhouse, KrisKrk and Scotty75 like this.
  20. tcardio

tcardio Well-Known Member

ounce of prevention as they say...turn off ac 5 minutes prior to arrival and let condenser dry and never turn ignition off with ac on. never had any smell on mine for over 10 years

Dan_G and Nick Moorhouse like this.
  21. SuperBoss

SuperBoss New Member

Sorry to say probably not, If you asked for it to be done then yes but each dealer has their own services and items they like to upsell.

22. KrisKrk

Searched online for the aircon evaporator cleaner, as this is most likely to be dirty, clogged and whatnot and got across K2 Klima Doktor.
    Set with car odour bomb and air freshener as a gift you can get from fleeBay for less than £15 delivered.

What the Klima Doktor does is putting cleaning foam in the right place (pollen filter box) and getting it all clean.
    New pollen filter install is recommended and helps a lot.

That Dakota Odor Bomb is messy.
    I had a clean interior but after the bomb, had to clean it again as the bomb made 1/4" moist layer on whole interior.
    Layed some used and wet microfibre towels, to protect the floor from spray over but with airflow in the car set circulating, it fogged up the whole car.
    The bomb did the job but added extra unwanted work.[​IMG]

Sent from H P20 PRO