Small engine knocking noise

Chicken Hawk

Reaction score
Morning all! Been on here for a while now but this my first real post. Always wanted a S3 and have had since Sept last year, massive history file, low miles (8Ok) etc etc really happy with the car. A few months after buying I noticed a very slight knocking noise from the engine but only when under load and between 1500-3000 rpm, but in the first minute or 2 of driving when cold it will NOT knock, the car still pulls well through all the gears and rev range.......so I dropped the sump off to change the strainer and clean the sump, looked all clean with only slight carbon deposits. I changed the strainer even though the original looked clear and clear and removed the built up carbon. I didn’t think this would solve the issue but reading that this is a common fault I thought it would be a good place to start. I have had the rocker cover off and checked for marks from a loose timing chain but all looks good. The noise sounds like it’s more bottom end but where the engine is quite when stationary (tick over and increased rpm) it’s turning out a right s**t to pin point. I have done 800 miles since I first heard the noise and it doesn’t seem to be getting any worse. I really want to get this issue sorted before to cause some major damage and I don’t mind spending the money as long as it fixes it! Has anyone else had or heard of this issue? Is it worth taking it to a garage and asking them to remove the bearing caps and measure up the crank to check for wear? Any advice appreciated and a bag of haribos to the reply that gets me to the bottom of this god dam noise!!!!