Slow throttle response

I

Ignition1

Hi All

Picked up my A3 1.4 COD S-Tronic yesterday. Lovely ride, very smooth (surprisingly even with S-Line suspension) and bluetooth works like a dream. All in all I'm satisfied.

The only "issue"...could be normal...is the throttle response which seems to be quite dull and slow to react as low speeds. For example at crawling speed there is what feels about 5cm the pedal needs to travel before it starts to accelerate.

I'm not expecting it to jump forward or anything but like I would be worried with play/dead zone in the steering wheel, I'm worried about this 5cm dead zone with the accelerator.

Or it could be because I've got a 1.4...

Do you have Audi Drive Select? If so what do you have it set to? Different settings affect steering, throttle response and gearing (if S-Tronic).

If not, then it could be that the throttle cable needs a tweak

Do you have Audi Drive Select? If so what do you have it set to? Different settings affect steering, throttle response and gearing (if S-Tronic).

If not, then it could be that the throttle cable needs a tweak

Sorry should point out that I tried a few modes. I kept it on Dynamic for 80% of my drive yesterday, switched between Eco, Auto and Comfort towards the end to see if that changed anything.

On all modes I noticed the dead zone. Even when I put it in S.

Glad to hear you've got your car and are happy with it :icon thumright:

Only thing I can think of is are you in efficiency mode ? On mine it disengages drive until the throttle pedal catches up which gives the impression that it's not connected or slow to pick up.

Sorry should point out that I tried a few modes. I kept it on Dynamic for 80% of my drive yesterday, switched between Eco, Auto and Comfort towards the end to see if that changed anything.

On all modes I noticed the dead zone. Even when I put it in S.

In which case I'd take it back to the dealer to get it adjusted, whilst there is always going to be some slack in the throttle, it shouldn't be that much IMO, and a minor adjustment will probably fix it.

In which case I'd take it back to the dealer to get it adjusted, whilst there is always going to be some slack in the throttle, it shouldn't be that much IMO, and a minor adjustment will probably fix it.

Hopefully it's just a minor change. I'm not bothered too much by it but it was something I noticed almost immediately. And something the other half noticed as well...and she's not attune to these sorts of things with cars at all (or I've been underestimating her!).

Glad to hear you've got your car and are happy with it :icon thumright:

Only thing I can think of is are you in efficiency mode ? On mine it disengages drive until the throttle pedal catches up which gives the impression that it's not connected or slow to pick up.

It could be that. Maybe I need to be quicker in getting onto the throttle. Normally I let it crawl for a second or two (in anticipation of being about to move) then press the accelerator. So perhaps that's what it is. I've heard the term "accelerate by wire" used when describing the A3.

^^ I think most modern cars have this set up now with an electronic pedal.

It may still be possible to adjust any dead zone though worth going back to the dealer to ask the question or try an identical demo car just to put your mind at rest.

I'm eagerly following this thread because I get exactly the same and it's the only thing really that disappoints me about the car.
I assumed it was just a feature of the s-tronic, but from what some are saying here, maybe not. Looking for a bit more feedback on here and then I may call up the dealer.

Can't say I have noticed any lag like that with my car, quite the opposite really and I find the pedal too light in traffic. It maybe just something you may need to adapt to as coming from a different car that was so easy to drive in traffic it took some time to get it right with the a3. Without wishing to inflame but is it a 'feature' of having the s-tronic gearbox, as both of you have it whereas mine is a manual, in combination with the 1.4 engine.

Get a dtuk pedal box. Transforms the car, goes hand in hand with thier tuning box.
. When I got mine, a lot of what I thought felt like turbo lag was pedal lag from the electronic throttle

Driving it more I've got used to it but it still catches me out - for example trying to join a busy roundabout. I press it and it does nothing, or I press it a lot and I wheel spin (which is fun...but impractical).

Sometimes I get it just right and I get the acceleration I'm expecting.

Need more feedback from other 1.4 drivers. Though it looks like the manual is fine but the S-Tronic has the delay.

This may well just be an unexpected side effect of dsg.

I know that these are symptoms that many dsg users have complained of and documented on this forum.

Some users do find it a very on and off affair. I certainly found that to be the case when I tried it out. Pulling out on roundabouts I found either dangerously slow or boy racer fast.
I also found that on some driveways that go up and then down it was really annoying where I'd have to push the accelerator harder to get up the slight incline and then when over the top and on the downward slope it lurches forward quickly.

I think a dsg remap would be the best solution

Driving it more I've got used to it but it still catches me out - for example trying to join a busy roundabout. I press it and it does nothing, or I press it a lot and I wheel spin (which is fun...but impractical).

