Sludge on dipstick

wickyianr1

Reaction score
hi pepes took my oil filler cap off today lots of sludge under there also checked my oil sludge on the dipstick have i a problem:sadlike:

Is it on the dipstick at the bottom where the oil level should be or is it at the top of the dispstick where it seals in the dispstick holder?

Define "sludge".

If you're seeing "Mayonnaise" then you're not letting the oil get up to full operating temperature (cold starts, short drives etc.) The 'mayonnaise' is oil and water mixed and emulsified. If the Oil got significantly over 100°C (as it should) for a nice sustained period of time, the water would boil off, leaving oil.

Water is a typical by-product of combustion as well as ingressing from other sources, and a fair amount of it gets into the oil. If it doesn't boil off, you get a creamy-coloured goo, which typically collects near openings to the outside world... the oil cap, the dipstick aperture and crank breathers are favourite places...

If this is what you're talking about, it's not "sludge" as the rest of the world understands it.

Mayonnaise-like creamy goo collects ABOVE the surface of the oil. Sludge collects INSIDE the oil, and BINDS the oil.

So whatcha talkin' about? Which one?

-And if you're talking about mayo, then yes.. your problem is that you're not letting the car get warmed-upm and driving too short distances for the condensation/H2O contamination to boil off.

Keith

sorry guys its like mayo i only do 7miles to work and back started going on motorway about 8 miles no loss of coolant need to go on a long blast

Nobody likes sludge on the stick ...... Yuuuk

I know this is a very old thread but I have a question regarding the "Mayonnaise". I have found some on my oil cap and a little on my dip stick, I think it was just above the markers so maybe were its seals? Anyway I had a low coolant warning come up the other day and topped up with a little water and has been fine since. My temp reader in the car hasn't worked for a while, so no idea if I'm overheating plus I only make short journeys, 5 mins to gym and 15 mins to work. Should I be worried??

BTW I have changed the temp sender but couldn't do thermostat as I failed on bottom bolt.

Thanks

Just sounds like your car needs a good run too... You need to get your thermostat changed though as the ECU won't be running the right mixture for the engine as it doesn't know what temperature it's at. I change the thermostat along with the temp sender in my old Mk4 1.8T GTi and it was like a different car plus the MPG was loads better!

Hi, thanks for the reply, Ive managed to change thermostat and replace the coolant. Does feel like a different car, temp gauge works properly now, plus the heaters are so much better.

Yeah I agree, fix your faults 1st, then look at other concerns, as many atime, one thing affects the other.