Smashed Fog Lens

jphc

RS6 Dreamin'
Reaction score
A truck spat a lot of stones at my car on the motorway earlier..very upset...was a good 5 lengths behind him and still managed to get me. Still assessing damage to paint. Seems a tiny chip on the screen, a big paint chip right on the lip of the bonnet (down to the metal!) and a big on on the roof line :(

Makes all that detailing worthless now.

Anyway it also got one of my fog light lenses. Smashed the thing pretty bad and it doesn't look waterproof now. Whats the quickest/cheapest/best way to replace it?

Sorry to hear this mate. Can't help with ya fog lense but thought I would send my sympathy instead :dejection:

I've had one hit my headlight :(
:(
Sorry to hear this mate. Can't help with ya fog lense but thought I would send my sympathy instead :dejection:

Thanks mate. It sucks because its completely out of your control. 6 months ago the car was in PERFECT condition outside, now i have all this damage and a few other unrelated scratches and a cracked wing mirror casing. Makes me not want to drive the ****** thing!

prob a crazy thought, but, clear nail varnish until you source a repair, just to waterproof it?

prob a crazy thought, but, clear nail varnish until you source a repair, just to waterproof it?
Will check in day light tomorrow to see if this is possible. Excellent idea!

This may be an obvious answer, Ebay may be your best bet, hopefully a cheap fix mate.
JG

I will check the flea bay tomorrow and update. Could be useful for future reference!

just to Clarify I mean use the Nail varnish purely as a temporary fix whilst you source another Fog light, obviously if smashed glass it wont repair it long term, but hopefully may "waterproof" it to stop further faults whilst you source a long term fix...

clear Silicone would be a possible other option but much thicker than nail varnish..so far harder to apply cleanly on glass ;)

Sorry to hear about this mate, very unfortunate!:( .. There is a breaker yard about 15min from me and they are currently breaking a B8 A4, know the guy well! So if you are looking a replacement lens I will check with him!

Reactions: RS5 JON
For the paint I'd look at chip ex. A kit for £40. I had a horrid chip on the corner of me bonnet. Misano red so stood out like sore thumb. Now I have to look for it to show ppl! 45 minute fix. Most of that time watching paint dry. The joys of posh toys!!

clear Silicone would be a possible other option but much thicker than nail varnish..so far harder to apply cleanly on glass ;)
Still both great ideas until i can source a replacement! Cheers ;)

Sorry to hear about this mate, very unfortunate!:( .. There is a breaker yard about 15min from me and they are currently breaking a B8 A4, know the guy well! So if you are looking a replacement lens I will check with him!
If you could that would be amazing! turning out to be quite hard just to source the lens... Thanks mate.

For the paint I'd look at chip ex. A kit for £40. I had a horrid chip on the corner of me bonnet. Misano red so stood out like sore thumb. Now I have to look for it to show ppl! 45 minute fix. Most of that time watching paint dry. The joys of posh toys!!
Interesting....My biggest chip is literally down to the metal, would that make a difference when using this kit? Any pics of your repair?
Mine is black so not THAT noticeable, but thats not the point. I know its there!!!

You should have caught the truck and got the details from the cab and the reg. Then phone up to talk to their transport manager.
Truck operators have a duty to not spill anything on the highway. Low loader drivers have to make sure the bed is swept clean to stop dirt flying off

No problem mate, I am off Friday so I will call in with him to see and I will drop you a PM!

Sorry to hear about it mate, have you tried removing the plastic grille and wrapping the fog light in cling film with a elastic band just to keep the moisture out and keeping It together :lmfao:

You should have caught the truck and got the details from the cab and the reg. Then phone up to talk to their transport manager.
Truck operators have a duty to not spill anything on the highway. Low loader drivers have to make sure the bed is swept clean to stop dirt flying off
When it happened i immediately dropped back. I was in the left lane because i was coming off, so i never actually got past it or close enough to see that information. Good to know there is some recourse for this type of thing, though.

No problem mate, I am off Friday so I will call in with him to see and I will drop you a PM!
Cheers mate :)

Sorry to hear about it mate, have you tried removing the plastic grille and wrapping the fog light in cling film with a elastic band just to keep the moisture out and keeping It together :lmfao:
I squirted it with a water bottle this morning (stupid i know, it was early) and it didn't let any water in. So i took it to work. Seemed fine. Tonight it had condensation on the inside, so its definitely not still sealed. I think i will try this. Although i'm not sure, i might just remove the things an waterproof the plug? Im going to have to remove it to replace it soon anyway...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298123637873
before

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298142786102
after

Great kit. So easy I was thinking about setting up business repairing chips!