Sometimes I get it just right and I get the acceleration I'm expecting.

Need more feedback from other 1.4 drivers. Though it looks like the manual is fine but the S-Tronic has the delay.

I just pop mine into S mode using the drive select stick (not the button) when I want it to be more responsive at junctions...

I don't think so with mine, mines a manual and it goes like a bat out of hell with a twitch of the throttle. I use Comfort mode.

Just to ask, have you noticed any 2 cylinder vibrations/jolts? It's rather annoying me, i'm not sure if theres been a ECU update since I collected mine last December. Great engine though, getting 50mpg on a long trip not driving very economically either!

No jolts from mine and I can induce vibrations if I wish too, but nothing in two cylinder mode.

So with an S/Tronic at the traffic light Grand Prix which picks up quicker S or M mode ?

Going in to see Audi soon - I'll feed back on their findings. It caught me again on the way to work - pressed a bit...nothing...pressed more...I put 20 metres between me and the car behind in a few seconds.

I've experimented with M and S a bit. I found that M works better because you're in control while S tries to get from 1 to 2 as quick as possible before you get the power.

Reactions: Rob2k68
So with an S/Tronic at the traffic light Grand Prix which picks up quicker S or M mode ?
I think M to start so that its setting off in 1st.
Can't speak for the 1.4, but on the S3, it is either no difference or S.

S holds the box in gear on the clutch so when you hit the throttle it just engages the clutch and goes. D holds the box in neutral so you have a slight delay but you barely notice it (the clutches are very quick in a DSG). Not really checked which M does.

S does tend to short shift into 2nd though, and then holds 2nds a bit long before upshifting to 3rd. M feels a bit quicker overall I think.

Reactions: Rob2k68
If you have a S3 6-sp Manual, and leave it in "Dynamic" all the time - note that the throttle response program won't actually be in "Dynamic" after a re-start - you have to press the Drive Select button and/or cycle through the Drive Select again to confirm the throttle response for "Dynamic" again.

This will then give you a "Dynamic" throttle response.

It may be the same for other A3 models, I don't have a 6-sp manual so can't check for you.

See:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-drive-select-modes.227471/#post-2270087

Reactions: fastfield, mjcourtney and Rob2k68
If it is retaining the driving mode between restarts (and remaining set to Dynamic Mode) but inhibiting the throttle response aspect of Dynamic Mode, then surely that would also be a bug because the behaviour of the mode should not change depending on whether you've restarted the car (unless they state this in the manual, which they don't)

As a way around this, what if you're in 'Individual mode' and have the Engine setting explicitly configured as Dynamic? Then when you restart you should still be in Individual mode and the engine should still be honouring its explicit 'Dynamic' configuration..

Maybe I need to try Dynamic again.

To be honest after more driving I realised it's just the 1st gear ratio is terrible. The delay is caused by the S Tronic box changing up to 2nd. Rather than holding the pedal at 30% and moving away, the solution I found is to apply steady pressure - i.e. 10%, 20%, 30% so that it's applying increasing power (and fuel) as it does it's lazy switch from 1st to 2nd.

Although what happens now is I move as I'd expect, until it switches to 2nd and then I shoot off.

If you have a S3 6-sp Manual, and leave it in "Dynamic" all the time - note that the throttle response program won't actually be in "Dynamic" after a re-start - you have to press the Drive Select button and/or cycle through the Drive Select again to confirm the throttle response for "Dynamic" again.

It may be the same for other A3 models, I don't have a 6-sp manual so can't check for you.

See:

This would explain an awful lot to me!! Sometimes I feel it just isn't as fast accelerating as it should be. I have been leaving it in Dynamic all the time. However this last week I have had it in Individual mode and tbh feels better?.. or maybe it is all in my mind and feels no different?... lol..

Reactions: veeeight
Hi all,

I am about to finalize my order for a A3 1.4 COD.

After a test drive in a 2.0TDI S tronic (Did not have a 1.4COD available with S tronic, so tested the manual) tried to pull onto a roundabout, and as you said, it was around 5cm before it started to accelerate. Which then caused the car to eventually jolt forward, which can't be safe! Although, I suppose I was not expecting this to happen...

I am now in limbo, i should go for a manual instead of the s tronic, as I hate the idea of a deadzone on the accelerate pedal.

Feedback will be greatly welcomed!!

(The car was definitely in dynamic).

Yes - I'm afraid it does do this sometimes. It's a bit better if you flick it into Sport as you come up to the roundabout.
You get used to it - don't worry about it would be my advice.

I forgot about this thread until now.

