Smell of Gas Audi A7

Patrick McCluskey

Reaction score
Can anyone help, When sitting idling with fan on There is a distinct smell of gas,
ie, the type of gas from a gas cooker, also my eyes sting a little
The car is a 2010 Audi A7 Quatro 3.0 Litre TDI Sportsback.
There doesn,t seem to be any noise or leak from exhaust.
I have only just bought the car 8-10 weeks ago,,
Can this be exhaust fumes ? or something completely different.

Sounds like you may have an aircon leak.

Reactions: Patrick McCluskey
Thanks for the reply Gavin, I will copy paste some others I have came across,

https://dub130.mail.live.com/ol/#
Show this message...

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/audi-recalls-fuel-injectors-leak.shtml Audi and VW recall six models to repair gas leaks that occur at the fuel injector valves. By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com Posted in Recalls Audi Recalls 26,000 Cars With Fuel Injectors That Leak January 26, 2015 — Volkswagen and Audi are recalling 26,000 vehicles that could catch fire because of a fuel leak. The recalled models are the 2011-2012 Audi S4, S5, Q7, the 2012 Audi A6, Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid and the 2012-2013 Audi A7. The first customer complaints were recorded in August 2013, when Audi and VW owners said there was a strong smell of fuel coming from the engine compartments. Field investigators checked the engines and related parts but found no problems. Additional investigations further found no problems. However, a later analysis concluded if the fuel injector valve is out of position during driving, a leak can occur at the connection between the fuel rail and the injector. Any fuel near an ignition source will be a serious fire risk. The VW/Audi recall will begin March 10, 2015. Dealers will replace the fuel rails and seals to make sure no fuel can leak. Owners of the Audi S4, S5, Q7, A6, and the Audi A7 can contact Audi at 800-822-2834 and refer to recall number 24AP. Owners of the VW Touareg Hybrid can contact Volkswagen customer service at 800-893-5298 and give them recall number 24BK.

DIY: Gas tank problems Evap Canister Leak Detection pump
Guest-only advertisement.RegisterorLog Innow!
Assume at your own risk, I'm writing this DIY with information that I have learned from the internet and have tried on my own car, I am not saying I am right and this is the solution to your problems but hopefully it can help a few people

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility whatsoever for damages that
an end user may inflict upon their vehicles or themselves
using information contained herein. Proceed with caution and care
when performing modifications to your vehicle. Be advised
that making modifications to your vehicle may void your manufacturer's warranty and may not be legal for road use depending on your location.

Evap canister & Leak Detection pump Replacement DIY

Lets get a better understanding of what exactly our evap system is.
It consists of:
  • Leak Detection pump
  • Evap Canister
  • n80 purge valve

The Breakdown
The evap system is pretty much a big circle between engine and gas tank that cycles vapors. When filling gas, your tank vents through the evap charcoal canister and then out the Leak detection pump's paper filter. The leak detection pump is then connected to the vacuum reservoir located in the front drivers fender and then comes out under the powersteeringresevoir and then connects to the F shaped hose under the intake manifold. on the other side of the engine you have the n80 valve which is the purge regulation valve for the gas tank, one side goes to the charcoal canister and the other side goes off into a Y, one part of the Y goes to the Turbo Inlet pipe and the other part goes to the F shaped hose under the intake manifold. While the cars running the Leak Detection Pump will not vent the gas tank into the atmosphere it will cycle it back into the engine via the n80 valves readings.
Here is a diagram
ImageProxy.mvc

1- Evap canister– Located underneath spare tire well; accessed from under the back of the vehicleclickfor picture
28- Line coming from gas Tank
28- Line going to n80 valve
35,18,15- Lines going to LDP
  • up to 2003 part # 8E0-201-801A $240.00 CAD
  • 2004 and on part #8E0-201-801L $164.00 CAD

Any obvious fluid leaks? This sounds like a similar smell to what happened when I cracked my trans case and was slowly leaking trans fluid.

4I fixed my problem by having my tank removed. Good news-My tank was fine, however there was a rubber hose leaking at the right front top side of the tank. It was near the top so only a problem when full..however lots of fumes and fuel loss. The tank has several hose connections - not sure why. Appear to be collecting fumes on to a larger hose and then sent to the engine. My mechanic was convinced there was a crack in the tank. Well anyways....I bought a used tank (new was $1,400) to be ready just in case. I am now selling it on ebay and it is available for a reasonable price of $100 +
$75 for shipping/packaging(weighs 50lbs). I paid 4 times this from a recycled parts dealer. Let me know if your interested. dlsimmons01@msn.com Thx Dav
Audi to Recall 80,000 Due to Fuel Smell in the Car
Progressive Media - Company News

February 3, 2015

Volkswagen’s luxury car division Audi is planning to recall around 80,000 cars due to issues related to fuel injection system.

Copyright 2015 Progressive Media Group Limited. All Rights Reserved.

The recall will be adding around 35,000 of the affected vehicles are from China and the affected vehicles were manufactured between April 2011 and April 2012.

Reuters cited Xinhua news agency as saying that the affected vehicles include Audi A4, A5, A6, A7 and Q7 models with recall beginning from March 20, 2015. Some of the affected vehicles could emit fuel smell inside.

According to reports, the Chinese economy grew at its slowest pace in 24 years in 2014 and luxury sale has also declined due to the antitrust allegations.

The automaker is also expected to recall 16,725 Touareg models and 9,135 Cayenne and Panamera vehicles due to similar issue.

Copyright © LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy

Instead of posting all this, why don't you take it back to the seller. Remember, you have a 2010 A7 diesel. Don't think any of those links refer to that model but can't be bothered trawling through it all. Not many diesels sold in USA and don't think the diesel A7 is offered in China.