1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Smell from Air Conditioning

Dylsz Aug 15, 2020

1. Dylsz

Dylsz Registered User

My Air conditioner suddenly started to have a bad smell yesterday, I thought it was a smell from outside but the smell now happens whether I’m blowing cold or hot air, it also happens whether A/C is turned on or off. Essentially whenever I’m blowing air it smells bad, any one have any idea what this might be?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Registered User

Change the cabin filter otherwise an air con bomb.

Dylsz, DJAlix and JohnM100 like this.
  4. Peter82

Peter82 Registered User

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1005456278

Dis guy is best n funny :D

5. JohnM100

JohnM100 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

^ This

6. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Registered User

If you don’t like using chemicals you can use onions. Cut a few into quarters and leave around car and put aircon on recirculating and leave it running for a while then leave onions overnight then air out the onion smells. replace cabin filter.
    Onions have properties that remove odours. I’ve tried this in a heavily smoked car and it cleared most of it away after the first attempt.
    Great for removing paint smells in the house as well.
    thing is it’s natural and you aren’t using dodgy chemicals inside the car where you breath.

dp_motley and KenL like this.
  7. CanadaA3wales

CanadaA3wales Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP

You can do a full air con decon, dont bother with those bombs they are a waste of money
    Or put your AC on recycle and use a ozone machine, they can be had for as little as 70.00, they use them in house fires.
    I have one which I dont use, but took a moudly smell out of my car.

I tried everything but that was the only thing that worked.

8. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Had the same, did this and job done.

9. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Registered User

The best way to avoid this is to change the cabin filter every two years and leave the air con at all times, and yes, your mpg will suffer.

10. CanadaA3wales

CanadaA3wales Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP

Yeah years ago I always thought to use it only as needed, but now I have it on low most of the time as it just doesnt sit there gathering bacteria

11. rafletcher

rafletcher Registered User

And better still, the compressor seals won’t dry out and seize the shaft wrecking it when you do turn it on in the summer.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. eribaMotters

eribaMotters Registered User

I've had air-con since 2002. I leave it on permanently., re-gas every 3 years and never had any problem.
    Once new filter etc fitted just leave it on.

Colin

14. Dylsz

Dylsz Registered User

New Cabin filter did the job, pretty sure my cabin filter had never been changed it was filthy, dead bugs and all sorts, 14 euro for a new filter fitted it myself, all sorted! Thanks everyone

AlS3BE and eribaMotters like this.