Mines a 1.4 COD manual and after a few more miles now I just cannot get used to the clutch in the car, it's like the comments on here... Low acceleration and the car lags or too much and you shoot off like a rocket. It just seems to have no feel to it. I did have a courtesy A3 once which was also 1.4 cod and that one was so easy and never did what mine does.

Its definitely something I don't like.. I do seem to be not liking a lot really about it. In 3 years might change to a 1.8 S-tronic with s line suspension as I've had enough of the SE suspension, reviews say deselect to SE but what they don't say is it doesn't make the ride hardly any better, the car just doesn't corner and totally ruins the ride height and makes the car look too high, if you're bothered about that sort of thing like me.
Not sure though, I'm having my whole doubts about reading the forums here. I know all cars have their problems but for a premium hatch I wouldn't expect it so much. I'm opting to go cheaper but I don't like the new focus, wouldn't touch a Vauxhall and the golf is overpriced and practically the same car anyway

See:
so what if i am using individual and have everything set to dynamic does this stay set when I turn car on and off or do I need to cycle through back to individual to turn it all on if so it's ridiculous !!!!

so what if i am using individual and have everything set to dynamic does this stay set when I turn car on and off or do I need to cycle through back to individual to turn it all on if so it's ridiculous !!!!

@veeeight have you any input on this, it seems crazy to me it drops the dynamic throttle input.

If it drops it, what does it drop to ( comfort / auto ) ?

When you re-start your car, try just pressing the Drive Select button once.
It may have the effect of "re-confirming" the mode you want to be in.

I haven't a manual, so can't check for you, but have a look at the thread linked in post #22, there are many more responses in there.

I can confirm that what @veeeight is saying about the dynamic throttle "forgetting" itself on startup is true. Mine keeps the dynamic steering but the throttle returns to comfort I guess, cycling through the modes and re-selecting dynamic changes the pedal to how it should be.

Kind of annoying but not the end of the world to press a button

Reactions: phil1824
Best way to describe the pressure I put on the pedal to get this effect - it's like pressing a grape with your foot, enough to squeeze it but not enough to squash it. My A3 is currently getting it's alloys repaired and the garage gave me a courtesy car - a 2013 Citroen C1 (terrible).

Putting this pressure on the throttle...for example in slow moving traffic -

- In my A3 it does nothing. If I press harder it'll burst into life and I'll be face deep in an air bag.

- In the C1 it revs and moves slightly (and WOW it feels good to have that sort of response...best bit about having that courtesy car!).

- In my Dad's 2006 A6 it revs and moves slightly, same as the C1 and what I'd expect.

Clearly this doesn't affect everyone and might not be limited to just the 1.4 COD. I also don't think it's anything to do with Dynamic, or S-Tronic. There is definitely a "dead" zone and feels like it needs tuning.

As soon as I get it back I'll find some time and take it to Audi. And I will do it this time...!

Reading this review - http://www.caradvice.com.au/365360/2015-audi-a3-sportback-1-4tfsi-cod-review-long-term-report-one/

One comment was interesting - "As we’ve written in the past, the dual-clutch transmission has some hesitancy from a standstill, but once you learn how the gearbox wants to behave it is easy to counteract in most circumstances. There are, however, moments when you plant your foot and seemingly wait a little longer than you’d hope for the initial progress to be made – crossing intersections, for instance."

I think that describes it quite well. I'll still take it to Audi to see if anything can be done but it looks like an S-Tronic thing?

Just came back from Audi Watford. The technician had a go and said it was "pretty close to normal". We tried a few driving modes though the delay exists, but is less noticeable in Dynamic of course.

Essentially he said it's normal. Which is a shame.

See:

I've seen this comment from Veeeight before and I've never noticed that it doesn't stay in dynamic. I've specifically tried it many many times and I'm convinced mine stays in dynamic, resetting it makes no difference at all, but it is obvious if I set it on other modes. So if I reset it to dynamic it doesn't alter anything, but if I change the setting then the sensitivity change is very noticeable.

As far as so much free play I'm guessing that it's an adjustment thing.

I've now learned to accommodate the throttle response when pulling away - just anticipate the gap and press the gas half second early !

Not ideal I know but seems to work !!!!

I've now learned to accommodate the throttle response when pulling away - just anticipate the gap and press the gas half second early !

Not ideal I know but seems to work !!!!

Same - I think I've got used to it. Shifting to Dynamic helps I think, or keeping S-Tronic in manual mode when you need it to react. That's what the engineer said. Though I was thinking - fair enough, but I'm not going to switch to Dynamic/Manual every time I get near a junction/roundabout!

Anyway the silver lining to all this is that driving any other car with a "normal" throttle feels amazing...so when I change from an A3 to something else it'll feel like a dream lol.