Smell from Air Conditioning

Dylsz

Reaction score
My Air conditioner suddenly started to have a bad smell yesterday, I thought it was a smell from outside but the smell now happens whether I’m blowing cold or hot air, it also happens whether A/C is turned on or off. Essentially whenever I’m blowing air it smells bad, any one have any idea what this might be?

Change the cabin filter otherwise an air con bomb.

Reactions: Dylsz, DJAlix and JohnM100
My Air conditioner suddenly started to have a bad smell yesterday, I thought it was a smell from outside but the smell now happens whether I’m blowing cold or hot air, it also happens whether A/C is turned on or off. Essentially whenever I’m blowing air it smells bad, any one have any idea what this might be?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1005456278

Dis guy is best n funny :D

If you don’t like using chemicals you can use onions. Cut a few into quarters and leave around car and put aircon on recirculating and leave it running for a while then leave onions overnight then air out the onion smells. replace cabin filter.
Onions have properties that remove odours. I’ve tried this in a heavily smoked car and it cleared most of it away after the first attempt.
Great for removing paint smells in the house as well.
thing is it’s natural and you aren’t using dodgy chemicals inside the car where you breath.

Reactions: dp_motley and KenL
You can do a full air con decon, dont bother with those bombs they are a waste of money
Or put your AC on recycle and use a ozone machine, they can be had for as little as 70.00, they use them in house fires.
I have one which I dont use, but took a moudly smell out of my car.

I tried everything but that was the only thing that worked.

The best way to avoid this is to change the cabin filter every two years and leave the air con at all times, and yes, your mpg will suffer.

Yeah years ago I always thought to use it only as needed, but now I have it on low most of the time as it just doesnt sit there gathering bacteria

And better still, the compressor seals won’t dry out and seize the shaft wrecking it when you do turn it on in the summer.

I've had air-con since 2002. I leave it on permanently., re-gas every 3 years and never had any problem.
Once new filter etc fitted just leave it on.

Colin

New Cabin filter did the job, pretty sure my cabin filter had never been changed it was filthy, dead bugs and all sorts, 14 euro for a new filter fitted it myself, all sorted! Thanks everyone

Reactions: AlS3BE and eribaMotters
My Aircon stinks and I have had loads of aircon bombs and nothing helps. only smells for a few secs on turning on and off.

check pollen filter and check for damp in the carpets as damp can stink.
I have replace the filter in the back of the glove box a few times. This gets replaced on my service and I replace between services. Unless theres another filter underthe hood you can replace. Carpets are all dry. Only smells for a few seconds on turning on air con and again if you turn it off. always done it and I have tried loads of different air con bombs and tried really expensive ones. took it to a garage and had a air con deep clean and it still does it.