Slow leak in Cabrio hood

sebbelcher

Reaction score
So, it's not been a great start for my Audi owning days. First get the oil-sludge problem, now discover I have a leak in the roof. That'll teach me to buy private.

The leak is very slow, as I've said in another post, if you left it overnight in torrential rain in the morning there would be no more than a thimble's worth of water. The problem is not present at all if driving along in the rain, which leads me to think it's a slow 'seepage' type leak caused by standing water pooling somewhere. In fact it doesn't bother me at all, with the air-con on the water dries out within a matter of minutes, but the missus doesn't like drips of cold water in the morning!

It drips from the passenger corner of the plastic interior cover along the front edge of the roof. I've inspected the rubber seal along the exterior front of the roof and it looks fine, greening a little bit in places, but generally sound. I've also had a close look at rubber rain catcher on the top of screen pillar and it too looks to be in great condition.

Anyone had any experience of such a problem? Any ideas what it might be? I read on another forum that a similar problem was solved simply by the dealer 'tightening' the roof, anyone got any idea what that means?

Also generally, what products do people use to keep the roof in tip-top waterproof condition?

Thanks.
Seb.

Actually come to think of it, this is definitely something that has developed since I got the car, not a long term problem. I can remember several heavy down pours in my first weeks of ownership and no sign of any leak.

my MR2 G-Limited T-Bar roof used to leak like a ****** in heavy rain, and it was the sealing rubbers where the roof panel met the windscreen. I used silicon (black) and coated the original rubbers with a layer of it (taped off then smeared on with fingers and smoothed with damp cloth) and it sealed fine after that.

The cab roof must have some adjustment but don't know the details mate, someone will come along who knows tho I bet :)

You could test it by showering the car with a watering can or hose and see if someone inside can see where its getting in?

i find that even though all the roof/window/windscreen ledge contact surfaces can look clean, fine dust and dirt can upset the fit enough to make the roof rattle and squeak a bit. after i have cleaned the contact areas thoroughly, the roof quietens down. maybe there is a bit of dirt build-up somewhere that hase created a gap big enough for heavy rainfall to penetrate?

just an idea.

Hi Seb and hope im not hijacking your post!!,

Ive not got that problem but i was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the A3 cab hood?
Bought my 09 plate 3 weeks ago and its already been in the garage to be looked at.
Ive got wear patches on the roof in places where it is obviously rubbing on the mechanisms when i open and close it. The wear patches are pretty much on to the last threads in 3 places (no bigger than a 10 pence piece size) I do have pics of this and would put them on if i wasnt a newbie and not used to this site yet lol.
The Audi garage looked at it, emailed pics back to Audi warrenty and Audi warrenty are rejecting that it is a warrenty case!! Its 3 weks old!! Im obviously not happy with this outcome and am taking it further.

Anyway im wondering if anyone else has had probs like this with the hood.....and im sorry if ive posted in the wrong place, i just need to get familiarised with this forum 1st,

Cheers,
Melanie

Hi seb,

I bought an A3 cab in sept last year. Originally I was going to buy a VW EOS but was put off by the apparent roof leaks and when I went to the car supermarket at Cannock everyone of the 5 I looked at had wet carpets. I decided to do a bit of research and was slightly hesitant at buying one, Anyway, as luck would have it I managed to get a good deal on an A3 cab.

I digress, have a look at this link, it may or may not be useful. I found it in my research!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3087297

Hope it helps, it may be that the rubbers need lubricating with this fluid

Melanie,

I wouldn't worry too much. My A4 Cab is 5 years old and it has big wear patches on it, obviously from where the roof rubs and creases when it folds. They are apparent as having a 'darker' appearance compared to the rest of the roof and on closer inspection you can actually see broken threads of the roof fabric.

That said, I have no problems with leaks from any of these areas, I think that the waterproof membrane of the roof is protected beneath several layers of the outer fabric.

Not sure if anyone has any tips for improving the longevity of the fabric though?

pns2007,

Thanks for the link to a great article. Whilst the A4 Cab roof is obviously a great deal different to the EOS roof, the type of material used on the roof seals looks to be exactly the same. Mine is indeed looking a little dull and I will be purchasing some of that fluid straight away.

Thanks again.

speedy
i use the autoglym version of that and get great results, it just beads up and runs off.

speedy
i use the autoglym version of that and get great results, it just beads up and runs off.

Hey 1wheelonly - How's things ?

I use a lot Autoglym polish, gloss and wax but my friend used the hood kit that they do and as good as it is I didn't think it was as good as the Renovo kit. However it is a lot cheaper!

So there you go guy's both great kits but just depends on what you want to spend ?